• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Which Goalie Will Have The Better Season?

Rate this topic

Goalie Poll  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

appreciated x 1000

Appreciated for what exactly? His appreciatabilitiness? That's not even a word. So please explain exactly what it is we're supposed to be appreciating. Seems like you're talking about his play, based on the "continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by" and "continually beats out his rival backup" but apparently that's not it. (And since those comments aren't even true, I guess you should have some other reason....) 

5 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Appreciated for what exactly? His appreciatabilitiness? That's not even a word. So please explain exactly what it is we're supposed to be appreciating. Seems like you're talking about his play, based on the "continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by" and "continually beats out his rival backup" but apparently that's not it. (And since those comments aren't even true, I guess you should have some other reason....) 

Bruh, I literally just reposted my original posts for you and broke them down by paragraph for you... and your gonna make me post them again? You need to scroll back up or return to an earlier page if you forget what I wrote, I'm not gonna repost them every time for you, sorry.

Here ya go:

On 10/28/2018 at 9:27 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This is exactly why I vouch for Howard.

Young Mrazek hits the scene, and the immediate reaction of this fan-base is to completely throw Howard under the bus. But what do you know, Mrazek turns out to be a complete bust... did the fan-base learn their lesson? No, the moment we sign Bernier, everyone upvotes Bernier, the guy who failed to keep a job with the Leafs, Kings, Ducks, or Avs, as the next starting goaltender. Now Benier sucks too, but will this lead to anyone actually appreciating Howard? Doubtful.

It's s shame in my book. Jimmy has been a career Red Wing, gets little to no appreciation for his service, continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by, Yet NO ONE recognizes him for that.

I'd easily say Howard is average, but I'd also easily say he's the most unappreciated Wing.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Howard could be well above average, and this fanbase will still root for the guy behind him.

Not gonna dissect this one down for you like I did the last one. I trust you'll figure it out. It's a lot of work having to breakdown the same point I already made in a new way for someone every time. I suggest just referring back to these posts if you need clarification.

Anything you have issue with, I'm sure you'll let me know. Good luck.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

appreciated x 1000 again

Appreciated for what exactly?

I can repeat myself too. But it's dinner time, so if you're going to keep this up, do me a favor and just pretend I keep doing it, at least until you think of an answer that isn't stupid. Thanks. You're a peach.

45 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Appreciated for what exactly?

I can repeat myself too. But it's dinner time, so if you're going to keep this up, do me a favor and just pretend I keep doing it, at least until you think of an answer that isn't stupid. Thanks. You're a peach.

Let's recap shall we:

I post about Howard being unappreciated going into a fair amount of detail about it.

You start quibbling about  "performance" 

I explain I am speaking about the lack of appreciation for him, not "performance"

You ask me what he should be appreciated for

I cite my original post where I've already commented on that

You ask me what he should be appreciated for... (this is where we are now)

Did you not read my original post? Are you too stubborn to go back and read it now? I know you're a smart guy, but this is low energy for you. If you'd like to discuss Howard I'm all ears my dude, but it's a waste of your time and mine to play games like this. I think my original post is more than sufficient at explaining why I think Howard should be appreciated and why I think he's underappreciated by the fanbase. If you disagree with that please feel free to quote the post and show where I didn't explain enough or why I'm totally stupid in my notion. If you do that perhaps I can expand on my thoughts and explain better and the discussion can continue. If you're not willing to do this, I guess the discussion ends here. I'm not going to say anything different than what I've already said, unless you can provide me feedback about what I failed to explain to you properly.

Appreciate your efforts, enjoy your din din

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

4 hours ago, Buppy said:

Obviously, he is referring to his charm. Get with it!

On 11/13/2018 at 2:05 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The legend of "Petr 'I can't get my save percentage above 90' Mrazek" lives on in Carolina

Guarantee there's still at least one Red Wing fan out there that would still vote for him as the next golden god of goaltending

Lulz

OK, i'll stick up for him, kinda. His GAA is 2.76, give him a break. He's injured anyways. lol But curiously, his best game numbers wise this season was against the Wings. It's a shame he didn't turn out to be what he looked like he was going to be for Detroit, but he's keeping an NHL job. So far...

But he's not in Detroit anymore, so it doesn't really matter what he does.

2 hours ago, chaps80 said:

OK, i'll stick up for him, kinda. His GAA is 2.76, give him a break. He's injured anyways. lol But curiously, his best game numbers wise this season was against the Wings. It's a shame he didn't turn out to be what he looked like he was going to be for Detroit, but he's keeping an NHL job. So far...

But he's not in Detroit anymore, so it doesn't really matter what he does.

It's amazing the progress you've made. From Petr is a golden god to at least he still has a job. Beautiful.

On 11/17/2018 at 3:52 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It's amazing the progress you've made. From Petr is a golden god to at least he still has a job. Beautiful.

