No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

And I said "person."

And position

On 5/27/2018 at 10:29 AM, LeftWinger said:

How many times do you have to read that it's not about the person or position signed.

Ok then what is so scary about signing Rybar? It's clearly not about the person or position, as you say. So is it the country? The contract? The age? The handedness? Or are you just trying to fabricate reasons to s*** on management?

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And position

Ok then what is so scary about signing Rybar? It's clearly not about the person or position, as you say. So is it the country? The contract? The age? The handedness? Or are you just trying to fabricate reasons to s*** on management?

We have a winner!

Honestly ALL four of the discussed D fit our team and would help it in many ways.

Bouchard - I think is the player that fills most if not all of what we need in a #1/#2 D.

Dobson - Also fills our need for a #1/#2 D, but being in the Q tends to exaggerate your stats a bit, but could still be the one we need!

Hughes - Fills the need for a speedy O-minded D-man, could be the pick because of Michigan Ties and great "audition" for Blashill at Worlds.

Boqvist - Another speedy O-minded D-man, would also fill our need for that.  TSN says he is not at the same level as the 3 mentioned above, and does he really have concussion issues?  Still likely to be gone before #6 despite TSN and possible concussions, but if there, will Holland try to find another "Lidstrom?"

If we could snag Bokk at 30 or 31, that could very well be our perennial 30 goal scorer. Would be AWESOME!

Are there any sleepers in the 2nd you guys like? I still like M. Samuelsson and C. Addison, but what about O-guys? With pretty much the prospect rankings set for the draft, who would you guys love to see at 33 and 36?

Would love for our two 1st round picks to make the team this fall. Maybe Holland still packages Big Svech and AA to Carolina for a D-man.  Excitement is about to really pick up! 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly ALL four of the discussed D fit our team and would help it in many ways.

Bouchard - I think is the player that fills most if not all of what we need in a #1/#2 D.

Dobson - Also fills our need for a #1/#2 D, but being in the Q tends to exaggerate your stats a bit, but could still be the one we need!

Hughes - Fills the need for a speedy O-minded D-man, could be the pick because of Michigan Ties and great "audition" for Blashill at Worlds.

Boqvist - Another speedy O-minded D-man, would also fill our need for that.  TSN says he is not at the same level as the 3 mentioned above, and does he really have concussion issues?  Still likely to be gone before #6 despite TSN and possible concussions, but if there, will Holland try to find another "Lidstrom?"

If we could snag Bokk at 30 or 31, that could very well be our perennial 30 goal scorer. Would be AWESOME!

Are there any sleepers in the 2nd you guys like? I still like M. Samuelsson and C. Addison, but what about O-guys? With pretty much the prospect rankings set for the draft, who would you guys love to see at 33 and 36?

Would love for our two 1st round picks to make the team this fall. Maybe Holland still packages Big Svech and AA to Carolina for a D-man.  Excitement is about to really pick up! 

Svechnikov and AA?? That's too steep 

I know we need a d but I'm liking kotkaniemi , could be dynamite with Larkin as out future top 2 centers,  add mantha , Rasmussen to the wings in the top 6 and looks good,  but ya we need d and more I read about bouchard and how his stats might be inflated because they relied on him too much cause the team sucked?? I'm liking Dobson more and more 

As for with our later picks  I like Jakub lauko 

Also kirill marchenko , dellandrea,Berggren,Jenik,Hallander,drury,sokolov, and svejstrup and shafigullan as later picks for forwards 

For d .. Miller, docker ,Merkley,emberson,durzi,lundkvist,

Lindblom for goalie 

If we wanna move up nj picks 17 and then 110 

Si 21 and then 114 

Ottawa 22 then 95

Preds also dont pick till 89 so maybe if they Like someone we could push for fabbro 

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

My sleeper at 6 is Dobson. Just won the Memorial Cup, and he's from my stomping grounds. Slightly riskier pick but maybe a higher ceiling than Bouchard. 

I wouldn't call Dobson a sleeper. For months he's been right with Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist in the 2nd tier of defensemen. He's the most complete package of the four right now: size, speed, best defensively, solid offense. There's some question about his offensive potential in the NHL though.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

...  Excitement is about to really pick up! 

Translation: The fuse is lit. Prepare for the inevitable explosion.

2 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I wouldn't call Dobson a sleeper. For months he's been right with Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist in the 2nd tier of defensemen. He's the most complete package of the four right now: size, speed, best defensively, solid offense. There's some question about his offensive potential in the NHL though.

Personally, I agree. Just seems like I see names like  Bouchard and Hughes thrown around more frequently in the 6 spot. Whether it be mock drafts or from "diggers" like Ansar Yawn and Helen St. Lame. 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:12 AM, krsmith17 said:

@Dabura have you seen much of him in Flint or World Juniors to give an opinion? I've read pretty much every article / scouting report and watched every video on him, but have never seen him play live...

