• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official 2016 Detroit Red Wings Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

This isn't and never was about Callahan for me. So I'll say it AGAIN... if it were any of the other guys you mentioned above that made the roster over Miller and / or Ott, I would be thrilled. So yes, this is about how useless I think Miller and Ott are, not how awesome I think Mitch Callahan is... So AGAIN, if Callahan is waived and claimed, I won't care about the quality of the player we are losing because players like Cally are a dime a dozen. I will however care that he was waived in order to keep two scrubs in the lineup...

We're likely going to see a 4th line of Miller - Glendening - Ott and I think that will be absolutely awful. From an analytics standpoint, they have been among the 3 worst in the entire league, and now we're going to throw all 3 on a line and see what happens... They will continue to get hemmed in their own zone for 15 minutes a night and get talked up for their defensive prowess...

This isn't and never was about Callahan for me. So I'll say it AGAIN... if it were any of the other guys you mentioned above that made the roster over Miller and / or Ott, I would be thrilled. So yes, this is about how useless I think Miller and Ott are, not how awesome I think Mitch Callahan is... So AGAIN, if Callahan is waived and claimed, I won't care about the quality of the player we are losing because players like Cally are a dime a dozen. I will however care that he was waived in order to keep two scrubs in the lineup...

We're likely going to see a 4th line of Miller - Glendening - Ott and I think that will be absolutely awful. From an analytics standpoint, they have been among the 3 worst in the entire league, and now we're going to throw all 3 on a line and see what happens... They will continue to get hemmed in their own zone for 15 minutes a night and get talked up for their defensive prowess...

We are going to see that line, they've already named it. According to Ken Kal its the " OMG! Line " I'm not making this up.

But just like you are telling us that we will be happy with Helm, I have a strong feeling that Ott is going to surprise a lot of people and become a fairly important player on this team. If I'm wrong, meh, at least its only 1 year and very little cap hit.

I'm always mad when we lose players for free, so if we lose even ONE of our waiver players, I will be mad. I'd rather trade the player for a low pick if possible, or package for a bigger return. But, thus is the NHL.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-jacob-trouba-potential-trade-partners-for-the-winnipeg-jets/2016/10/01/

This has been posted before about Dekeyser being the central piece, if that's the case, then I prefer we pursue Fowler. DD is our leader on D, we are acquiring someone to play with him, not in his place.

I say we make the deal to Anaheim for Fowler, that way we'd seem less desperate and wait until the price comes down on Trouba and see if we cannot grab him as well.

Of course there's always the 3-way deal that has been mentioned.

I just feel that we still need to upgrade the D. Ericsson looked like s*** last night. I can't believe he is going to take a spot away from someone...AND probably get protected!

http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2016/09/ducks-looking-trade.html

Ducks don't want any salary back, so much for trading Nyquist. How nice are those overpaid contracts looking now? Sure could use about $4M in cap space to acquire something we need...oh well, we're fast.

Jimmy, Ericsson, Helm, Nyquist...all that overpaid garbage. PLUS they all have NTC's!!! (Nyquist kicks in next year)

We Like our team. Two players we need to make our team better, and we can not even sniff them because of overpaid hot garbage mid tier players. Average at best. Great Job Kenny!

Edited by LeftWinger

Someone has too actually see it in order to believe this stupid s***, the Wings are going into the season with an abyssmal defense. Other than Danny Dekeyser there is nobody that can be trusted in his own end, Green is more focused on playing forward, Kronwall has two knees and nobody knows how they'll hold up...I feel bad for Mrazek and Howard no goaltender would look good behind such af****** defense.

Also if Anaheim doesn't want to take back any salary they'll never be able to trade Fowler..oh how nice that Datysuk contract trade would have looked right now plus Wings would have had Chychrun instead of Clowski.