When he was on his game, he was a top NHL goalie. But he didn't work hard enough. Always said that was his biggest issue, it wasn't lack of talent. Moving Mrazek and signing Bernier is pretty much a wash in salary and ability when you break it down. Holland was done with him in regards to his work ethic and his attitude, and I think Mrazek wanted out too. He should be around the league for awhile if he doesn't slack off.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, chaps80 said:

When he was on his game, he was a top NHL goalie. But he didn't work hard enough. Always said that was his biggest issue, it wasn't lack of talent. Moving Mrazek and signing Bernier is pretty much a wash in salary and ability when you break it down. Holland was done with him in regards to his work ethic and his attitude, and I think Mrazek wanted out too. He should be around the league for awhile if he doesn't slack off.

He sure is "not on his game" a whole lot these days.

I seriously doubt he remains in the league much longer. He was an awarded a prove it contract by Carolina, and he's already flunking that. Now he's 3rd string goalie behind Darling and McE. After this season there will not be a team willing to take another flyer on him.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I seriously doubt he remains in the league much longer. He was an awarded a prove it contract by Carolina, and he's already flunking that. Now he's 3rd string goalie behind Darling and McE. After this season there will not be a team willing to take another flyer on him.

He's not the third string. He was backup on Saturday after he was cleared to return from injury, and he's backing up tonight. McIlhenney has taken the starters job. Darling looks like the odd man out, or would be if they could waive him, especially after Saturday's start:

"Sadly, even the most positive of Carolina Hurricanes fans are now struggling to defend Scott Darling. After a decent return to the team, in which his save percentage was above the league average after his first five games of the season, recent performances have been – at best – turgid, and have seen his stats take a tumble commensurate with his play. He now sits with a save percentage of just .892% and with a GAA of 3.14, which is significantly worse than the GAAs of McElhinney (an excellent 2.25) and Petr Mrazek (2.75). Darling’s only saving grace is that Mrazek’s save percentage is even worse than his own (.880%), and that his contract pretty much precludes him being waived and sent to Charlotte. One thing is for certain though: Scott Darling needs to improve, and quickly, else this situation is going to turn sour very soon."

Edited by chaps80

13 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

He's not the third string. He was backup on Saturday after he was cleared to return from injury, and he's backing up tonight. McIlhenney has taken the starters job. Darling looks like the odd man out, or would be if they could waive him, especially after Saturday's start:

"Sadly, even the most positive of Carolina Hurricanes fans are now struggling to defend Scott Darling. After a decent return to the team, in which his save percentage was above the league average after his first five games of the season, recent performances have been – at best – turgid, and have seen his stats take a tumble commensurate with his play. He now sits with a save percentage of just .892% and with a GAA of 3.14, which is significantly worse than the GAAs of McElhinney (an excellent 2.25) and Petr Mrazek (2.75). Darling’s only saving grace is that Mrazek’s save percentage is even worse than his own (.880%), and that his contract pretty much precludes him being waived and sent to Charlotte. One thing is for certain though: Scott Darling needs to improve, and quickly, else this situation is going to turn sour very soon."

Letting him sit on the bench to rest the starter doesn't make him THE backup goalie. Your quote there suggests exactly why Mrazek is the odd man out over Darling, and not the other way around. Mrazek has worse SV% and Darling's contract precludes him from the waiver wire.

Darling sucking doesn't make Mrazek's sucking ok. They both suck. Unfortunately for Mrazek his contract expires at the end of this year and Darling's doesn't.

Btw I show Darling backing up McE tonight.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

HC Vítkovice Ridera
Ice hockey team
Image result for Vítkovice Ridera

6 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:
HC Vítkovice Ridera
Ice hockey team
Image result for Vítkovice Ridera

No dude, Mrazek rules. The reasons he's not performing is:

A. Babcock ruined him like he ruined Jurco
B. Holland ruined him by not trading Howard
C. He's not ruined, he's actually super talented, just isn't being utilized properly.
D. He isn't actually very good

The actual answer will shock you.

18 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Letting him sit on the bench to rest the starter doesn't make him THE backup goalie. Your quote there suggests exactly why Mrazek is the odd man out over Darling, and not the other way around. Mrazek has worse SV% and Darling's contract precludes him from the waiver wire.

Darling sucking doesn't make Mrazek's sucking ok. They both suck. Unfortunately for Mrazek his contract expires at the end of this year and Darling's doesn't.

Btw I show Darling backing up McE tonight.

Worse save percentage but much better GAA. The team is happy with Curt Mac as starter, so i've read, which makes absolute sense since he's their top guy numbers wise right now: 7-2-0, 2.12 GAA, .930 sv%, and he just bolstered that with stopping 48 of 49 shots last night. He also makes only $850k a season. Might be the best waiver wire steal in quite awhile.

