• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, Dabura said:

All good responses, some tasty food for thought.

I like @LeftWinger's idea of getting two of the Rangers' three 1sts, including #9. I guess for this kind of thing to work, it wouldn't be enough for the Wings to be "whatevz" about who they take with that first pick -- the trade partner would have to be of the opposite mentality, i.e. they feel [x player] is much more desirable than [other players] and they like him so much that they're willing to pay a price to get him. I dunno that any of the teams in the 7ish-10ish range will be That Team, but the Rangers did trade up in last year's draft to get Lias Andersson and paid a pretty steep price for the privilege. That doesn't necessarily have any bearing on this draft, but at the very least it's a precedent. I doubt we could get a Stepan-caliber player from any of the potential trade partners, but getting #9 + #26/28 and still being able to draft one of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson could be more than good enough. Maybe.

I also like Edmonton as a potential trade partner, if only because Chiarelli is Chiarelli. Klefbom, anyone? Yamamoto?

Edmonton? Chiarelli? I'd do 6th for 10th and Puljujarvi...

10 minutes ago, Dabura said:

There's also the possibility that the Wings identify a player that they want very badly and Holland determines, via the magic of Working the Phones on the Draft Floor, that this player is going to be available at 9th or 10th or whatever.

Or there's the other possibility that the Wings identify a player that they want very badly and it's someone we wouldn't expect. We're all assuming the Wings are obsessing over the very same pool of names we're obsessing over, but maybe they're not.

I'm thinking this is what happened in 2013 when they knew they could still get their guy (Mantha) at 20. But yeah, assuming we know we can still get one of "our guys", I too like the idea of trading back two or three spots to gain another pick. 

I'm okay with pretty much anyone consistently ranked in the top 8-10. The one player I'd be a little disappointed with is Kotkaniemi...

The one interesting name that I've seen pop up via Khan, etc is Jesperi Kotkaniemi out of Finland. He's a left-handed center who has shot up in rankings this past season. He's currently listed as #6 by NHL Central Scouting among EU Skaters. He played well at the WJC-18 and played a season for Assat in Liiga as a 17-year-old. He put up 29 points in 57 games which is pretty impressive for a kid at that level. He has decent size already (6'2", 190 lbs). I feel like if they don't get the D they really want at 6, they may trade back and add a pick and get this kid around the 10 spot. It's all a crapshoot though, so who knows. 

I understand they are looking at D and Centers as the priority but I would be annoyed if they passed on Wahlstrom, given his skillset and NHL readiness. He's listed as a winger, but I'm pretty sure he's played center at some point.

We need a RH'd scoring winger for sure. If they go O, then Wahlstrom has to be the pick.  I'd pass on another LH'd C, especially one that isn't projected to be a franchise #1 center. Jesperi may have risen in the rankings, but he is not what we need.  We need D and we need a high scoring RH'd winger. If not one of the D talked about throughout this thread, then Wahlstrom. IMO, if they draft Wahlstrom at 6, they'll then be moving some assets for a top line D.

I could deal with:

6. Wahlstrom

30(31.) Bokk

33. Samuelsson

36. Addison

...we could then trade AA and Svech to Carolina for a top D.

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

The one interesting name that I've seen pop up via Khan, etc is Jesperi Kotkaniemi out of Finland. He's a left-handed center who has shot up in rankings this past season. He's currently listed as #6 by NHL Central Scouting among EU Skaters. He played well at the WJC-18 and played a season for Assat in Liiga as a 17-year-old. He put up 29 points in 57 games which is pretty impressive for a kid at that level. He has decent size already (6'2", 190 lbs). I feel like if they don't get the D they really want at 6, they may trade back and add a pick and get this kid around the 10 spot. It's all a crapshoot though, so who knows. 

I understand they are looking at D and Centers as the priority but I would be annoyed if they passed on Wahlstrom, given his skillset and NHL readiness. He's listed as a winger, but I'm pretty sure he's played center at some point.

Kotkaniemi is the one player I really hope we don't draft. I'd be good with any of the 4 defensemen or Wahlstrom at 6.

My order assuming the top 5 are Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkatchuk, and one of the defensemen, would be Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes, Veleno, Kotkaniemi...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Kotkaniemi is the one player I really hope we don't draft. I'd be good with any of the 4 defensemen or Wahlstrom at 6.

