• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Capfriendly.com starts it's own expansion tool!

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

www.capfriendly.com/expansion

Thanks to our friends at Capfriendly.com!

What you posted isn't a link, and when I cut and paste it took me to a page that said "Error 404 no page found" with Dustin Byfuglien's photo.

Not trying to give you a hard time, I legit want to check it out.

Edited by kliq

Looks good now!

I think I would protect:

F- Nielson (no choice), Nyquist, Abby, Helm Tatar, Mantha, AA

D - DD, and 2 of Sproul/Marchenko/XO (depending on how this season goes)

G - Mrazek

I would ask Zetterberg to come out publicly before the expansion draft and say he wouldn't play for anyone other then the Wings to avoid team embarrassment.

I know if Zetterberg was traded and then retired there is some sort of re-capture penalty. Does that apply if he is picked in the expansion draft? Not sure if this was specified in the CBA as it is a unique unprecedented situation as there has never been an expansion draft in the cap era.

Either way, based on my picks I am guessing Las Vegas takes either Howard, Sheahan, or one of those 3 D. 

50 minutes ago, Juklitz said:

I don´t think you have to protect Abby, can´t imagine LV will take his contract. Nearly the same for Helm. 

Abby, I think it all depends on how this year goes. His cap hit is not bad, its just the term. I see your point with him though.

I could easily see Helm being taken, in fact if left unprotected I would say he becomes the favourite. I dont feel like getting into a Helm debate again, but it was widely reported that many teams were looking to sign Helm and despite the vocal minority here on LGW.com he is a very good player. Don't forget, Vegas will struggle to get to the cap floor.

In a dream scenario though, they take E!

Edited by kliq

Really helpful tool. Thanks LeftWinger!

I completely agree with kliq's picks, although I'm still hoping for a trade before the expansion draft... I might even consider protecting Green if he keeps up his recent play. My defense would be DeKeyser, Sproul and either Green or Ouellet depending on how this season goes for both.

Also really interesting to see how many NMC's there are. The Hawks have 4 forwards (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Anisimov), 3 defensemen (Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson) and goalie (Crawford) all with NMC's. They can only protect one more defenseman OR three more forwards. Not that they have a lot to choose from anyway because their depth is awful with their core locked up to massive contracts...

The Jets really should be more aggressively shopping Trouba or Myers unless they're okay with protecting two less players (8 players rather than 7 forwards and 3 defensemen)... They could be one of the few teams that might elect to go that route though if they can get something worked out with Trouba...

I'm not sure if he will or not. My gut says he will protect both Zetterberg and Kronwall, but this was what I want to see (or what I would personally do), not what I think Holland will do...

I think it depends on if they are healthy when the time comes. If Kronwall only plays a handful of games this year, no I don't think he would be protected, because there's no way Vegas would draft him... Likewise, if Zetterberg has another set back or like other have mentioned, states publically that he would retire if they picked him, he would not be protected or drafted...

I have a feeling that Vegas will not want to pay Z or Kronwall's cap for broken down players. If either of them are protected, it'll be a travesty. They both should want Detroit to keep more of the young talent so they have a better chance to maybe win something before they retire. They both should volunteer to be left unprotected and make it known that if Vegas selects one that they will retire. If we waste 2 protects on them, that means Helm, Nyquist or Tatar goes unprotected. Same with Sproul or XO. Now, if your Vegas, even if they don't threaten to retire, are you more excited to see Zoey and Kronwall there or any combination of the others mentioned. If Z and Kronwall are open, there's a better chance Howard or Jurco get selected. If those two are left along with the others I mentioned, who would you take?

Worst case scenario, IMO, Holland protects Z, Glenny, Kronwall and Ericsson.  Disaster...

11 hours ago, kliq said:

Looks good now!

I think I would protect:

F- Nielson (no choice), Nyquist, Abby, Helm Tatar, Mantha, AA

D - DD, and 2 of Sproul/Marchenko/XO (depending on how this season goes)

G - Mrazek

I would ask Zetterberg to come out publicly before the expansion draft and say he wouldn't play for anyone other then the Wings to avoid team embarrassment.

I know if Zetterberg was traded and then retired there is some sort of re-capture penalty. Does that apply if he is picked in the expansion draft? Not sure if this was specified in the CBA as it is a unique unprecedented situation as there has never been an expansion draft in the cap era.

Either way, based on my picks I am guessing Las Vegas takes either Howard, Sheahan, or one of those 3 D. 

Not that I think Vegas is going to take a 37-year-old, earning 6M+ for four more seasons, but it's probably something management will consider when they select their protected players. The "recapture pool" for 2017-18 sits at $11,983,336, so the Wings would wind up facing a cap penalty of $2,995,834 in each of the four remaining years on his contract if he refused to play/retired.

