• This topic is locked This topic is locked
201 replies to this topic

#141 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

Sometimes understanding the plan is really hard, DetroitRedWings need to get younger fine, the rookies impressed last season also fine...offseason iscoming and we sign a 41 old Alfredsson and think about re-signing Dan clearly I don't get.

This roster needs to have a place for Tatar, Nyquist, Kindl and Dekeyser.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#142 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull 

Source: Dan Cleary is not at #Flyers camp. He was slated to be on ice with first group at 8:30 today.

#143 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,062 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

Sometimes understanding the plan is really hard, DetroitRedWings need to get younger fine, the rookies impressed last season also fine...offseason iscoming and we sign a 41 old Alfredsson and think about re-signing Dan clearly I don't get.

This roster needs to have a place for Tatar, Nyquist, Kindl and Dekeyser.

You forgot to mention Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

I think Nyquist is safe. If Helm's not ready to go (and, really, even if he is), Anderson should be safe. (Anderon > Emmerton)

Kindl and DeKeyser should be totally safe; I don't expect Lashoff to bump either one, and even if he does....

The one I'm really worried about? That would be Tatar.

All the guy does is tear the AHL a new you-know-what and look like he belongs in a stint with the big club. If this were any other organization, he'd probably be a top-six NHL star (meaning, of course, a guy who plays in the top six. Not one of the six best in the league. JUST CLARIFICATING OK? OK)

The funny (except not) thing is, I think Tatar's going to be sort of a Cleary-type in that he likes going to those hard areas and causing damage. He even fought a dude in the playoffs. Granted, that's the AHL. But still.

THIS IS MADNESS

NO. THIS. IS. ...WAIT YES IT IS MADNESS

Don't Toews me, bro!

#144 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 

Source: Dan Cleary is not at #Flyers camp. He was slated to be on ice with first group at 8:30 today.

Pulling a no show makes me think he's close to signing a contract, and non-PTO at that, to come back to the Wings.  I'm to the point where I don't care what he does, I just want it over.

#145 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

Pulling a no show makes me think he's close to signing a contract, and non-PTO at that, to come back to the Wings.  I'm to the point where I don't care what he does, I just want it over.

if he does sign here, hopefully it's because we're close to a trade to clear some space.. *fingers crossed* but not expecting much.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#146 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,062 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

if he does sign here, hopefully it's because we're close to a trade to clear some space..

Oooo, I like that!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#147 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

From Elliotte Friedman of CBC:

"Working theory is he simply did not want to leave DET. Expectation is he will re-sign -- probably for less than he would get in PHI"

*sigh*

#NOMOREKINDL

#148 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

From Elliotte Friedman of CBC:

"Working theory is he simply did not want to leave DET. Expectation is he will re-sign -- probably for less than he would get in PHI"

*sigh*

That's speculation.

#149 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

You know what?  I'm happy if Cleary is back with the Wings.  The guy is a heart and soul guy and obviously Babs thinks so too.  Cleary is a key part of that locker room and is a leader.  If you're a Wings fan and it really bothers you that much that Dan Cleary is still a Red WIng, then maybe you should not watch them this season.  I'd rather have a broken down Dan Cleary who comes up big in the playoffs then a guy who has all kinds of talent and is invisible.  The way I see it is Kenny didn't want Cleary back because of all the dead weight on the team right now i.e. Sammy, Bert, Tootoo.  I think Babs told Kenny that he WANTS Cleary on this team.  I believe Cleary is a big reason why the Wings got to the 2nd round în the playoffs.  1 win from going to the West Final.  Was he the only reason?  No.  But clearly, Cleary was one of the best Wings players in the playoffs.  If you do not acknowledge this then you don't know hockey at all.  I don't care if his goals were 'garbage."  A playoff goal is a playoff goal.  Cleary's value in the playoffs is evident.  I don't know why he is this board's whipping boy.  I really don't.  I just shake my head.  I don't care if posters here hate Dan Cleary.  I like the guy and appreciate what he has done for this team.  Obviously Babs does too.  If Cleary re-signs with the Wings then they are a better team for it.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 12 September 2013 - 08:53 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#150 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

He knew once the Flyers saw him at camp he'd be screwed. So, he took the easy option for less. Totally saw this coming.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#151 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Oooo, I like that!

