• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bill Berzeench

America's Team?

Rate this topic

That map is pretty poor because it's based on ticket sales. Many of the "Colorado" states are buying tickets to see games in Denver, but are they going to see the Avs, or the team the Avs are playing against? Plus, when it accounts for the seats in the arena, not the best metric in states that have more than one team. California is a good example. The Sharks have always been the most popular team there, based on polls, but the Kings have a bigger arena and benefit from those extra seats

That crowd tonight had more Wings fans then Ducks..

Not quite, but there were a whole lot and we were really loud! It was impressive.

I don't think the staples center will get as many folks out tomorrow given the cost and weeknight.

Edited by kook_10

I hope not!! I wouldn't want to be like the Cowboys. They haven't done squat in 20 years, and won't for as long as Jerry Jones in control of things.

With that out of the way, I'm not convinced that there is an "America's Team" when it comes to hockey. I'd say that name better describes a handful of teams, ie the Original 6 and the one team that loves to think of itself as an Original 6 team, the Philadelphia Flyers.

Beyond that, you just have a bunch of small market teams like Edmonton and Calgary, and southern and sunbelt teams like Arizona, Dallas, and Carolina that are more fickle and/or don't have a lot of fans outside of their respective markets.

The 7 teams that I mentioned above tend to fill up visiting arenas like none other. Growing up, I went to lots of Panthers and Lightning games. When I saw them play the Red Wings, Canadiens, or Flyers, the place was packed with everyone rooting for the visiting team. Whenever I saw them play the Devils or Sharks, however, you could practically hear a pin drop in the place.

I think Edmonton has always been known to be one of the "small market" teams, but I'm not sure what criteria is used. Edmonton is the 2nd smallest NHL city in Canada I think (only Winnipeg is smaller). I'm sure Edmonton is larger than some of the US cities with teams though.

Edmonton may be small but their fan base is huge and very loyal. They aren't like Ottawa

Winnipeg seems to have some trouble selling tickets and getting season ticket holders to commit to another 5 year plan not surprised by that at all. 10 grand plus is a huge commitment over a 5 year span they need to lower their prices.