I wonder if the NHL would threaten to penalize the Wings if Z came out and said something like that. Otherwise, what's stopping other teams/players from doing something similar? Daly's already said teams that don't follow the rules could lose draft picks/players. I wonder if they'd view it as some sort of circumvention. Honestly, the league kind of tweaks and makes up their own rules as they go along, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Either way, I'm hoping for something along the lines of:

Forwards: Nielsen (NMC), Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Athanasiou & two of Abdelkader/Helm/Zetterberg
Defensemen: DeKeyser, Ouellet & Sproul
Goaltender: Mrazek

Edited by Jesusberg

5 minutes ago, Jesusberg said:

I wonder if the NHL would threaten to penalize the Wings if Z came out and said something like that. Otherwise, what's stopping other teams/players from doing something similar? Daly's already said teams that don't follow the rules could lose draft picks/players. I wonder if they'd view it as some sort of circumvention. Honestly, the league kind of tweaks and makes up their own rules as they go along, so I wouldn't be shocked.

Yea I was wondering that too. Last thing they would want for their brand new team is a long line of players saying they would rather retire than play there.

I know Vegas would most likely want to draft a lot of younger players. But as mentioned they will also need to hit the cap floor. They would also need at least a few veteran players to show the kids the way.

Not to mention Vegas is going to try and draw a new fan base and I don't think a team of "nobodies" would be appealing as say having Henrik Zetterberg as your captain.

It really depends on who is available from other teams. I say if have better options from other teams then taking a Zetterburg or Kronwall might be fairly appealing. Thinking along these lines I could definitely see Kenny protecting these guys.

The thing is, if you protected DD, Sproul and XO, that would leave Marchenko open, if you protected him, that would leave XO or Sproul open.  If you dealt XO in a deal to acquire Fowler or Trouba, then you protected DD, Fowler(Trouba,) Sproul, that would still leave Marchy open (or Sproul) and if I'm Vegas, I am drafting higher end young D before I am drafting a 37 or 35 year old broken down Z or Kronner.  I understand the whole veteran thing on the team, but even if they don't come out and say they will retire, everyone in the NHL (us especially) have ZERO doubt that they'll (especially Z) play out their contracts, even here.  So it would be pointless to even attempt to draft those two, especially if someone like Sproul, XO or Marchenko is available.  If Howard stays as good as he's been, he may be the best goalie left available, even at 33 years old.

Nielsen, Abby, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, AA

DD, Sproul, Marchenko

Mrazek

..from our current team and status, those are my choices to be protected.  Any UFA's should not need a wasted protect because if you lost one (Vanek, Smith, Ott, Miller) they could turn around less than a month later and come back to Detroit.

Vegas would waste a draft pick. I could especially see Vanek doing this, he can negotiate with Holland anytime, have a deal set in place, but not sign until AFTER the draft.  I don't think that would be against any rules.

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

The thing is, if you protected DD, Sproul and XO, that would leave Marchenko open, if you protected him, that would leave XO or Sproul open.  If you dealt XO in a deal to acquire Fowler or Trouba, then you protected DD, Fowler(Trouba,) Sproul, that would still leave Marchy open (or Sproul) and if I'm Vegas, I am drafting higher end young D before I am drafting a 37 or 35 year old broken down Z or Kronner.  I understand the whole veteran thing on the team, but even if they don't come out and say they will retire, everyone in the NHL (us especially) have ZERO doubt that they'll (especially Z) play out their contracts, even here.  So it would be pointless to even attempt to draft those two, especially if someone like Sproul, XO or Marchenko is available.  If Howard stays as good as he's been, he may be the best goalie left available, even at 33 years old.

Nielsen, Abby, Helm, Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, AA

DD, Sproul, Marchenko

Mrazek

..from our current team and status, those are my choices to be protected.  Any UFA's should not need a wasted protect because if you lost one (Vanek, Smith, Ott, Miller) they could turn around less than a month later and come back to Detroit.

Vegas would waste a draft pick. I could especially see Vanek doing this, he can negotiate with Holland anytime, have a deal set in place, but not sign until AFTER the draft.  I don't think that would be against any rules.

My point was if they already have chosen better young D from other teams. I'm not exactly sure what's available from other teams but I assume there are going to be quite a few young players with unknown potential available. I agree it's far more likely that they would take them I'm just speculating possibilities.

I'd really like to see a few mock Vegas drafts to see what people come up with.

1 hour ago, NitzGuy said:

Yea I was wondering that too. Last thing they would want for their brand new team is a long line of players saying they would rather retire than play there.

I know Vegas would most likely want to draft a lot of younger players. But as mentioned they will also need to hit the cap floor. They would also need at least a few veteran players to show the kids the way.

