• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bump

Shawn Burr has passed away per Bill Roose

Rate this topic

Former Red Wings winger Shawn Burr dies 47-year-old Burr dies after fall at home

DETROIT -

Former Detroit Red Wings winger Shawn Burr has died. He was 47.

Burr died Monday at a Detroit-area hospital after falling at his home this weekend.

The former professional hockey player had been battling cancer.

Burr was drafted 7th overall by the Red Wings in 1984. He played 878 games with Detroit, the Tampa Bay Lightning and the San Jose Sharks.

During the course of his career he scored 181 goals and tallied 259 assists. His most notable season with the Red Wings was 1989-90 when he scored 56 points in 76 games.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/hockey/former-red-wings-winger-shawn-burr-dies/-/2286174/21343476/-/11tvpwm/-/index.html

RIP

As a kid I watched the Wings practice in Oak Park a handful of times. One practice a friend and I were near the corner, watching players through the glass. A puck shoots off the glass right by our head scaring the crap out of both of us. We look over and Shawn Burr is there smiling at us as he scoops up another puck and skates away.

Good player, and he always seemed like a great lockerroom guy and a goofball like Ozzy or Drapes were.

I think of something Groucho Marx said once..."He loved life and lived it joyously and deeply, and that's as good an epitaph as anyone can have."

Rest in peace, Shawn, and when you get to where you're going, would you say hi to Brad McCrimmon, Ruslan Salei and Stefan Liv for us?

Sad...very sad.

Shawn was one of three Red Wings who I wished were still around for the 1997 Cup win...Him, Bob Probert and Dino Ciccarelli. Two of those guys have left this world now. Both FAR too soon!

RIP Shawn Burr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVJF5SYO4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEN6_QOkVTw

Shawn had Leukemia, Acute Leukemia more specifically. He had a bone marrow donor match ready and was awaiting the procedure. Acute Leukemia is no joke, back in 1994, my Aunt was diagnosed with it and was admitted to the hospital on April 1st, she was dead on April 30th. She was 30 years old. Below is a video talking about his battle with the disease and the efforts he made to our community to bring awareness to us and to ask us to become donors. It's as easy as getting a swab at the dentist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrcODuZMCUo

again, RIP Shawn, you were a helluva guy!

It's always too soon when someone passes but this is far far too early. Best wishes to his family and those in the Red Wings player/fan orbit who knew him. I'll always try and remember him for scoring a goal with his head, almost soccer-like vs mighty Edmonton in 1988.

Here's one of Shawn crushing Jeremy Roenick if anyone asks why he should get cuts in line to get into Heaven.

Wow, 47 is no kind of age :(

Rest in peace, Shawn, and when you get to where you're going, would you say hi to Brad McCrimmon, Ruslan Salei and Stefan Liv for us?

And now my screen has gone all blurry :(

He was exactly two weeks younger than I am. As far as I know, the closest Wing to my age.

There's no good time or way to die, but having seen too many friends and family die from cancer lately, it's almost a blessing to avoid the suffering that goes with it. I'm not saying that it was good that he died, just that this spared him a lot of pain.

I hope that came out right. It would have been better had he not been sick at all, and was alive and well with us right now.

Condolences to his family and friends, and to the fans who had a special place for him in their hearts.

RIP Shawn, and thanks for the memories.

This is terribly sad.

My brother has an old Dodge Neon that he bought at an auction from the Detroit News. It has a small "11" behind the front tire on both sides. I have always referred to this car as Shawn Burr.

I think this should end the debate about who should wear #11 this season too.... No one.

Mitch Albom on Shawn Burr

He had a boy’s face and a boy’s haircut and he lived every minute, but in life, as in hockey, sometimes you don’t get enough minutes. I learned the news an hour ago, and as I sat down to write, I felt like melted ice.

Stop the laughter. Shawn Burr is gone. He was a light, but that light is out. I know no one lives forever. But this just feels unfair.

Very sad... battling cancer and then dying like this. I started watching the Wings right at the end of Burr's time with them, so I don't have many memories watching him play. Sounds like he was a great guy and a fun team mate.