• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

World Juniors Tourney Thread

Rate this topic

I didn't see a thread for this years tournament, so I thought I'd make one for all WJ talk.

So far Canada beat Germany 6-2. Mantha had the Hattie and Patterson got the win in goal.

Right now USA is up 2-0 on Czech Republic. I am intrigued by Hudson Fasching, whom I hoped the Wings would have snagged up, but they didn't take him. Instead opted for Pope. Also Steve Santini who the Wingd missed out on.

Always routing for USA, but will be fun watching all our prospects and future NHL stars!

I know it only makes sense to not get too excited about Mantha. But, really, could he more promising as a 19-year-old? Like, I get the knocks on his D and compete. It's all valid, all true. (Though I don't think he should've been considered a "bubble boy" candidate for this Juniors team.) But, at the same time, he's a 19-year-old goal-scoring machine, with a massive frame he's probably not even close to fully understanding. D and compete can be taught, instilled. Natural scoring ability and size, not so much.

Edited by Dabura

I will admit the compete part of Mantha's game scares me, but he can score. I guess I feel similar in that if he has a couple years with the Wings he will have that level instilled in him. I really want him to be a key on this team for years, so I hope he gets a lot of time just talking to Hank and Pav before they are gone.

i think you'll find he got invited to the prospect camp , the kid the wings ought to draft next on D is the Russian

Nikita Tryamkin.

For the record, my question was actually an honest one; I didn't know if he'd been drafted (by us). I just Googled him and found that page and didn't really know what to make of it.

I will admit the compete part of Mantha's game scares me, but he can score. I guess I feel similar in that if he has a couple years with the Wings he will have that level instilled in him. I really want him to be a key on this team for years, so I hope he gets a lot of time just talking to Hank and Pav before they are gone.

He really does need a better level of competition. Right now he doesn't need to give it his all in order to dominate, just play a little smarter and away he goes.

On Mantha.

Yes, his defensive skills are subpar, but put him on a line with two if the glut of our forwards whose main asset is defensive responsibility and a shutdown line becomes a defensively responsible one, with a scoring threat.

Pair him with andersson and Abby while he learns the defensive game.

Or sheahan and have a the grit/size/scoring ability.

I know a lot of you are saying they need to dominate lower leagues to build the confidence.

But baptism by fire may correct his compete level issues.

And i think were shying away from our over-ripened youth policy since our kids are playing so well.(see:Thomas jurco)