If the defense wasn't bad enough if Larkin has a sophomore slump there won't even be a first line center. I can't even remember the last big trade the Wings have made great way to create excitement for the last season at the Joe. At least signing Backes for 5 years would have created some entertainment but no it needed to be Nielsen for 6 freaking years, another pass first shoot later guy.

Edited by frankgrimes

Someone has too actually see it in order to believe this stupid s***, the Wings are going into the season with an abyssmal defense. Other than Danny Dekeyser there is nobody that can be trusted in his own end, Green is more focused on playing forward, Kronwall has two knees and nobody knows how they'll hold up...I feel bad for Mrazek and Howard no goaltender would look good behind such af****** defense.

Also if Anaheim doesn't want to take back any salary they'll never be able to trade Fowler..oh how nice that Datysuk contract trade would have looked right now plus Wings would have had Chychrun instead of Clowski.

If the defense wasn't bad enough if Larkin has a sophomore slump there won't even be a first line center. I can't even remember the last big trade the Wings have made great way to create excitement for the last season at the Joe. At least signing Backes for 5 years would have created some entertainment but no it needed to be Nielsen for 6 freaking years, another pass first shoot later guy.

Nielsen was one of the best players at the WCH, tons of fans and analysts are saying he has looked fantastic. I don't see how signing backes over nielsen would have been better, and even if it is, what makes you think he would have wanted to come to detroit?

NYI fans were fuming that Nielsen left to come to Detroit.

Also, backes has had 119,104, and 83 PIM the past 3 seasons. 25 minutes of those are for fighting. We don't need guys who can't play defence and take tripping/hooking penalties. We have enough with Larkin Ericsson and Abby

Edited by WingsallTheway

Nielsen was one of the best players at the WCH, tons of fans and analysts are saying he has looked fantastic. I don't see how signing backes over nielsen would have been better, and even if it is, what makes you think he would have wanted to come to detroit?

NYI fans were fuming that Nielsen left to come to Detroit.

Also, backes has had 119,104, and 83 PIM the past 3 seasons. 25 minutes of those are for fighting. We don't need guys who can't play defence and take tripping/hooking penalties. We have enough with Larkin Ericsson and Abby

I don't put much stock into the Worldcup other than Canada there are maybe 2 - 3 teams who take this seriously. Yeah Backes does something nobody on this team seems willing to do, block shots, throw some hits and fight while still being highly skilled! Nielsen is your prototypical pass first, shoot later kind of guy (not that the Wings didn't have already enough of those type of players). Well the Islanders should have been fuming over losing Okposo, who isn't only much younger but also bigger and can do it all, they've lost a lot of good players. I think a player like Nielsen can work well if you have a sniper on your team - the Wings don't (hopefully Mantha can become that).

Just to be clear I didn't want anybody of the remaining players after Stamkos reupped with Tampa because I know nobody (Backes, Ladd, Nielsen...) would have fixed the number 1 center position. Okposo would have been nice as would Lucic but their destinations were more than clear. I don't know if he wanted to come here or not but I believe asking and making a competitive shouldn't have been to much to ask for.

You may value Backes PIMs as a negative I see them as a positive because it shows the guy cares and does it all.

Edited by frankgrimes

You may value Backes PIMs as a negative I see them as a positive because it shows the guy cares and does it all.

...5 years at $6 million per season. Anybody that doesn't think that's too much for too long is crazy.

All 25 minutes of your "quality" PIMs or not... Backes is going to be a broken down shell of his former self by next season.

If not by mid-season.

Edited by e_prime

I do think next summer is when Howard gets moved as a 2 year contract should not be a hard sell if he doesn't decline anymore this year. E is not going anywhere unfortunately, unless he turns his game around, but if he does that I see Holland keeping him anyways.

If you don't think E can be moved, then why do you think Howard can be? Even for two years, that's a combined $10+ million for a HUGE question mark at the position you don't want questions at, especially bringing it in voluntarily. Then again, maybe he'll be able to turn his problems around this season with the time and the low pressure having a backup role allows, and teams will come calling. I think the likely scenario is he gets claimed in the expansion draft if anything though.