Never got to see him, sadly. :( Like you, I'm really intrigued by him. Seems like there should be more buzz around him than there is, yeah? Put up pretty good numbers for a 17-year-old 1C on a weak team. Decent size. Shoots right. I've read he's a tireless worker all over the ice (plays that 200-foot game) and he can be electric with the puck on his stick.

With that kind of profile, you'd expect him to be taken before 30th/31st overall. But maybe the lack of buzz in the media speaks to a lack of buzz among amateur scouts and their respective NHL organizations -- i.e. maybe he's available at 30th or 31st, or maybe even the top of the 2nd round.

I'd thought for sure Brandon Carlo would go in the 1st round (2015), but he ended up being selected 37th. Seems there's a Carlo or two or three every year...and this is an unusually deep draft.... (*fingers crossed for multiple sleeper gems falling to the Wings next month*)

On 5/27/2018 at 8:57 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

Here's a fun fact.

In the 2004 entry draft the first player selected by the Wings was Franzen. 3rd round. 97th overall. 

This year they'll pick 7 times before selection 97 and their 8th pick is at 98. 

How can you not be excited about that?

Edit: spelling

Right??

I think it was Holland who said this draft is, for the Wings, basically two drafts in one. I like that way of looking at it. I just hope he and his draft team don't take a single pick for granted.

So I was thinking.

What if the Wings are more-or-less equally fond of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom? What if they don't have their collective heart set on any one of them?

I mean, I'm sure they'll come to a general agreement on what their specific preferences are, but what I'm wondering is if they'd value getting their first or second preference more than they'd value the potential return they could get for trading back three or four or five spots.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Right??

I think it was Holland who said this draft is, for the Wings, basically two drafts in one. I like that way of looking at it. I just hope he and his draft team don't take a single pick for granted.

Holland had 11 picks last draft as well, and he has 10 next draft (before trades) so really 2018 is not any more than we've had or will have....so is it suffice to say that the starting last year and ending next year we have 6 drafts? :lol: 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

So I was thinking.

What if the Wings are more-or-less equally fond of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom? What if they don't have their collective heart set on any one of them?

I mean, I'm sure they'll come to a general agreement on what their specific preferences are, but what I'm wondering is if they'd value getting their first or second preference more than they'd value the potential return they could get for trading back three or four or five spots.

yes, lets say all of Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson and Wahlstrom are all available at #6, which they all should be, and someone like The Rags REALLY want one of them, the one that Vancouver wants, I'd trade the #6 for #9 and #26 for sure! I'd still be guaranteed one of them, plus I could probably land Bokk and M. Samuelsson for sure then!  Chicago also has two picks I'd trade them for if they wanted a player that they thought Vancouver was going to take, they have #8 and #27, I'd still be able to get my guys, If Vancouver wanted to play they'd have to throw in along with the #7, a nice young player like Boeser or Horvat! :lol: Gotta pay if you wanna play!

Edited by LeftWinger

23 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And position

Page 1: make piss poor argument to bash management

Page 2: ignore criticism

Page 3: freak out at draft/FA

Page 4: Profit?

12 hours ago, Dabura said:

Never got to see him, sadly. :( Like you, I'm really intrigued by him. Seems like there should be more buzz around him than there is, yeah? Put up pretty good numbers for a 17-year-old 1C on a weak team. Decent size. Shoots right. I've read he's a tireless worker all over the ice (plays that 200-foot game) and he can be electric with the puck on his stick.

With that kind of profile, you'd expect him to be taken before 30th/31st overall. But maybe the lack of buzz in the media speaks to a lack of buzz among amateur scouts and their respective NHL organizations -- i.e. maybe he's available at 30th or 31st, or maybe even the top of the 2nd round.

I'd thought for sure Brandon Carlo would go in the 1st round (2015), but he ended up being selected 37th. Seems there's a Carlo or two or three every year...and this is an unusually deep draft.... (*fingers crossed for multiple sleeper gems falling to the Wings next month*)

Yeah, I'm really high on Dellandrea and hope he falls to us in the 2nd round.

Yeah, Carlo dropped a bit that year. Timmins was that player for me last year. I was hoping he'd drop to us, but Colorado snagged him at 32.

12 hours ago, Dabura said:

Right??

Dream scenario...

6th - Bouchard

7th - Wahlstrom

31st - Bokk

33rd - Merkley

36th - Dellandrea

Likely scenario...

6th - Hughes

No way Vancouver trades us the 7th overall pick...

I doubt any of those players will be available in the 30's, let alone all three...

