OMG THAT'S TERRIBLE IT NEEDS MORE YOUTH OR WE'RE SCREWED

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,854 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Would actually be a good signing for the right price.

This powerplay is terrible and needs some help back there.  Veteran leadership would also help.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

On a one or two year deal, he's perfect. Provides leadership, improves the PP, not taking a spot from the kids because he'd be replacing Quincey as DeKeysers partner. If we add Boyle and one of Marchenko/Sproul/Ouellet, our defence looks a whole lot better then it did in the playoffs. Plus no more Kindl or Lashoff.

#NOMOREKINDL

#25 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

They are also making Burns a D-men again. I think Thornton might be dealt.

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.  If there's one thing he's proven, even back when he was in Boston, is that he doesn't have what it takes to take his team to the next level.  Thornton and the Sharks are synonymous with each other and I would think SJ would want to break that.

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.  If there's one thing he's proven, even back when he was in Boston, is that he doesn't have what it takes to take his team to the next level.  Thornton and the Sharks are synonymous with each other and I would think SJ would want to break that.

In fairness, Yzerman couldn't lead us to the Cup and we were gonna trade him to Ottawa for Yashin. Not a perfect parallel, but yeah.

I think Thornton is a great 1C, but maybe not a great C, if you know what I mean. Thing is, who's the better leader on the team? To me, that feels like the big issue with them. Thornton doesn't have to be traded, but he probably shouldn't be captain, but there's no one better for the role, but there has to be somene better for the role, but there isn't really, so, f***.

I dunno, maybe since they're losing a veteran leader in Boyle they should look into acquiring some fresh veteran leader blood. Or they could trade for James Neal or Chris Kunitz. That would be so them.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Kronwall  Smith

DeKeyser  Boyle

Ericsson  Sproul

OMG THAT'S TERRIBLE IT NEEDS MORE YOUTH OR WE'RE SCREWED

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but this is my ideal defense corps for next season. Great balance there - saves the headache of seeing a forward play the right point on the PP (though, I think given the depth at forward, we'll still see one on the 2nd unit, left side) and gives the guys roles. Kronwall, Boyle and Sproul would be PP for certain, maybe some looks for Smith. PK would be Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser and Smith.

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

We all know this has ken holland written all over it. Don't forget we gave Bert a 2 year extension at 37. Also the same guy who brought back Sammy at 35 for two years, went after Alfie and Modano and made a hard push for Jagr.

A 5 year deal wouldn't be surprising.

Yup - you're right...And if this is another poor signing - it is then Ken Holland is relieved of his duties.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but this is my ideal defense corps for next season. Great balance there - saves the headache of seeing a forward play the right point on the PP (though, I think given the depth at forward, we'll still see one on the 2nd unit, left side) and gives the guys roles. Kronwall, Boyle and Sproul would be PP for certain, maybe some looks for Smith. PK would be Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser and Smith.

I'd probably prefer Niskanen, but I'd gladly take two years of Dan Boyle.

The bottom line is we're missing Lidstrom and Rafalski like no one's business. They weren't young or big or physical or fleet of foot. They were just really good with the puck, really smart without it. We need that on the back end or nothing works. What we saw this season is nothing working. We need to possess the puck and do good things with it and make savvy reads and make the opposition run around and chase the play. We didn't do that, because we lacked experience and elite talent.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'd probably prefer Niskanen, but I'd gladly take two years of Dan Boyle.

The bottom line is we're missing Lidstrom and Rafalski like no one's business. They weren't young or big or physical or fleet of foot. They were just really good with the puck, really smart without it. We need that on the back end or nothing works. What we saw this season is nothing working. We need to possess the puck and do good things with it and make savvy reads and make the opposition run around and chase the play. We didn't do that, because we lacked experience and elite talent.

Boyle doesn't fill that need if he did the Sharks wouldn't have let him go simple as that.

Also we need to stop dreaming about another one being able to do what Lidstrom did, it won't happen :( Niskanen will be the best bet in terms of PP QB abilities  and even then I'm not expecting flawless Lidström like play from him either ..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#31 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Boyle doesn't fill that need if he did the Sharks wouldn't have let him go simple as that.

Also we need to stop dreaming about another one being able to do what Lidstrom did, it won't happen :( Niskanen will be the best bet in terms of PP QB abilities  and even then I'm not expecting flawless Lidström like play from him either ..

I agree. Boyle really can't be called "elite" anymore.

That being said, I feel like I would rather see the Red Wings grab Dan Boyle or Marek Zidlicky for a year or two, instead of coughing up what Niskanens camp is likely looking for on a long term deal. I'm not sold on Niskanen for the $5.5mil he is likely to get on the open market. This was his "break out" season after being average for a few seasons. I can already envision the coal dragging he'll get here if he regresses to his pre-13/14 form (see Quincey, Weiss, etc.). If that happens, the Wings are stuck with an expensive hard to move dman, which will create a logjam for when Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko/etc. are ready to be regulars. Grab Boyle or Zidlicky for a year at around $4mil. If they don't work out, you let whoever it is walk as a UFA the next summer and either promote from within or get another short term UFA.

