• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bump

Shawn Burr has passed away per Bill Roose

Rate this topic

This one is especially tough to swallow. He was good friends with my coach back in high school, and would show up to practice every now and again and lace em up. I was lucky to be on a line with a kid who never came to practice, so coach would put Shawn Burr on my line, and we would practice three-on-twos, and power plays and whatever else we needed to work on together. It was so awesome to have Shawn Burr feeding me one-timers, and vice-versa. He was such a cheerful guy, always complimenting our game and giving us tips whenever we needed it.

Man this is sad news:( he was a great man and teammate. Redwings website has a very nice video if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Short but sweet. Lots of great memories from his playing days. Another player who I wish was on the team when they won the cup in 97

Its a truism in the west that we don't like to speak ill of the dead. If Gary Bettman died tomorrow, the media would be full of stories of what a great guy he was, how he loved his family, all the charity work he did that no-one knew about.....

With Shawn Burr, its very obvious - VERY obvious - that he was a genuinely great guy. Various forums, news sites, Facebook, are all full of little personal anecdotes like the one Echolalia tells above. The mother whose murdered son was a friend of his daughter, the beer league team he bought a full set of kit for, his interaction with fans away from the rink.

Shawn Burr was a genuinely larger than life character, a giant-assed goofball with a heart of gold.

Guest Playmaker

I can just hear Burr now. "You won't believe this one. I beat cancer and then did a swan dive down the stairs. They tell me I croaked from brain swelling, but I keep telling them I don't have any brains!"