• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/7 GDT : Red Wings at San Jose Sharks, 10:30 EST

Here are a few centers in this year's draft that I like.  Big fan of Vilardi and Hischier.  I'd avoid Patrick at all costs...unless he falls way down the draft board and we can trade back to get another asset.  Sports hernias are devastating (ask Stephen Weiss), but it is happening early enough in his career that he may be able to rebound.  BIG risk though.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Here are a few centers in this year's draft that I like.  Big fan of Vilardi and Hischier.  I'd avoid Patrick at all costs...unless he falls way down the draft board and we can trade back to get another asset.  Sports hernias are devastating (ask Stephen Weiss), but it is happening early enough in his career that he may be able to rebound.  BIG risk though.

Patrick is out because of an "upper body injury".

https://www.nhl.com/news/nolan-patrick-to-miss-a-couple-more-weeks/c-283799348

Unless there is something new that I didn't see, which is always possible. His hernia was last year.

As I have talked about in the draft thread, if we are picking in the top 5 I want Patrick or Rasmussen. if we are picking 6th through 14th I want Foote.

6 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Unless there is something new that I didn't see, which is always possible. His hernia was last year.

As I have talked about in the draft thread, if we are picking in the top 5 I want Patrick or Rasmussen. if we are picking 6th through 14th I want Foote.

You just like both because of their size. Rasmussen is often compared to Brian Boyle. If we're picking in the top 5 I don't want someone who is just big, defensively responsible but limited offensively. We have that in spades already. 

11 minutes ago, Richdg said:

I'd have to dig up the article, but I read recently that the "upper body injury" was an aggravation of the sports hernia issue.  Doesn't look good.  I wouldn't touch him unless he fell down the board and I could move back and get another pick. 

4 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

You just like both because of their size. Rasmussen is often compared to Brian Boyle. If we're picking in the top 5 I don't want someone who is just big, defensively responsible but limited offensively. We have that in spades already. 

Not even close to Boyle. he is like Keith Primeau, a future 30 goal guy, which is why most sites have him ranked top 5ish.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

I'd have to dig up the article, but I read recently that the "upper body injury" was an aggravation of the sports hernia issue.  Doesn't look good.  I wouldn't touch him unless he fell down the board and I could move back and get another pick. 

Anything is possible. Injuries are never what they really are.... But on the other hand Draper, Mccarty, Maltby and many others that have played for us have had hernias and were fine after surgery.

2 minutes ago, Richdg said:

Not even close to Boyle. he is like Keith Primeau, a future 30 goal guy, which is why most sites have him ranked top 5ish.

Anything is possible. Injuries are never what they really are.... But on the other hand Draper, Mccarty, Maltby and many others that have played for us have had hernias and were fine after surgery.

True, and quite a few guys haven't been the same after a sports hernia.  Like I said before, it's good that it's happening so early in his career.  But I'd be VERY cautious with him.

Just now, kipwinger said:

True, and quite a few guys haven't been the same after a sports hernia.  Like I said before, it's good that it's happening so early in his career.  But I'd be VERY cautious with him.

The key with him is how much does he play before the end of the year. There is no doubt that he is the most talented player available. TBH I like him as a RW over a C, but that is just me. If he drop a couple of spots and we can still get him at 3, 4, 5 GREAT! Just take the time and get him right before he plays.

2 minutes ago, Richdg said:

The key with him is how much does he play before the end of the year. There is no doubt that he is the most talented player available. TBH I like him as a RW over a C, but that is just me. If he drop a couple of spots and we can still get him at 3, 4, 5 GREAT! Just take the time and get him right before he plays.

I'd be pissed if we took anything other than a center or a defenseman in the draft.  We've got wingers in spades.  Especially if the organization insists on continuing to use AA and Larkin as wingers.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'd be pissed if we took anything other than a center or a defenseman in the draft.  We've got wingers in spades.  Especially if the organization insists on continuing to use AA and Larkin as wingers.

Larkin has been playing C the past couple of games. Finally.......

Wrong, eliteprospects.com has all of Rasmussens rankings from the 4 major sites. McKeens hockey is the only one in the top 5. 2 have him in the 20's and ISS has him at 7. I've watched him play and see more Brian Boyle than Primeau. According to Craig Butten he isn't physical at all either. I have also watched Hischier live and when available on tv as well. He or Liljegren would be my pick in the top 5 because they have elite talent, not just potential or size. Hischier plays much larger than his size too. 

Edited by BringBack19

5 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Wrong, eliteprospects.com has all of Rasmussens rankings from the 4 major sites. McKeens hockey is the only one in the top 5. 2 have him in the 20's and ISS has him at 7. I've watched him play and see more Brian Boyle than Primeau. According to Craig Butten he isn't physical at all either. I have also watched Hischier live and when available on tv as well. He or Liljegren would be my pick in the top 5 because they have elite talent, not just potential or size. Hischier plays much larger than his size too. 

Go to the draft thread. There are videos up of the guys that I posted there. How many sites are there? Dozens. Every player has all different rankings. Rasmussen is top 5 in many of them, top 10 in the majority of them. The knock on Rasmussen before this season was he doesn't shoot enough. This year he has 29 goals in 44 games with 19 assists to date. Boyle was never that good offensively at any level. The only guy in this draft with more goals in the CHL is Tippett-another player I like, who has 31.

Here is the scouting report on Rasmussen:

"Large competitive centreman with skill and good feet. A gritty player with mobility who wins most board scrums, he is a dominant player in the front and below the goal line. Difficult to contain or move. He wins puck battles and scores. Intriguing prospect with upside offensively, difficult to contain, and effective vision and passing skills. He might look for the pass over shooting. Has an upright skating stride but gets there and shows jam when he greets you. Is an effective two way centre. "

Of course others may disagree.

7 hours ago, BringBack19 said:

That scouting report doesn't make me think of elite when I read it. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

That is always true with prospects. Everyone has their fav's, be it fans, scouts, draft sites, and GM's. There are very few players that everyone agrees on in most years. 1 or 2 tops. After those guys it is up to each team based on needs and type of team they want.

As I mentioned earlier another guy I like is Tippett. he is rising fast on most boards. Might be the fastest F in the draft and has the best shots-slap and wrist. The negative on him was he misses too much. But with 31 goals so far that seems to be corrected.

Pisses me off that we're bad in a "weak draft class"

Of all the godam years this had to be it.

Here's the source on Nolan Patrick's sports hernia:

Among the top players for the 2017 draft is center Nolan Patrick of Brandon of the Western Hockey League. Patrick is expected to be ready for training camp after having sports hernia surgery in July.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-nhl-draft-futures-list-highlighted-by-nolan-patrick/c-281220668

10 hours ago, Richdg said:

That is always true with prospects. Everyone has their fav's, be it fans, scouts, draft sites, and GM's. There are very few players that everyone agrees on in most years. 1 or 2 tops. After those guys it is up to each team based on needs and type of team they want.

As I mentioned earlier another guy I like is Tippett. he is rising fast on most boards. Might be the fastest F in the draft and has the best shots-slap and wrist. The negative on him was he misses too much. But with 31 goals so far that seems to be corrected.

I agree with you on Tippett. He meets a lot of needs. I would prefer a center or dman, but he would be a huge asset on the pp. He needs to work on his defense, but most kids do his age. If he rounds out his game he could be a top line winger that scores 35-40 goals in his prime.