I really hope that was a workaholics reference..my friends and I say that all the time. :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#152 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

I really hope that was a workaholics reference..my friends and I say that all the time. :P

From here on out, this is what I'm going to picture when Cleary is referred to as Bear:

workaholics-bear-coat.jpg

#153 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,062 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I don't think anyone absolutely, unequivocally hates the idea of Daniel Cleary remaining a Red Wing. If he could be had for a really great contract, and if his presence were to not have a negative effect on Tatar's chances, wouldn't we all be ok with that? I think so. Especially if he gets nights off in the regular season.

So, the real concern, I think, lies not with Cleary himself but with the idea of paying him around 2.75 for around three years, and how that would very likely hurt the development of a good young talent or two.

Edited by Dabura, 12 September 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#154 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

if he does sign here, hopefully it's because we're close to a trade to clear some space.. *fingers crossed* but not expecting much.

A sign and trade maybe

I don't think anyone absolutely, unequivocally hates the idea of Daniel Cleary remaining a Red Wing. If he could be had for a really great contract, and if his presence were to not have a negative effect of Tatar's chances, wouldn't we all be ok with that? I think so. Especially if he gets nights off in the regular season.

So, the real concern, I think, lies not with Cleary himself but with the idea of paying him around 2.75 for around three years, and how that would very likely hurt the development of a good young talent or two.

I do

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#155 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

I don't see how Cleary affects Tatar at all.  I see Tatar playng with Andersson and Nyquist.  I see Cleary playing with Helm and Miller.  Or Emmerton and Miller.  I see Sammy and Bert as being the odd guys out.  Eaves and Tootoo as well.

#156 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Wings' Holland said he met with Cleary yest, and will continue to talk today. Cleary badly wants to be a Wing, but roster space still issue

Holland said putting someone on IR and signing Cleary not an option. They'd have to trade or waive someone. They have 16 forwards now.

All indications are that Dan Cleary is going to join the Detroit Red Wings at Training Camp. #TSN

I'm so confused.

I don't see how Cleary affects Tatar at all.  I see Tatar playng with Andersson and Nyquist.  I see Cleary playing with Helm and Miller.  Or Emmerton and Miller.  I see Sammy and Bert as being the odd guys out.  Eaves and Tootoo as well.

But Sammy and Bert are signed with NTC's and 35+ contracts.  

He'd have to get rid of someone more like Tootoo and Eaves.  And he'd likely lose them and get nothing in return. 

#157 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

I knew it was too good to be true.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#158 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Kenny may have to pay Sammy and Bert and have them on the 23 man roster.  But he doesn't have to play them.  They can both sit in the press box.  Eaves and Tootoo and Emmerton will have to be moved to make room for Cleary.  If Helm can't play then Emmerton stays.  I'd rather have Miller as the 4th line centre and dump Emmerton. But it looks like Emmerton is insurance for Helm.  Eaves will be easier to deal than Tootoo.  His 1.9 mil a year salary kills his trade value.  Plus he still has 2 years left on his deal.  Eaves has 1 year left.  Emmerton could be waived and some team MAY claim him.

#159 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Important to note,Dan Cleary and the Detroit Red Wings do NOT have a deal done at this point. #TSN

I wouldn't mind Cleary coming back to play in the bottom 6 if the Wings weren't already neck deep in forwards, a lot of them being younger guys who could use the playing time.  Holland really screwed himself by handing out NTC's like candy, and now I don't know what he's got planned if he's still trying to fit in Cleary. 

#160 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,062 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I don't see how Cleary affects Tatar at all.

Possibly less ice for Tatar? Possibly Tatar gets bumped down the depth chart? Not to be a jerk, but it's not a difficult concept.

I think, realistically, it probably wouldn't have a huge impact on Tatar. But to say there'd be no impact at all? At the end of the day, a roster spot is a roster spot. I don't think theoretical lines are quite as important here as one might think (i.e. us thinking, "Well, Tatar's gonna be on the third line, so what's the deal?" doesn't really mean anything). And honestly, I'll be surprised if Tatar doesn't spend a good deal of time on the fourth line, given, well, history.

Ulltimately, I'm not outright opposed to Cleary coming back. But it has to make sense.

Edited by Dabura, 12 September 2013 - 09:05 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!