• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

What's the point of making the playoffs. ? This team would be get absolutely grilled against Boston or Pittsburgh also now they need to look for a top center prospect in the upcoming. Draft.

We could have said that at this point last year and we came within one OT goal of winning the cup.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#62 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

We could have said that at this point last year and we came within one OT goal of winning the cup.

We made the finals last year?

#63 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

From the "I just had to look" Department: In the last Olympics season, Detroit had a record of 28W-21L-4OTL-8SOL with sixty-one games played, which is exactly the same record, with the same number of games played this season. That season's goal-differential was minus-five; this season's stood at minus-seven. Out of the forty-two points available in the final twenty-one games in 2009-10, they had thirty-four, aided by a seven-game winning streak.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#64 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

We made the finals last year?

If we beat Chicago we would have won the won. At the very least more than likely would have.

#65 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Can we get 21 points? That would be playing .500. If all of our young players are truely good players, should be no problem right? After all we have played the whole season without Z and/or Datsyuk, so there should be no excuse. These guys are just to good to be put into a package deal for a proven STAR.

21 points should be easy enough, but probably wouldn't get us in the playoffs. Probably need 26 - 28. Doable, even missing Pav for half our remaining games, but tough.

Btw, we've only been missing Datsyuk or Zetterberg for about 60% of the year, and I think only 2 games missing both at the same time.

And I don't think anyone was opposed to moving someone for a proven star, just not 2-3 guys currently contributing on the roster, plus other prospects/picks. Vanek, seeing what he actually went for, would have been nice, but we had a bigger need for a center. No other good centers got moved, certainly not one that could be considered a star.

#66 Wombat

Wombat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

It's a great point... who cares about trying to get to a 3-decade playoff streak when 53% of teams make the playoffs!  It's not impressive at all!  By random chance a team will make 30 consecutive playoffs 1 out of 186,949,330 chances, so of course that's not impressive!  Phooey to that.

It's CLEARLY much more important to try to tank to the 10th overall pick rather than sneak into the playoffs and get the 15th overall pick.  I mean, we as Red Wings fans know for a FACT that it's impossible to get franchise altering players without having the absolute highest picks possible!  Who would want 2008 15th overall Erik Karlsson over 10th overall Cody Hodgson?  

Turning off the sarcasm, yes, it is slightly easier to get a better player with a higher draft pick.  But is it worth tossing away a chance to be in the playoffs and a chance to chase a record that may be insurmountable in the future?  I want this team to try to make the playoffs.  If they fall short, it happens and we try to pick up some talent in the off season.  If the team loses in the first round, at least we were in it.  And if they make a nice run, that's fun too!

#67 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

come again?

If we beat Chicago we would have won the won. At the very least more than likely would have.

That is a considerable stretch to put it mildly.

In 2009 in looked like the Wings had the Cup pretty well in hand and we all know how that ended. 

#68 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

It's a great point... who cares about trying to get to a 3-decade playoff streak when 53% of teams make the playoffs!  It's not impressive at all!  By random chance a team will make 30 consecutive playoffs 1 out of 186,949,330 chances, so of course that's not impressive!  Phooey to that.

It's CLEARLY much more important to try to tank to the 10th overall pick rather than sneak into the playoffs and get the 15th overall pick.  I mean, we as Red Wings fans know for a FACT that it's impossible to get franchise altering players without having the absolute highest picks possible!  Who would want 2008 15th overall Erik Karlsson over 10th overall Cody Hodgson?  

!

AND all this talk about tanking makes me wonder how many on LGW have actually played sports. Is Holland supposed to tell some of the world's most competitive athletes and coaches, ( Babcock, Alfredsson, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Bertuzzi , Tatar, Nyquist, Howard etc) that he is going to rob them of their chance to reach their life's goal, their entire reason for existence up to this point in their lives, the chance to make the playoffs , their chance to be the under dog and do what everyone told them they could not do, against all odds win the Stanley Cup, that everything it means to be a Red Wing will end on their watch? (Grandpa, tell me what it was like being on the team that tanked and ended one of the most Golden eras in all of hockey).