11 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Holland had 11 picks last draft as well, and he has 10 next draft (before trades) so really 2018 is not any more than we've had or will have....so is it suffice to say that the starting last year and ending next year we have 6 drafts? :lol: 

Yes. So is it suffice to say that Holland is doing a very good job trying to rebuild this team? If he and his scouts manage to hit on half of the picks he's built up in the first three rounds of these three drafts, this should be a fairly quick turnaround. Here's to hoping we made / make the right picks with these top picks (Rasmussen / 6th overall this year / lottery pick next year) and hit a couple home runs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Page 1: make piss poor argument to bash management

Page 2: ignore criticism

Page 3: freak out at draft/FA

Page 4: Profit?

Are you so mad I stopped responding to your trolling that you have to start quoting and answering yourself to support your own agenda a fabricated narrative? Sad dude, sad... ive told 900,000,000 times it's not about position, person, where they're from, who they are or Rybar AT ALL. Stop and Drop the trolling, it's what got #9 banned.

53 minutes ago, kickazz said:

You could have just said over 9000 times. That’s clearly the internet language. 

It's a running joke, I've used that number a number of times when describing things...its kind of my number right now! Maybe that will be my lottery win one day! Whoo-Hooo!

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Are you so mad I stopped responding to your trolling that you have to start quoting and answering yourself to support your own agenda a fabricated narrative? Sad dude, sad... ive told 900,000,000 times it's not about position, person, where they're from, who they are or Rybar AT ALL. Stop and Drop the trolling, it's what got #9 banned.

You post a nonsensical metaphor and declare signing Rybar scares you, but I'm the one trolling.

hmmmmmmm

22 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Good discussion point, but so think they NEED to take Bouchard or Dobson if one is available.  If they are both gone, I would strongly consider moving back for a greater return of picks.

22 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

yes, lets say all of Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson and Wahlstrom are all available at #6, which they all should be, and someone like The Rags REALLY want one of them, the one that Vancouver wants, I'd trade the #6 for #9 and #26 for sure! I'd still be guaranteed one of them, plus I could probably land Bokk and M. Samuelsson for sure then!  Chicago also has two picks I'd trade them for if they wanted a player that they thought Vancouver was going to take, they have #8 and #27, I'd still be able to get my guys, If Vancouver wanted to play they'd have to throw in along with the #7, a nice young player like Boeser or Horvat! :lol: Gotta pay if you wanna play!

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'm really high on Dellandrea and hope he falls to us in the 2nd round.

Yeah, Carlo dropped a bit that year. Timmins was that player for me last year. I was hoping he'd drop to us, but Colorado snagged him at 32.

Dream scenario...

6th - Bouchard

7th - Wahlstrom

31st - Bokk

33rd - Merkley

36th - Dellandrea

Likely scenario...

6th - Hughes

No way Vancouver trades us the 7th overall pick...

I doubt any of those players will be available in the 30's, let alone all three...

All good responses, some tasty food for thought.

I like @LeftWinger's idea of getting two of the Rangers' three 1sts, including #9. I guess for this kind of thing to work, it wouldn't be enough for the Wings to be "whatevz" about who they take with that first pick -- the trade partner would have to be of the opposite mentality, i.e. they feel [x player] is much more desirable than [other players] and they like him so much that they're willing to pay a price to get him. I dunno that any of the teams in the 7ish-10ish range will be That Team, but the Rangers did trade up in last year's draft to get Lias Andersson and paid a pretty steep price for the privilege. That doesn't necessarily have any bearing on this draft, but at the very least it's a precedent. I doubt we could get a Stepan-caliber player from any of the potential trade partners, but getting #9 + #26/28 and still being able to draft one of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson could be more than good enough. Maybe.

I also like Edmonton as a potential trade partner, if only because Chiarelli is Chiarelli. Klefbom, anyone? Yamamoto?

There's also the possibility that the Wings identify a player that they want very badly and Holland determines, via the magic of Working the Phones on the Draft Floor, that this player is going to be available at 9th or 10th or whatever.

Or there's the other possibility that the Wings identify a player that they want very badly and it's someone we wouldn't expect. We're all assuming the Wings are obsessing over the very same pool of names we're obsessing over, but maybe they're not.

13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

There's also the possibility that the Wings identify a player that they want very badly and Holland determines, via the magic of Working the Phones on the Draft Floor, that this player is going to be available at 9th or 10th or whatever.

Or there's the other possibility that the Wings identify a player that they want very badly and it's someone we wouldn't expect. We're all assuming the Wings are obsessing over the very same pool of names we're obsessing over, but maybe they're not.

there is probably a 900,00....nevermind I won't go that high! :lol:

...but there is probably a 90% chance that they are picking someone we have no idea of! Barely anyone saw Ras coming last draft, so it could be one of those days!