• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
alabarrie

Dan Boyle not coming back to the Sharks

Rate this topic

I'm ok with trying Boyle but only as one year deal and I'm not paying him big money. If he wants money or years let him go somewhere else. I'd rather go after Niskanen and/or Zidlicky

I'm ok with trying Boyle but only as one year deal and I'm not paying him big money. If he wants money or years let him go somewhere else. I'd rather go after Niskanen and/or Zidlicky

Niskanen would be good but much rather grab Boyle than Zidlicky

Boyle is great, veteran leadership for our young defensive core, familiar with Babcock's system (2010 Olympics, McLellan) and will be gone by the time they mature (Ouellet and Sproul)

Not many enticing names this summer for a long term deal anyway, wouldn't risk it with Niskanen

Would pay him 5-6 on a one year deal, 4.5 on a 2

Boyle is great, veteran leadership for our young defensive core, familiar with Babcock's system (2010 Olympics, McLellan) and will be gone by the time they mature (Ouellet and Sproul)

Not many enticing names this summer for a long term deal anyway, wouldn't risk it with Niskanen

Would pay him 5-6 on a one year deal, 4.5 on a 2

You think there's MORE risk signing a young guy just entering his prime and playing very well rather than an aging one dimensional veteran who's clearly declining?

You think there's MORE risk signing a young guy just entering his prime and playing very well rather than an aging one dimensional veteran who's clearly declining?

He's had one good year and chances are he's looking at nothing short of 7 years @ 5.5 to 6

He's had one good year and chances are he's looking at nothing short of 7 years @ 5.5 to 6

Where'd you come up with number? Did you just make it up or did someone with credibility say so? Because if so, could link me to where you saw it?

He's pulling stuff out of his ass, Boyle is 37 yrs old which means that his guess of what he would be looking for would give him a contract to 44. Absolutely 0 chance he gets that and also 0 chance he see's 5.5 to 6 from anyone else either.

Boyle if he could be gotten on the cheap would be a good signing I think.

He's pulling stuff out of his ass, Boyle is 37 yrs old which means that his guess of what he would be looking for would give him a contract to 44. Absolutely 0 chance he gets that and also 0 chance he see's 5.5 to 6 from anyone else either.

Boyle if he could be gotten on the cheap would be a good signing I think.

I think he was talking about Niskanen when he mentioned that numbers. But I'm still not sure where they're coming from.

I think he was talking about Niskanen when he mentioned that numbers. But I'm still not sure where they're coming from.

It's probably just a guess. And if I were to take a stab at it myself I would guess that he's right in the ballpark. Maybe he'll take a two year deal and try to get more money after. Who knows.

Where'd you come up with number? Did you just make it up or did someone with credibility say so? Because if so, could link me to where you saw it?

Of course I was talking about Niskanen

Numbers are an estimate coming from comparing him to guys like Seabrook, Enstrom, Girardi who were similar age when signing their contracts, not sure why you find them so absurd, everything's speculation and estimates at this point

We all know this has ken holland written all over it. Don't forget we gave Bert a 2 year extension at 37. Also the same guy who brought back Sammy at 35 for two years, went after Alfie and Modano and made a hard push for Jagr.

A 5 year deal wouldn't be surprising.

We all know this has ken holland written all over it. Don't forget we gave Bert a 2 year extension at 37. Also the same guy who brought back Sammy at 35 for two years, went after Alfie and Modano and made a hard push for Jagr.

A 5 year deal wouldn't be surprising.

Jagr was quite impressive this year, I would have liked that. The only bad signing at the time of the signing would be Sammy.

I have a feeling Boyle will be in the Winged Wheel next season. Not only is he a right handed shot, but he'd be another veteran presence on a relatively young Wings squad. And since we're only 2 good d-men away from being a cup contender, it seems like it would be a great fit for both the Wings and Boyle. And considering we make the playoffs every year, it's gotta be a pretty coveted place to play for a guy in his late 30s, who for sure wants a chance at the cup. And we just happened to have his #22 available after buying out Tootoo.

Of course I was talking about Niskanen

Numbers are an estimate coming from comparing him to guys like Seabrook, Enstrom, Girardi who were similar age when signing their contracts, not sure why you find them so absurd, everything's speculation and estimates at this point

I don't find them absurd. I was wondering if some professional had said Niskanen would be in the same price range as those guys you just mentioned, or if you just made it up, because I don't negotiate NHL contracts for a living (and neither do you).

I think we'd both agree that Niskanen isn't (currently) as good as those guys, so I'm not sure why you think he'd get paid like them unless you heard it from a reliable source?

I dunno.....Sumthin about signing older players who are beyond their prime sorta gives me the willies.

Probably the fact that it hasn't worked since 2002?

On a one or two year deal, he's perfect. Provides leadership, improves the PP, not taking a spot from the kids because he'd be replacing Quincey as DeKeysers partner. If we add Boyle and one of Marchenko/Sproul/Ouellet, our defence looks a whole lot better then it did in the playoffs. Plus no more Kindl or Lashoff.

They are also making Burns a D-men again. I think Thornton might be dealt.

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. If there's one thing he's proven, even back when he was in Boston, is that he doesn't have what it takes to take his team to the next level. Thornton and the Sharks are synonymous with each other and I would think SJ would want to break that.

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. If there's one thing he's proven, even back when he was in Boston, is that he doesn't have what it takes to take his team to the next level. Thornton and the Sharks are synonymous with each other and I would think SJ would want to break that.

In fairness, Yzerman couldn't lead us to the Cup and we were gonna trade him to Ottawa for Yashin. Not a perfect parallel, but yeah.

I think Thornton is a great 1C, but maybe not a great C, if you know what I mean. Thing is, who's the better leader on the team? To me, that feels like the big issue with them. Thornton doesn't have to be traded, but he probably shouldn't be captain, but there's no one better for the role, but there has to be somene better for the role, but there isn't really, so, f***.

I dunno, maybe since they're losing a veteran leader in Boyle they should look into acquiring some fresh veteran leader blood. Or they could trade for James Neal or Chris Kunitz. That would be so them.