Holland: "Alfie, thanks for your sacrifices but I'm shutting 'er down so we can move up and gamble on a higher pick that we may see in 5-6 yrs if it works out or not. Thanks for pissing away everything you've worked for including your old friends and teammates and uprooting your family for nothing. "

"Andy, Tomas, Gus, Riley, Glenny, Danny, I've decided to set you up for failure this year. So, I do not want you to build on your Calder Cup experience. I want you to get away from making the conscious decision every morning when you wake up to be great. I want you to move away from greatness, be a little less than the guy across from you on each and every shift. It may be humiliating at times, it may destroy character deep inside you, you may feel like you are not playing for your teammates, but trust me, years from now, we might be better."

Not sure how you guys think this is supposed to work in real life.

Edited by T.Low, 06 March 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#69 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I just don't see how people think if we make the playoffs we get killed 4 straight if healthy. If this forward corps is healthy I put it up against every single team in the league. I know the d isn't great, but it's still the same d that beat a very good Anaheim team, and took the cup champs to overtime in the 7th game.

If D and Z get back I believe they are gonna be as motivated as ever to play in the playoffs. Alfy is gonna want a cup so bad. Helm will be ecstatic to be back playing playoff hockey. Weiss is gonna be highly motivated to prove everybody wrong an that he was a good signing. Legwand is gonna be motivate to be back home and playing on a playoff team. Dekeyser is gonna be motivated after going out of the playoffs early last year.

Maybe the most important of all is gonna be the kid line. They will be so excited and bring so much energy that it will be tough for other teams to handle them. I know this all basis off them being healthy but that still could happen this year.

All I'm saying is that if this team is healthy and motivate they an beat everyone. I would be pretty scared seeing an insanely deep forward group that the wings will boat if they are healthy. Think about a top 12 of d,z,mule,Gus,Weiss,alfy,helm, Legwand, Abby, Tatar, jurco, sheahan.

I would not feel good stacking up against that group of forwards no matter who I am. I just want this team to get in and be healthy, because i honestly feel they could do some serious damage. Also I feel they deserve to make the playoffs after all the insane injuries they've went through this season. I've never seen anything like this year. I'm very proud of what this team has done with such a short lineup night in and night out.

#70 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I just don't see how people think if we make the playoffs we get killed 4 straight if healthy. If this forward corps is healthy I put it up against every single team in the league. I know the d isn't great, but it's still the same d that beat a very good Anaheim team, and took the cup champs to overtime in the 7th game.

If D and Z get back I believe they are gonna be as motivated as ever to play in the playoffs. Alfy is gonna want a cup so bad. Helm will be ecstatic to be back playing playoff hockey. Weiss is gonna be highly motivated to prove everybody wrong an that he was a good signing. Legwand is gonna be motivate to be back home and playing on a playoff team. Dekeyser is gonna be motivated after going out of the playoffs early last year.

Maybe the most important of all is gonna be the kid line. They will be so excited and bring so much energy that it will be tough for other teams to handle them. I know this all basis off them being healthy but that still could happen this year.

All I'm saying is that if this team is healthy and motivate they an beat everyone. I would be pretty scared seeing an insanely deep forward group that the wings will boat if they are healthy. Think about a top 12 of d,z,mule,Gus,Weiss,alfy,helm, Legwand, Abby, Tatar, jurco, sheahan.

I would not feel good stacking up against that group of forwards no matter who I am. I just want this team to get in and be healthy, because i honestly feel they could do some serious damage. Also I feel they deserve to make the playoffs after all the insane injuries they've went through this season. I've never seen anything like this year. I'm very proud of what this team has done with such a short lineup night in and night out.

A few problems:

#1 Players never come off injuries 100% healthy, even the most optimistic dates put Z's return at around the time the first round would start. So that puts him out of the game for 2 months, not at 100%, and against the best competition in the conference (as the Wings will most likely play the 1st or 2nd seed).

