• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miksteri

Brent Burns signs a 8yr deal

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, e_prime said:

You have to look at previous contacts to determine what is the new "going rate." 

As far as Crosby goes... who cares?  He's a has been!  We're on to McDavid as the New Savior of the NHL.  ;)

Looks like Crosby still has some gas in the tank (14 goals in 14 games) and still the best ppg stat in the league.  Missing the first 6 games may end up proving too much in the long run though in terms of total points.  I'd look at Crosby a bit different as well though, he took a bit of a discount when he signed his deal and it was a 12 year deal I think, which aren't possible anymore.

With Burns, it's tough to say "yeah, but if everyone else signed today, they'd be getting more."  Firstly, cap hasn't moved much in the past few years, it's not like every other defenseman signed their deals ages ago.  The reality is that (ignoring Subban), there are only about 5 or 6 other guys in the league that make within $1M per year what he makes (speaking D only of course).  Everyone else is about $2M or more off.  Which I don't have much of a problem with because he's one of the best, not sure if he's the best, but one of the best and contracts will fluctuate, so I'm fine with that.  The more curious aspect to me is that it's for 8 years, he'll be 40 by the end of the last year.  Maybe by then the $8M won't look like much, or maybe it will look like a massive cap hit for a guy that doesn't have much left.

Burns ain't worth no 8 mill in a few years for sure. Just to shift gears, Carey Price is coming up for negotiation soon. What's he worth? 10 for 10? That's what I'd pay if I was a hard-pressed french-canadian GM in Montréal.

3 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Burns ain't worth no 8 mill in a few years for sure. Just to shift gears, Carey Price is coming up for negotiation soon. What's he worth? 10 for 10? That's what I'd pay if I was a hard-pressed french-canadian GM in Montréal.

He can't be signed any longer than 8 years. My guess is he makes in the 8-9 million range. 

27 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

He can't be signed any longer than 8 years. My guess is he makes in the 8-9 million range. 

Oopsie daisy thought 10 years was max, thanks for clarifying that. I'd bet he'll get more than 8. 9 is fine, could get more.

29 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Oopsie daisy thought 10 years was max, thanks for clarifying that. I'd bet he'll get more than 8. 9 is fine, could get more.

Maybe.  Goalies don't tend to make as much as elite centres for whatever reason.  It's the most important position in the game....teams can go from nothing to something with a great goalie.  No single other player could do that.  My guess is it's because it's more of a streaky position, good goalies come and go and maybe there is the thought another guy could be just as good.

Lundqvist makes a lot, 8.5 and it think there are a few at 7, a handful in the 6s, few more in the 5s and the rest below that.

40 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

I feel like it will be closer to 8. Injury history, age and having cap space to ice a competitive team will be factors. He will be 31 when his next contract begins. As good as he is now, paying a goalie in his late 30's 10 million a year would be insanity. I feel he is a reasonable enough guy to take a slight discount to stay in Montreal. 

43 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

My guess is it's because it's more of a streaky position, good goalies come and go and maybe there is the thought another guy could be just as good.

Bang on. Bryzgalov is a perfect example. Great in ANA, moved because he was #1 material and they had Michelin Man. Waived, picked up by ARI. Does great, signs monster deal with PHI. Stinks it up, bought out after one season. He's had a few other shots at comebacks in MIN and ANA, but he sucked again and was released. Least he's got $100 million to play with when he's bored.

Edited by chaps80