My order assuming the top 5 are Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkatchuk, and one of the defensemen, would be Bouchard, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Dobson, Hughes, Veleno, Kotkaniemi...

Any particular reason? Craig Button's last mock draft has him going 8th. So it wouldn't be a huge reach no? Word is the Wings are sniffing around in his direction a bit. They like his play making and he plays a half-heavy game too. 

If they were to swap 6 and 8 with the Hawks and get Chicago's #27 (via Nashville) and end up taking the Finn, I'd be OK with that. 

edit: spelling

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

17 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Any particular reason? Craig Button's last mock draft has him going 8th. So it wouldn't be a huge reach no? Word is the Wings are sniffing around in his direction a bit. They like his play making and he plays a half-heavy game too. 

If they were to swap 6 and 8 with the Hawks and get Chicago's #27 (via Nashville) and end up taking the Finn, I'd be OK with that. 

Just a personal preference I guess. I'd prefer any of the other 5 or 6 players before him. This will be our highest pick since 1990 (Primeau), I don't want to trade back unless we're guaranteed one of the top guys, and even then, only if it's for a significant return. We need to add some high end centers, but Kotkaniemi has played significant time on the wing. He may develop into a center, but I see him as more of a winger at the NHL level. The last thing this organization needs is another left-handed winger. Always go best player available, but all things being equal, take the defenseman or center over the winger.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Drafting that player would be stoooooopidER.

Why? Other than the way he shoots. 

This organization lacks skilled play making center prospects. And by "lacks" I mean they have none. They're better set up on D. And that says something. If you think they can grab someone later in the first/early second, fine. But I think the need is being underrated around these parts. 

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Just a personal preference I guess. I'd prefer any of the other 5 or 6 players before him. This will be our highest pick since 1990 (Primeau), I don't want to trade back unless we're guaranteed one of the top guys, and even then, only if it's for a significant return. We need to add some high end centers, but Kotkaniemi has played significant time on the wing. He may develop into a center, but I see him as more of a winger at the NHL level. The last thing this organization needs is another left-handed winger. Always go best player available, but all things being equal, take the defenseman or center over the winger.

Well put. I didn't realize he was another half winger type. I just think that highly skilled pure center prospects are needed in a bad way.  

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well put. I didn't realize he was another half winger type. I just think that highly skilled pure center prospects are needed in a bad way.  

I agree 100%. We do need to add a high end skilled center, but I just don't see Kotkaniemi fitting the bill. Maybe he would, but for our highest pick in two and a half decades, I'd prefer a little more of a sure thing.

He does not fit the bill. We have multiple holes, but ATM defense and scoring RW'er are a more pressing need.  Next draft (we'll probably be a lottery team again) maybe we can address the need for a high end center.  Right now, they just aren't there for us, especially to waste a #6 on one when the more guarantee (dare I say "no brainer") pick would be one of the D or if O, Wahlstrom.  If Holland picks Kotkaniemi, he has a serious screw loose and there would be no doubt he is afraid to make the moves needed to rebuild this franchise.

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Nowhere does it say Rybar scares me. I said Holland being typical could be scary.

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Yep, classic twisting of the words.

Premise: Signing Rybar = Typical

Premise: Typical = Scary

Conclusion: Therefore, signing Rybar = Scary

This is basic logic guys, I hope you're not actually this obtuse.

15 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He does not fit the bill. We have multiple holes, but ATM defense and scoring RW'er are a more pressing need.  Next draft (we'll probably be a lottery team again) maybe we can address the need for a high end center.  Right now, they just aren't there for us, especially to waste a #6 on one when the more guarantee (dare I say "no brainer") pick would be one of the D or if O, Wahlstrom.  If Holland picks Kotkaniemi, he has a serious screw loose and there would be no doubt he is afraid to make the moves needed to rebuild this franchise.

Dylan Cozens

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

you'll be the only one...now THIS is scary! Red Wings become DEAD Wings if Holland drafts this kid...

First Rybar, now Kotkaniemi? What doesn't spook you?

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

LOL I somehow want him even less now...

THE FACE OF THE DEAD WINGS

jesperi-kotkaniemi.png

What if he traded the 6th and moved back a few spots? In the trade he adds a young high potential defenseman and maybe some other pieces/picks, then takes this kid with whatever pick we moved back to.

Would everyone be butthurt then?