Dan Boyle not coming back to the Sharks

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 alabarrie

alabarrie

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Maybe the right handed veteran D we need to bridge the gap for our young guys to come up in another year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_25771574/san-jose-sharks-cut-ties-dan-boyle 

#2 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:08 AM

I'm ok with trying Boyle but only as one year deal and I'm not paying him big money. If he wants money or years let him go somewhere else. I'd rather go after Niskanen and/or Zidlicky

Posted Image

#3 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Better place to discuss this would be here http://www.letsgowin...ree-agent-talk/

and no I don't want him, he was a complete no factor for the Sharks when they needed him the most some years ago ? For sure right now no.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#4 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm ok with trying Boyle but only as one year deal and I'm not paying him big money. If he wants money or years let him go somewhere else. I'd rather go after Niskanen and/or Zidlicky

Niskanen would be good but much rather grab Boyle than Zidlicky

#5 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Boyle is great, veteran leadership for our young defensive core, familiar with Babcock's system (2010 Olympics, McLellan) and will be gone by the time they mature (Ouellet and Sproul)

Not many enticing names this summer for a long term deal anyway, wouldn't risk it with Niskanen

Would pay him 5-6  on a one year deal, 4.5 on a 2

#6 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Boyle is great, veteran leadership for our young defensive core, familiar with Babcock's system (2010 Olympics, McLellan) and will be gone by the time they mature (Ouellet and Sproul)

Not many enticing names this summer for a long term deal anyway, wouldn't risk it with Niskanen

Would pay him 5-6  on a one year deal, 4.5 on a 2

You think there's MORE risk signing a young guy just entering his prime and playing very well rather than an aging one dimensional veteran who's clearly declining?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#7 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

You think there's MORE risk signing a young guy just entering his prime and playing very well rather than an aging one dimensional veteran who's clearly declining?

He's had one good year and chances are he's looking at nothing short of 7 years @ 5.5 to 6

#8 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

They are also making Burns a D-men again. I think Thornton might be dealt.

#9 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

He's had one good year and chances are he's looking at nothing short of 7 years @ 5.5 to 6

Where'd you come up with number?  Did you just make it up or did someone with credibility say so?  Because if so, could link me to where you saw it?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#10 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

He's pulling stuff out of his ass, Boyle is 37 yrs old which means that his guess of what he would be looking for would give him a contract to 44. Absolutely 0 chance he gets that and also 0 chance he see's 5.5 to 6 from anyone else either.

Boyle if he could be gotten on the cheap would be a good signing I think.

#11 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

He's pulling stuff out of his ass, Boyle is 37 yrs old which means that his guess of what he would be looking for would give him a contract to 44. Absolutely 0 chance he gets that and also 0 chance he see's 5.5 to 6 from anyone else either.

Boyle if he could be gotten on the cheap would be a good signing I think.

I think he was talking about Niskanen when he mentioned that numbers.  But I'm still not sure where they're coming from. 

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

I think he was talking about Niskanen when he mentioned that numbers.  But I'm still not sure where they're coming from. 

It's probably just a guess. And if I were to take a stab at it myself I would guess that he's right in the ballpark. Maybe he'll take a two year deal and try to get more money after. Who knows.

#13 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

My bad, thought he was referring to the person the thread was about.

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

I dunno.....Sumthin about signing older players who are beyond their prime sorta gives me the willies.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Where'd you come up with number?  Did you just make it up or did someone with credibility say so?  Because if so, could link me to where you saw it?

Of course I was talking about Niskanen

Numbers are an estimate coming from comparing him to guys like Seabrook, Enstrom, Girardi who were similar age when signing their contracts, not sure why you find them so absurd, everything's speculation and estimates at this point

#16 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

We all know this has ken holland written all over it. Don't forget we gave Bert a 2 year extension at 37. Also the same guy who brought back Sammy at 35 for two years, went after Alfie and Modano and made a hard push for Jagr.

A 5 year deal wouldn't be surprising.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#17 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:23 AM

We all know this has ken holland written all over it. Don't forget we gave Bert a 2 year extension at 37. Also the same guy who brought back Sammy at 35 for two years, went after Alfie and Modano and made a hard push for Jagr.

A 5 year deal wouldn't be surprising.

Jagr was quite impressive this year, I would have liked that. The only bad signing at the time of the signing would be Sammy.

#18 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

I have a feeling Boyle will be in the Winged Wheel next season. Not only is he a right handed shot, but he'd be another veteran presence on a relatively young Wings squad. And since we're only 2 good d-men away from being a cup contender, it seems like it would be a great fit for both the Wings and Boyle. And considering we make the playoffs every year, it's gotta be a pretty coveted place to play for a guy in his late 30s, who for sure wants a chance at the cup. And we just happened to have his #22 available after buying out Tootoo.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#19 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Of course I was talking about Niskanen

Numbers are an estimate coming from comparing him to guys like Seabrook, Enstrom, Girardi who were similar age when signing their contracts, not sure why you find them so absurd, everything's speculation and estimates at this point

I don't find them absurd.  I was wondering if some professional had said Niskanen would be in the same price range as those guys you just mentioned, or if you just made it up, because I don't negotiate NHL contracts for a living (and neither do you). 

I think we'd both agree that Niskanen isn't (currently) as good as those guys, so I'm not sure why you think he'd get paid like them unless you heard it from a reliable source?

I dunno.....Sumthin about signing older players who are beyond their prime sorta gives me the willies.

Probably the fact that it hasn't worked since 2002?

#20 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Would he take a 1 yr deal with a 2nd year option depending on his output, and games played, and etc?

Same time, would Niskanen or however you spell it, come here?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1