• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Mike Babcock Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

Nope, we'll lose a game sometime and it'll be time to fire him and move on because the message is 'getting old' yada yada......

In all seriousness, it's pretty impressive, especially considering the teams that Scotty got to coach, compared to some of the teams Babs has had, congrats to him!

Compare the teams that Scotty had to the teams that Babs had and this is mighty impressive.

Babs also did it in less time with less games played (lockout).

Sure he makes some questionable decisions at times, but seeing as how he's been so dominant I'm willing to (mostly) overlook them.

We've got a great coach who I'd like to see stay as long as he wants and be able to walk away on his own terms. The guys deserves that much at the very least.

Edit: you beat me to it

Edited by roboturner

Compare the teams that Scotty had to the teams that Babs had and this is mighty impressive.

Babs also did it in less time with less games played (lockout).

Sure he makes some questionable decisions at times, but seeing as how he's been so dominant I'm willing to (mostly) overlook them.

We've got a great coach who I'd like to see stay as long as he wants and be able to walk away on his own terms. The guys deserves that much at the very least.

Edit: you beat me to it

Not to take anything away from Babcock who has been a fantastic coach but I don't think his win total is more impressive than Bowmans.

He definitely did it with less talent than Scotty, and in 5 fewer games (same amount of time though 9 years) but he had the advantage of the shootout.

Bowman's NHL had ties to contend with for all his tenure as Wings coach. Using his win % over his time here he'd have another 52 wins with shootouts.

Either way though I think Babcock passes even that number next season or the one after that and I wouldn't be opposed to extending him for another couple years. Something I didn't think I'd be saying last season.

Edited by FlashyG

He rolls out horrible lines and makes all kinds of nonsensical "gut" line-juggling decisions, but he has a great relationship with the players, if not the best, and knows how to instill confidence and pride in his team. Which makes him the most irritating, and probably one of the best coaches, in the league today.

Not to take anything away from Babcock who has been a fantastic coach but I don't think his win total is more impressive than Bowmans.

He definitely did it with less talent than Scotty, and in 5 fewer games (same amount of time though 9 years) but he had the advantage of the shootout.

Bowman's NHL had ties to contend with for all his tenure as Wings coach. Using his win % over his time here he'd have another 52 wins with shootouts.

Either way though I think Babcock passes even that number next season or the one after that and I wouldn't be opposed to extending him for another couple years. Something I didn't think I'd be saying last season.

That's true I didn't think of that. Probably would have won more shootouts than that with the lineups (and goalies :bye1: ) he had. Thanks for correcting me! ;)

Let me get this straight, the guy just passed Jack Adams for most all time wins (with the wings), and yet he's never won the Jack Adams Trophy for Best Head Coach?? hmmm...

Bowman had to win 62 games in a season to get one.

I absolutely hate how that award is given out. Its basically the coach of the most improved team award.

He rolls out horrible lines and makes all kinds of nonsensical "gut" line-juggling decisions, but he has a great relationship with the players, if not the best, and knows how to instill confidence and pride in his team. Which makes him the most irritating, and probably one of the best coaches, in the league today.

He's had at least some players who didn't get along with him. Filppula apparently didn't get along with him at all, which is why he didn't entertain the idea of coming back this year. Commodore believes Babcock tried to end his hockey career and hates him with a passion and there were even rumors a while ago that Zetterberg didn't get along with him.

Then again there's a saying about coaches like Babcock and Bowman. 364 days a year you hate his guts but on the 365th day you get your ring.