Yes he will. He's no longer waiver eligible.

Wow, that really sucks. Didn't realize this. Damn Holland, you just HAD to give Jimmy an NTC, didn't you? Was there ever anything to that rumour Carolina wanted to start to move away from Cam Ward and were interested in Howard? Haven't been keeping up on things over the summer. How would waivers work with Jimmy? I've read multiple times that he can't be waived because of the NTC, but what if he's not cutting it and they want Coreau up? They must be able to waive him and send him to GR, no? Waiver rules have always confused me. haha

Yes, Howard could be sent down to Grand Rapids in favor of Coreau, but that would never happen. We would save money by doing so but assuming Howard went unclaimed, we'd still be on the hook for most of that contract. You can waive players with NTC's, you just can't with NMC's, and the only player on our roster with a NMC is Nielsen. Howard has a modified NTC, which he would have to give a list of 10 teams he would be willing to waive for, and I highly doubt Carolina would be on that list. Although I guess you never know. If he felt he had a good shot in taking the number one spot there, he might be willing to go there...

Both Howard and Ericsson CAN be traded, it just involves the will / want to make it happen. Unfortunately, I don't think Holland really wants to move either bad enough. Although Howard was "available" this summer, I'm not so sure Holland really wanted to move him. And I think he still believes Ericsson is a solid top 4 defenseman. I do think Howard will be moved after this season (if not before) and Coreau will be our backup next season (hopefully). But unfortunately I don't see Ericsson going anywhere. He will either finish that contract in Detroit or go on LTIR at some point over the next 4 seasons...

While I don't disagree Lefty, I think buying out both is an unlikely move by Holland.

Especially when we're carrying Weiss' buyout cap number until 2021 and it's at it's most expensive cost NEXT YEAR.

krsmith's assessment of Holland's thinking of those two is pretty spot on.

I would love to think that one of either Howard or Ericsson would be picked up in the expansion draft, but as I'm not really sure of all the details on the rules of the expansion draft, that might be wishful thinking on my part.

as we stand, they only have $6.7M available cap next season. Tatar will get Nyquist money, Smith will get at least $4M, not even counting Jurco, Pulkkinen or any other "kid" they bring up. Unless they dump Howard AND Ericsson they will have no room to do even have the same team they have now.

Buyout would have E at a cap hit of $1.6M, $1.3M, $1.3M, $1.3M, $1.3M, $1.3M and Howard at $1.8M, $2.3M, $1.5M, $1.5M.

Thats a lot of years to pay someone to not be here, but if neither are claimed and we cannot trade them, in order to be able to have a team and not waive ALL the kids without exemptions, this is the only choice.

Of course that's still counting Franzen's money, but it would be the most beneficial to rid ourselves of E and Howard. Nyquist would help too, but that would most likely involve cap coming back in trade, so that would wash.

We also have to make sure we hold some money for two years from now when Larkin is going to get every bit of at least $5M and Mrazek will get $6M....s*** man, I didn't even real all the contracts due up the next couple of years, Holland better hope his "kids" are the answer because with the god awful contracts he has given out, and will no doubt give again, he will have ZERO room for UFA upgrades the next couple of seasons. We already know he won't trade players away for upgrades, so that's out the window.

Edited by LeftWinger

...5 years at $6 million per season. Anybody that doesn't think that's too much for too long is crazy.

All 25 minutes of your "quality" PIMs or not... Backes is going to be a broken down shell of his former self by next season.

If not by mid-season.

is it long yes? Guy will be 36 by then but Nielsen will be 38.

It's still funny because Boston needs to rebuild the defense big Z won't tower it forever.

Yeah, ideally Vegas would take Howard or Ericsson, but unfortunately I doubt they will. I see them taking a Sheahan or Helm (if not protected). If we could somehow manage to get Vegas to take one and trade the other (retaining $1-1.5M in salary), that would be huge for this team going forward...