• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Karlsson on the move?

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Remember when everyone was demanding we get him?

Edit: Not everyone. Some of us said stay far, far away.

Yup - I for one was on the 'no thanks' side of that discussion.

SJ is gonna struggle to make the playoffs sooner than later, and GM Wilson has more than his fair share of older players with long term contracts for big $$$.

14 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Remember when everyone was demanding we get him?

Edit: Not everyone. Some of us said stay far, far away.

I was one of those ppl lol

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Yup - I for one was on the 'no thanks' side of that discussion.

SJ is gonna struggle to make the playoffs sooner than later, and GM Wilson has more than his fair share of older players with long term contracts for big $$$.

The schadenfreude of watching a team collapse is the only thing that sustains me when we're not winning. Last year Tampa getting swept in the 1st, CBJ going all in only to fail, lose half their team they traded for, and only get 2 fourth round picks and a 7th round pick in the 2019 draft, plus Ottawa being Ottawa, was almost too much to handle.

The Sharts will hopefully be a good collapse story this year. Like you say most of the team is tied up in long contracts, so they can't really rebuild, and they've already lost their 1st for the 2020 draft.

They have a long home stint coming up though. I figure their fate will most likely rest on these upcoming 12 or so home games. If they're still a good ways out of the playoff race come American thanksgiving they're most likely F'ed unless they fire Deboer and pull a miracle STL season like last year.

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I was one of those ppl lol

The schadenfreude of watching a team collapse is the only thing that sustains me when we're not winning. Last year Tampa getting swept in the 1st, CBJ going all in only to fail, lose half their team they traded for, and only get 2 fourth round picks and a 7th round pick in the 2019 draft, plus Ottawa being Ottawa, was almost too much to handle.

The Sharts will hopefully be a good collapse story this year. Like you say most of the team is tied up in long contracts, so they can't really rebuild, and they've already lost their 1st for the 2020 draft.

They have a long home stint coming up though. I figure their fate will most likely rest on these upcoming 12 or so home games. If they're still a good ways out of the playoff race come American thanksgiving they're most likely F'ed unless they fire Deboer and pull a miracle STL season like last year.

Truth be told I'm sorta pulling for 'Team Old Fart' aka SJ cuz I'm getting up there in age too...I never had any issue with Jumbo Joe - seems like a decent guy - wouldn't mind seeing him hoist the Cup, but me thinks those chances are very slim.

56 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Some of us said stay far, far away.

Yup. I knew whoever signed him would end up regretting it, I just didn't think it would be this soon. Granted, I doubt this is the end of elite Erik Karlsson. I'm sure he'll bounce back, but he'll never be close to worth that contract for the entirity of it.

10 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Truth be told I'm sorta pulling for 'Team Old Fart' aka SJ cuz I'm getting up there in age too...I never had any issue with Jumbo Joe - seems like a decent guy - wouldn't mind seeing him hoist the Cup, but me thinks those chances are very slim.

As of today 25.3% chance the Sharts make the playoffs. Less than 4% chance they win it all.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As of today 25.3% chance the Sharts make the playoffs. Less than 4% chance they win it all.

Ouch. If you told me after that trade that Jumbo would play 15 years in a Sharks uni and never win a cup, I would have said u were crazy...and yet, here we are.

Remember that time we traded the Sharks Gustav Nyquist and Doug Wilson absolutely swindled Ken Holland on the conditions?  That's the exact moment Ken Holland jumped the shark (no pun intended). 

Condition 1:  We get a 2nd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 if SJ makes the Cup finals.  Otherwise it's a 3rd in 2020.

Condition 2:  We get a 2nd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 if Nyquist re-signs with SJ.  Otherwise it's a 3rd in 2020. 

Why did Ken Holland get swindled?  San Jose had no cap space and Nyquist was hitting UFA for the first time in his career.  So he was never re-signing there.  SO, in order to get the 2nd in 2020 we had to A) Bet on SJ doing well in the playoffs (ahahahahahaha) or, B) get a worse pick (basically a 3rd rounder) in 2019. 

Ouch.

Edited by kipwinger

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Remember that time we traded the Sharks Gustav Nyquist and Doug Wilson absolutely swindled Ken Holland on the conditions?  That's the exact moment Ken Holland jumped the shark (no pun intended). 

Condition 1:  We get a 2nd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 if SJ makes the Cup finals.  Otherwise it's a 3rd in 2020.

Condition 2:  We get a 2nd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 if Nyquist re-signs with SJ.  Otherwise it's a 3rd in 2020. 

Why did Ken Holland get swindled?  San Jose had no cap space and Nyquist was hitting UFA for the first time in his career.  So he was never re-signing there.  SO, in order to get the 2nd in 2020 we had to A) Bet on SJ doing well in the playoffs (ahahahahahaha) or, B) get a worse pick (basically a 3rd rounder) in 2019. 

Ouch.

Didn't they and Goose kinda hold cards thou? NTC or something

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Didn't they and Goose kinda hold cards thou? NTC or something

Holland said after the fact that the NTC never factored into any potential returns. 

But that's sorta beside the point.  If you were getting basically a 3rd and a 2nd no matter what you do, just take a 3rd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 when they were sure to be worse.  Instead we got a 2nd in the year they were reasonably good and a 3rd in a year they're pretty terrible.  All of which could have been deduced with information available on trade day.

9 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Holland said after the fact that the NTC never factored into any potential returns. 

But that's sorta beside the point.  If you were getting basically a 3rd and a 2nd no matter what you do, just take a 3rd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 when they were sure to be worse.  Instead we got a 2nd in the year they were reasonably good and a 3rd in a year they're pretty terrible.  All of which could have been deduced with information available on trade day.

Do you have a quote on this? I don't remember this at all.

I do remember there was a photo of Karlsson and Kronwall and Gus all meeting between lockerrooms or something to convince Gus to waive his NTC to the Sharks.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Do you have a quote on this? I don't remember this at all.

I do remember there was a photo of Karlsson and Kronwall and Gus all meeting between lockerrooms or something to convince Gus to waive his NTC to the Sharks.

This isn't the one I'm thinking of, but it'll work.

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Nyquist got a raise of only $750K to go to Columbus for 4 years. A terrible joke city that's never gonna win a cup.

IDK if I should feel good that the loser is gone, or if I should feel bad that this is the best FA Red Wings have produced in a long time.

I would rather have Nyquist then any of Filppula, Erne, or Perlini.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I would rather have Nyquist then any of Filppula, Erne, or Perlini.

Yeah - I’m beginning to think that too.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

at 5.5M x 4? 

vs 3 x 2, 1 x 1, 0.8 x 1 respectively? 

Thankfully, Yzerman disagrees with you. 

Columbus was bound to overpay someone considering what they lost this past summer.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

at 5.5M x 4? 

vs 3 x 2, 1 x 1, 0.8 x 1 respectively? 

Thankfully, Yzerman disagrees with you. 

Assuming he might have signed for less to come back to Detroit and the other 3 weren't signed or acquired at all, then yes. Cap is not an issue, salary hit would be relatively equal, and there would be 2 more open spots for Svech and Moose.