• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

All I ever had to know about Mr. Burr: when he first joined the Club, Sergei Fedorov roomed with Shawn, who told him the best way to learn how to speak English was to watch cartoons on television. 

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#22 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

This is terribly sad.

My brother has an old Dodge Neon that he bought at an auction from the Detroit News. It has a small "11" behind the front tire on both sides. I have always referred to this car as Shawn Burr.

I think this should end the debate about who should wear #11 this season too.... No one.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#23 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Mitch Albom on Shawn Burr

He had a boy’s face and a boy’s haircut and he lived every minute, but in life, as in hockey, sometimes you don’t get enough minutes. I learned the news an hour ago, and as I sat down to write, I felt like melted ice. 

Stop the laughter. Shawn Burr is gone. He was a light, but that light is out. I know no one lives forever. But this just feels unfair.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#24 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Rest in peace, Shawn, and thank you for the contributions you made to the sport of hockey. Prayers for you and your family.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#25 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

Very sad... battling cancer and then dying like this.  I started watching the Wings right at the end of Burr's time with them, so I don't have many memories watching him play.  Sounds like he was a great guy and a fun team mate.

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

What a shame. He was much loved by many hometown favorites and beyond. RIP

#27 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

This one is especially tough to swallow.  He was good friends with my coach back in high school, and would show up to practice every now and again and lace em up.  I was lucky to be on a line with a kid who never came to practice, so coach would put Shawn Burr on my line, and we would practice three-on-twos, and power plays and whatever else we needed to work on together.  It was so awesome to have Shawn Burr feeding me one-timers, and vice-versa.  He was such a cheerful guy, always complimenting our game and giving us tips whenever we needed it.

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

didn't Shawn and Dino co-own a minor league team in Sarnia?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#29 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Man this is sad news:( he was a great man and teammate. Redwings website has a very nice video if anyone hasn't seen it yet. Short but sweet. Lots of great memories from his playing days. Another player who I wish was on the team when they won the cup in 97
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#30 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

Its a truism in the west that we don't like to speak ill of the dead.  If Gary Bettman died tomorrow, the media would be full of stories of what a great guy he was, how he loved his family, all the charity work he did that no-one knew about.....

With Shawn Burr, its very obvious - VERY obvious - that he was a genuinely great guy.  Various forums, news sites, Facebook, are all full of little personal anecdotes like the one Echolalia tells above.  The mother whose murdered son was a friend of his daughter, the beer league team he bought a full set of kit for, his interaction with fans away from the rink. 

Shawn Burr was a genuinely larger than life character, a giant-assed goofball with a heart of gold.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#31 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Praying for his family that they find some peace during this time :(.

#32 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

I can just hear Burr now. "You won't believe this one. I beat cancer and then did a swan dive down the stairs. They tell me I croaked from brain swelling, but I keep telling them I don't have any brains!"

#33 Hockeytown999

Hockeytown999

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

One of my favorite all time wings. The best defensive shutdown center they had in the mid/late 80's. Threw excellent big hits and generally made himself a pain to play against.

A lot of heart this man had.

A true shame.

Rest in peace Shawn