#2 While the forward core on paper is good, this isn't a game played on paper. Other than Z and D there are no consistent offensive threats on this team. Nyquist and Tatar are both young, and are hot and cold. And Franzen is Captain Streak, he has a good week and he has a week where you don't notice him. 

#3 An NHL team isn't just a forward core anyway. The goaltending and the defense this season has been anyway from mediocre to terrible, depending on the night. The Wings won't beat Boston or Pittsburgh by trying to match them goal for goal, the way you beat teams like these is by having stellar goaltending and great defense, neither of which Detroit has.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#71 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

keep-calm-and-dont-stop-believing-21.png

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#72 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

keep-calm-and-dont-stop-believing-21.png

I see your poster and I raise you:

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38_zps5ed85d9

Im Wasser verbrannt

#73 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

I see your poster and I raise you:

Oh look the same one you've posted in every single thread. We get it....You don't approve of his decisions...

No need to take it upon your self to convert all the non-believers.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#74 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Oh look the same one you've posted in every single thread. We get it....You don't approve of his decisions...

No need to take it upon your self to convert all the non-believers.

Convert? One only needs to look at the evidence.

4-5 seasons ago the if you said on this board that success was fighting tooth and nail for the 8th seed in the playoffs you'd be drawn and quartered. 

A few short years later people have now redefined success to mean barely make it into the playoffs. I'm sorry that I have higher standards than mediocrity, and want to see a real plan for long term competitiveness. If you're satisfied with being a team that makes the playoffs, but never really gets anywhere, great, keep telling yourself Holland is great. If not, maybe it's time you look at the track record and realize that this man has no plan for this team. 

Im Wasser verbrannt

#75 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Convert? One only needs to look at the evidence.

4-5 seasons ago the if you said on this board that success was fighting tooth and nail for the 8th seed in the playoffs you'd be drawn and quartered. 

A few short years later people have now redefined success to mean barely make it into the playoffs. I'm sorry that I have higher standards than mediocrity, and want to see a real plan for long term competitiveness. If you're satisfied with being a team that makes the playoffs, but never really gets anywhere, great, keep telling yourself Holland is great. If not, maybe it's time you look at the track record and realize that this man has no plan for this team. 

Super. I'm not wasting my time with you.  Everyone knows your opinion by now.  Let it go.

Vince Lombardi

#76 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

Super. I'm not wasting my time with you.  Everyone knows your opinion by now.  Let it go.

And everyone knows yours, naive and myopic though it is.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#77 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

And everyone knows yours, naive and myopic though it is.

Feel free to share and please quote...

Vince Lombardi

#78 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

4-5 years ago I thought there was a pretty decent chance that we would completely suck by now...that's the usual cycle.  You contend for a time and win a cup if you're lucky and eventually you have to rebuild and scrape along the bottom.  We aren't in that position because we've been able to ride our superstars and add spare parts here and there and now we're adding kids with top 6 talent and there's more in the pipeline.   Make the playoffs and you have a chance.  We had the champs on the ropes last year.  Win that series and all that stood between us and a shot at the cup....again...was the Kings.   There's no discernible gap between us and the Kings.

To put it another way...I'll take Ken Holland and the playoffs over Joe Dumars and his perpetual trips into the NBA lottery.

#79 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

That is a considerable stretch to put it mildly.

In 2009 in looked like the Wings had the Cup pretty well in hand and we all know how that ended.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. The Blackhawks cruised to the cup after beating us. Obviously anything can happen, but the best team Chicago beat was us.

If only Filppula didn't get injured.....

Edited by Z and D for the C, 06 March 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#80 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

Game #21:  We pick up a point and are tied with Columbus with 69 pts.

Around us:  #lumbus loses. Washington loses.  Tampa loses.  

Game #20 to 23 :  Tomorrow night vs. NJD.  A win sure would be swell.

Edited by e_prime, 06 March 2014 - 11:17 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.