• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Vets over the Kids?, not any more eh Babs.

Rate this topic

Comparing an injured player in his prime to an old player past his prime is comparing apples to oranges. There is no double standard.

You have a standard for apples and you have a standard for oranges.... except apples and oranges are actually both players on the Detroit Red Wings. There is a double standard. Weiss gets a pass for sucking and Sammy/Cleary/Bert don't.

barabbas, what's the issue? Weiss was hurt from the get-go, essentially. The other three have been mostly healthy. That distinction alone warrants different standards. I mean, sure, Weiss has been a disappointment. And, sure, it's true that he hasn't really done anything to distinguish himself from the other three. But we can be pretty sure that that's because he was playing through an injury. So, Weiss gets an asterisk, whereas the others are simply too old. Granted, it's not their fault that they're old.

Going back to how this thread started...

I do think we would have been better served starting the season playing the younger guys more and scratching the vets, but I don't know by how much. With the GR guys, maybe the start in the AHL helped them get their mojo and their confidence going and now they're reading for the big time. Tatar, on the other hand should have started from the jump and I would have waived Sammy from day 1. But, then again, maybe Tatar is playing angry.

Without being able to go back in time and prevent some of the injuries we have had (Z, Pav, Mule, DD, Helm, Alfe, Howie all have missed plenty of games) I don't know how many more wins we would have.

Maybe the Vets got the benefit of the doubt for longer than they deserved, but what's done is and done. At the very least we can be happy that they're making a better effort to keep the best players on the ice. I mean how many people would have thought, or even requested, that Jurco be playing over Cleary. Nyquist sure, but Jurco? AWESOME!

How many people thought Riley would be this badass? Now its like he can't we sent down.

Anyways, we need wins. And if we can keep winning then I believe we are going to keep as many of the GR guys up as possible.

Going back to how this thread started...

I do think we would have been better served starting the season playing the younger guys more and scratching the vets, but I don't know by how much. With the GR guys, maybe the start in the AHL helped them get their mojo and their confidence going and now they're reading for the big time. Tatar, on the other hand should have started from the jump and I would have waived Sammy from day 1. But, then again, maybe Tatar is playing angry.

Without being able to go back in time and prevent some of the injuries we have had (Z, Pav, Mule, DD, Helm, Alfe, Howie all have missed plenty of games) I don't know how many more wins we would have.

Maybe the Vets got the benefit of the doubt for longer than they deserved, but what's done is and done. At the very least we can be happy that they're making a better effort to keep the best players on the ice. I mean how many people would have thought, or even requested, that Jurco be playing over Cleary. Nyquist sure, but Jurco? AWESOME!

How many people thought Riley would be this badass? Now its like he can't we sent down.

Anyways, we need wins. And if we can keep winning then I believe we are going to keep as many of the GR guys up as possible.

The team is actually exciting to watch now. I used to just know what was going to happen out there with Bert and Cleary making the same halfhearted plays in the offensive zone and no creativity whatsoever. Now we play with speed and things happen out there if you look away for a quick second. Obviously or D is hurting but that happens when you have young guys playing all over the place - but at least they have the legs left to back check regularly and will learn with time.

Sheahan has got to be my favourite young gun along with Nyquist. I was so down on Riley after the DUI last year that I didn't think he deserved to pull on a Wings sweater - but god has he changed my mind to the point where I am the biggest Sheahan fanboy out there.

You have a standard for apples and you have a standard for oranges.... except apples and oranges are actually both players on the Detroit Red Wings. There is a double standard. Weiss gets a pass for sucking and Sammy/Cleary/Bert don't.

Except you're ignoring all the facts about age and injuries while covering your ears with your hands and shouting "NOT LISTENING!"

It's so funny that Holland believed Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Alfredsson and Kronwall wasn't enough veteran presence for this team

Yeah I didn't really get this mindset either. There is more than enough Vet presence on the ice and in the locker room. Absolutely no need to resign a broken down Cleary for those roles. Lets just thank the Universe Cleary turned down that rumored initial offer of 3 YEARS and who cares whatever dollar amount it was!

The kids have proven what a dangerous team this can be with them on it and it shouldn't have taken half the season and a TON of injuries to ice the best possible line-up.

barabbas, what's the issue? Weiss was hurt from the get-go, essentially. The other three have been mostly healthy. That distinction alone warrants different standards. I mean, sure, Weiss has been a disappointment. And, sure, it's true that he hasn't really done anything to distinguish himself from the other three. But we can be pretty sure that that's because he was playing through an injury. So, Weiss gets an asterisk, whereas the others are simply too old. Granted, it's not their fault that they're old.

Dabura, there is no issue. I just don't see it the same way. And, I was trying to spark a friendly debate on the subject so I could understand the opposite point of view. I think I've got it now, but I still disagree.

Thanks.