• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

Karlsson on the move?

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

@krsmith17: You really want to rebuild like, let's say, the Sixers? Or the Oilers? Miss the playoffs for 4-5 years?

That should always be your last option, you only do that if you couldnt find a better way in the meantime. Like, trade for your franchise 1 D and sign your 1 C at the same time. IF that is possible, do it.

The Oilers are an extreme example, and no I don't want to "rebuild like the Oilers"... I never said anything about missing the playoffs next year, let alone 4-5 years... The best way to build this team up again, is a combination of high draft picks, savvy trades, and free agent signings. You don't put all your eggs in the Erik Karlsson basket. I wouldn't do it, and fortunately for me (us) Ken Holland wouldn't either.

Holland will play it smart, continue to draft and develop (his biggest strength), and make a hard push for Karlsson in free agency when (if) he hits in a year and a half.

Well, if we don't improve significantly, we'll miss again next year, making it 3 years out. And who guarantess we hit on that free agent? Have we, recently? I don't think so. Trading for and extending one big time player might be what we need to get another. And then you could build around them. The Sens idiocy might be the best that could happen (ok, many other teams will think exactly the same).

Would it cost a hefty price? For sure it will. But I think it would be worth it. Two cornerstones who are 27 right now (yes, Karlsson doesnt guarantee getting Tavares, I know that), where else do you get those? Develop them yourself? That'll take even more years to get our talent to that level.

Think about this, we get him for a modest ransom, at the draft, he is under contract for a year, if for some reason the GM doesn't get a good feeling of being able to re-sign him, imagine the return WE'D get come TDL 2019 for Erik Karlsson!

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I would say that you weren't that far off.

I still had two 1sts, but to sweetin in up one of them was this years from Vegas and the other was 2020. I still think we'll be a lottery team in 2019, so I don't want to miss out on a chance at Hughes....

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

... 2020 1st could still be a lottery for us, plus the 20-31st pick this year is a very good pick in a deep draft. Cholowski is a 1st round pick, plus he is considered a top prospect, the 3rd and 4th extras.  The sticking point is the roster player, I am sure Nyquist would not waive to got to Ottawa, but there is nobody else they'd want or I'd offer along with 2 great 1st round picks.

I don't necessarily disagree that we could still be a lottery team after adding Karlsson, or even Karlsson and Tavares. Question is if you think we could be as well, exactly why do you want to pay such a hefty price for Karlsson plus saddle us with two huge contracts for players likely nearing the end of (or already past) their scoring prime? 

No way I consider trading for Karlsson unless I thought he would instantly turn us into at least a fringe contender.