Not to mention Vegas is going to try and draw a new fan base and I don't think a team of "nobodies" would be appealing as say having Henrik Zetterberg as your captain.

It really depends on who is available from other teams. I say if have better options from other teams then taking a Zetterburg or Kronwall might be fairly appealing. Thinking along these lines I could definitely see Kenny protecting these guys.

I'm sure they'll look for established players for the reasons you mentioned (leadership and needing to reach the cap floor), but I've got to believe there are better options than Z and Kronwall. The only reason I consider protecting Z and not Kronner his cap recapture penalty hits harder than Kronwall's.

For that reason, I think Holland won't be as worried about protecting Kronwall. Worst case scenario, LV selects Kronwall, he retires and the Wings pay $2,125,000 for two seasons. If anything, I can see Kenny protecting both of them out of loyalty (which I'm sure is something people would be thrilled with).

49 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Right, and I think it depends what else is out there for Vegas. They have to hit the cap floor, either way. You have to think that Z and Kronwall will be among the less desirable options out there, but who knows? It's more about avoiding that cap recapture penalty than anything.

Same applies for Sproul/XO/Marchenko. We value those players, but compared to some of the other young players who will be exposed, they're probably not as appealing as we believe. I can see Vegas targeting established players, then players with the most potential, and then looking for leftover vets with cap hits to to meet the cap floor.

Honestly, I can see them taking Mike Green if Holland leaves him exposed. He's got history with George McPhee, and will have one year left at 6M. Without knowing what LV is thinking/who else they're going to select, I think Green might be the most likely candidate.

Edited by Jesusberg

Unless Z just sucks this year, I'd think he'd be a pretty attractive piece for Vegas. $7M actual salary next year, but after that it plummets. Conn Smythe winning leadership. And it's not like anyone else we'll have exposed will be that great. I'd bet Z will be protected.

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think you can do a mock draft on the site, but you'd have to guess at which players would be protected from all teams.

Does anyone know when teams have to have their list submitted?

"The 30 NHL Clubs must submit their Protection List by 5:00 P.M. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017. The Las Vegas team must submit their Expansion Draft Selections by 5:00 P.M. ET on June 20 and the announcement of their selections will be released on made on June 21."

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

I'm waiting for that "Quick Protect" option to become available on CapFriendly's expansion tool. I could guess at which players each team will protect, but I think other team's fans will paint a much clearer picture with their choices, especially once CF collects enough protection selections/data.

Edited by Jesusberg

Did anyone see this?

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/43125/rumblings-las-vegas-will-get-a-head-start-on-free-agency

"the Vegas organization will have a 48-hour window ahead of the expansion draft in June to speak with and sign any pending unrestricted or restricted free agents whom the 30 teams left unprotected for the expansion draft."

"And the same goes for RFAs, who obviously are younger. Any RFAs left unprotected for the expansion draft can become property of the Vegas franchise if they agree to terms on a new contract within that 48-hour window."

Haha I meant I don't hate that they're trying to make the team competitive. F*** them if they take any of our RFA's though... I love Smitty but I'd be okay with trading him for an upgrade on the back end. If we lose him for nothing though, I'd be pretty pissed...

Im not worried about the taking UFA's, why would a UFA sign with Vegas a team they have zero loyalty to before being able to receive any offers from other teams.

The RFA thing scares me though. That means we could lose any of AA, Jurco, XO, Pasquale, Russo, Paterson, Lashoff, Callahan, or Jensen IN ADDITION to whomever they pick in the expansion draft. Though I would have to guess AA is going to be protected.

If I'm Jurco or XO, I would totally consider it.

Edited by kliq

2 hours ago, kliq said:

Im not worried about the taking UFA's, why would a UFA sign with Vegas a team they have zero loyalty to before being able to receive any offers from other teams.

The RFA thing scares me though. That means we could lose any of AA, Jurco, XO, Pasquale, Russo, Paterson, Lashoff, Callahan, or Jensen IN ADDITION to whomever they pick in the expansion draft. Though I would have to guess AA is going to be protected.

If I'm Jurco or XO, I would totally consider it.

That's not the way I understood it. In your link it says:

"If any of the 30 teams loses a free agent to Vegas during this 48-hour window, it no longer can lose anyone in the expansion draft. In other words, that free agent lost counts as the one player lost in the expansion draft."

That doesn't specify UFA so I think it would apply to RFAs too. So I think each team can only lose 1 player.

This new information could work in our favour since they could take some free agent like Ott or Miller and that could count as our player lost. And if we decide we're not going to re-sign either Smith or Vanek than they could be taken and it would be no different than losing them to free agency and no additional player taken away.