Photo
- - - - -

Datsyuk wearing "C" during the Olympics?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I found an article that ponders his chances of captaining Team Russia on MLive. 

This article is NOT Brendan Savage's finest moment..

But Datsyuk could very well wear the "C" for the host team in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Other possible candidates include the Atlanta Thrashers' Ilya Kovalchuck, who was the Russian captain in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and Ilya Nikulin, who wore the "C" at this summer's World Championships.

ATL?? Hmmm.. OK. They're not there anymore and it wasn't even his last team.

http://www.mlive.com...ings_pavel.html

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

It'll probably be Ovechkin, since he's the face of the Russian team, especially in the media.  

But Datsyuk would make the most sense, in terms of sportsmanship and experience in winning big games.  

In any case, they have bigger problems to worry about than who the captain is.  Their defense still looks weak on paper.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

George Malik also believes Kovy will have the "C", and he has a pretty well thought reason for it too, his signing with the KHL...

http://kuklaskorner....n-praise-nyquis

Kovalchuk will be the captain this time around, and I do NOT expect Datsyuk to as much as wear a letter because the Russian Hockey Federation's likely to do what it usually does--reward KHLer's with letters on their chests.

I think it will be Ovechkin, though. No Russian was more vocal about the NHL participation in Sochi than he was.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#4 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,833 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

I've always figured Datsyuk isn't nearly as popular in Russia as Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Malkin.  I don't live there anymore, so I don't know how much truth there is to that. I just know Datsyuk is more shy by nature, and it doesn't seem like he enjoys the same superstar status in that country as a result.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

I think it will be one of Malkin, Ovechkin or Kovalchuck the russian board loves having KHL players wearing a letter so this will obviously play a role in it. Datsyuk might be a log for an A but the C will go to one of the former mentioned players.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#6 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

With all the political garbage that goes into building the Russian roster, their captain will absolutely come from the KHL ranks.  That means rewarding Kovalchuk for being a good Russian & turning his back on the NHL so he will end up getting the C on his jersey.  This is the same national team after all that put the C on Aleksey Morozov, who had spent the previous 6 seasons in the RSL/KHL, during the 2010 Olympics over the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, & Datsyuk.  If I had to put money on it, they'll give Kovalchuk the C & A's to Ovechkin & Malkin.

#7 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

With all the political garbage that goes into building the Russian roster, their captain will absolutely come from the KHL ranks.  That means rewarding Kovalchuk for being a good Russian & turning his back on the NHL so he will end up getting the C on his jersey.  This is the same national team after all that put the C on Aleksey Morozov, who had spent the previous 6 seasons in the RSL/KHL, during the 2010 Olympics over the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, & Datsyuk.  If I had to put money on it, they'll give Kovalchuk the C & A's to Ovechkin & Malkin.

Yep.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#8 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

You're probably right, but it would be an interesting idea.  I think he's got the chops for it.

Posted Image

#9 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

No way. Firstly, Pav said it many times he doesn't want it. Secondly, and most important, they'll give it to Kovalchuk due to his heroic defection from NHL.

#10 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

I don't think it was on a national scale, more of a ?bigger? newspaper having an award for being the best Russian in the NHL; Datsyuk just won that but I heard he spoke against the nations new anti-*** laws during the award ceremony. Anyways it could go either way but there is some good candidates for the job.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#11 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

I don't think it was on a national scale, more of a ?bigger? newspaper having an award for being the best Russian in the NHL; Datsyuk just won that but I heard he spoke against the nations new anti-*** laws during the award ceremony. Anyways it could go either way but there is some good candidates for the job.

He didn't speak against them, he insinuated that he was in favor of those laws.  So I doubt his position on homosexuality will bear negatively on his chances to be captain (at least not for the Russian team). 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#12 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

He might have figured that discretion was the better part of valor, so he kinda sorta didn't really say one way or the other...maybe to not get in trouble.

Posted Image

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Datsyuk doesn't need to wear the C he will be one of the leaders for sure and I think even guys like Malkin respect him. but man does their defense look mediocre at best.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..