#32 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:46 PM

I dont know much about him but I've heard that he may be done...

Its possible that his play has dipped alot so holland will probably get him signed for a decade or so

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#33 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

I dont know much about him but I've heard that he may be done...

Its possible that his play has dipped alot so holland will probably get him signed for a decade or so

Holland doesn't sign guys like that for more than 2 years at most. Every team signs these types of players. Go to any fan forum and all the fans do is ***** about how they signed this vet or that vet that's washed up. You need vets to be successful, you can't win with just youth. Look at Edmonton

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

Straw man. I never said Dan Boyle is Nick Lidstrom.

I want at least two puck-moving, offense-driving, point-producing, PP-quarterbacking, possession-savvy vets in our top four. Boyle, while not the player he used to be, and certainly never the player Lidstrom was, possesses these qualities and would therefore be a big addition to our team. I wouldn't want him for more than two seasons, though.

Ultimately, he probably signs with the Rags. Richards and St. Louis are there, and if they could turn Stralman into Boyle? That's a ludicrous top four they'd have there.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

Holland doesn't sign guys like that for more than 2 years at most. Every team signs these types of players. Go to any fan forum and all the fans do is ***** about how they signed this vet or that vet that's washed up. You need vets to be successful, you can't win with just youth. Look at Edmonton

I dont understand what your trying to say

Holland doesnt have a reputation for signing guys on the decline to bad contracts? Boyle would be OK as a wing, but not for any cap hit or term hed get here. 

As per youth, yes i know that. Just because I don't want Boyle here doesn't mean i dont think that we need vets on the team. We really need one on defence right now but I don't think it should come from Boyle who managed to be -8 on a pretty stacked sharks team

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#36 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

I dont understand what your trying to say

Holland doesnt have a reputation for signing guys on the decline to bad contracts? Boyle would be OK as a wing, but not for any cap hit or term hed get here. 

As per youth, yes i know that. Just because I don't want Boyle here doesn't mean i dont think that we need vets on the team. We really need one on defence right now but I don't think it should come from Boyle who managed to be -8 on a pretty stacked sharks team

Yes Holland like every gm signs some bad contracts and throws around ntc's like they're going out of style. However we do need some of those vets

#37 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

I agree. Boyle really can't be called "elite" anymore.

That being said, I feel like I would rather see the Red Wings grab Dan Boyle or Marek Zidlicky for a year or two, instead of coughing up what Niskanens camp is likely looking for on a long term deal. I'm not sold on Niskanen for the $5.5mil he is likely to get on the open market. This was his "break out" season after being average for a few seasons. I can already envision the coal dragging he'll get here if he regresses to his pre-13/14 form (see Quincey, Weiss, etc.). If that happens, the Wings are stuck with an expensive hard to move dman, which will create a logjam for when Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko/etc. are ready to be regulars. Grab Boyle or Zidlicky for a year at around $4mil. If they don't work out, you let whoever it is walk as a UFA the next summer and either promote from within or get another short term UFA.

This is pretty much my exact line of thinking. Kronwall and Ericsson are here for a while longer (5 and 6 years, respectively) and I don't see the team moving DeKeyser anytime soon, Smith if he continues to get better. You throw in Niskanen and you're essentially saying you're going to move one of those four regulars, and I would assume that Kronwall, E and DeKeyser are all looked upon more favorably by management (and most of us).

I'm ok with moving Smith in a package deal for a legitimate right-handed, top 4 guy... but I don't think moving him in some other manner to make room for Niskanen and the kids makes sense. The big four defensive prospects are knocking on the door, and it's going to be tough to make room for them as is... adding Niskanen for the term he's going to get would only complicate that further.

Edited by Jesusberg, 17 May 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#38 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Would actually be a good signing for the right price.

This powerplay is terrible and needs some help back there.  Veteran leadership would also help.  

Does our pp stink because of our Dmen, or lack of consistent production from our forwards?

Personally I feel we have enough veteran leadership on this team as is; Hank/Dats/Kronner have been with this team for years.

I'd rather see a few of the GR kids get some ice time in the D.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#39 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Does our pp stink because of our Dmen, or lack of consistent production from our forwards?

Personally I feel we have enough veteran leadership on this team as is; Hank/Dats/Kronner have been with this team for years.

I'd rather see a few of the GR kids get some ice time in the D.

Ya that's our problem. We didn't have enough young guys playing.

#40 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'd love to have Boyle.  Under-valued for his current expectation because of his recent struggles, but a champion is inside.