Darling could have backed up last night, but he was indeed a healthy scratch according to NHL.com. Darling is 2-4-1 with a 3.14 GAA, .892 sv%. Mrazek is 3-3-2 with a 2.76 GAA and .880 sv%. So ya, they could go in any direction, but Darling was horrible for them last year, and he's horrible again this year. Probably getting fed up with him. Mrazek has a much cheaper cap hit at $1.5 million, and has played somewhat better. Curt Mac and Mrazek would be a solid cheap tandem. Just over $2 million for two goalies. We'll see what happens. If they can't move or waive Darling, they might just keep carrying three goalies. If Mrazek gets waived, so be it.

You absolutely despise Mrazek eh? 

37 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Worse save percentage but much better GAA. The team is happy with Curt Mac as starter, so i've read, which makes absolute sense since he's their top guy numbers wise right now: 7-2-0, 2.12 GAA, .930 sv%, and he just bolstered that with stopping 48 of 49 shots last night. He also makes only $850k a season. Might be the best waiver wire steal in quite awhile.

Darling could have backed up last night, but he was indeed a healthy scratch according to NHL.com. Darling is 2-4-1 with a 3.14 GAA, .892 sv%. Mrazek is 3-3-2 with a 2.76 GAA and .880 sv%. So ya, they could go in any direction, but Darling was horrible for them last year, and he's horrible again this year. Probably getting fed up with him. Mrazek has a much cheaper cap hit at $1.5 million, and has played somewhat better. Curt Mac and Mrazek would be a solid cheap tandem. Just over $2 million for two goalies. We'll see what happens. If they can't move or waive Darling, they might just keep carrying three goalies. If Mrazek gets waived, so be it.

You absolutely despise Mrazek eh? 

Nah, I don't despise Mrazek. I despise the fan boy cult this teams fanbase built around him that you continue to espouse... because he's not that good. In fact he's bad.

What do you think is a better indicator of performance... GAA? Or SV%?

Darling is bad. Mrazek is bad. The Carolina fanbase would rather have Darling over Mrazek because of caphit and term, but that's also exactly why Mrazek will get the boot first. Darling's cap hit and term make him basically impossible to move. As the article you quoted already indicated...

Why would Carolina re-sign a bad 2nd/3rd string goalie? They won't. They're going to move on from both Darling and Mrazek as soon as they can.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Nah, I don't despise Mrazek. I despise the fan boy cult this teams fanbase built around him that you continue to espouse... because he's not that good. In fact he's bad.

What do you think is a better indicator of performance... GAA? Or SV%?

Darling is bad. Mrazek is bad. The Carolina fanbase would rather have Darling over Mrazek because of caphit and term, but that's also exactly why Mrazek will get the boot first. Darling's cap hit and term make him basically impossible to move. As the article you quoted already indicated...

Why would Carolina re-sign a bad 2nd/3rd string goalie? They won't. They're going to move on from both Darling and Mrazek as soon as they can.

Least you don't despise him. I don't care what he does anymore now that he's not a Wing. It's irrelevant rather he sinks or swims, but if he can stay in the league, good for him. I still hope he succeeds. You keep bringing him up when talking about Howard, or just cause you feel like it, which gets the convo going again. Darling's contract is a problem, and if they don't want three goalies on the roster, Mrazek might be waived. Not sure if he would clear at $1.5 million cap hit and being a UFA at season's end though. Arizona has Kuemper on IR and Raanta day to day. They could have interest in him. Luongo is a constant question mark in Florida too. Philly has constant goalie problems as usual with Elliott and Neuvirth on IR and Pickard playing horribly, but he won't be going back there. We'll see how it plays out...

26 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Least you don't despise him. I don't care what he does anymore now that he's not a Wing. It's irrelevant rather he sinks or swims, but if he can stay in the league, good for him. I still hope he succeeds. You keep bringing him up when talking about Howard, or just cause you feel like it, which gets the convo going again. Darling's contract is a problem, and if they don't want three goalies on the roster, Mrazek might be waived. Not sure if he would clear at $1.5 million cap hit and being a UFA at season's end though. Arizona has Kuemper on IR and Raanta day to day. They could have interest in him. Luongo is a constant question mark in Florida too. Philly has constant goalie problems as usual with Elliott and Neuvirth on IR and Pickard playing horribly, but he won't be going back there. We'll see how it plays out...

You say you don't care and he's irrelevant... then the very next sentence say you hope he succeeds... And then proceed to list a bunch teams with goalie situations where he could potentially find a home.

He stunk his last few years in Detroit.
Philly took a flyer on him at the deadline bc they were in desperation mode. He stunk for them.
Carolina took a flyer on him in UFA. He still stinks.

If his season continues as is, he'll absolutely be out of the NHL next year. What happens with Darling will not effect Mrazek's situation. Petr needed to prove he's NHL capable yesterday. 

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You say you don't care and he's irrelevant... then the very next sentence say you hope he succeeds... And then proceed to list a bunch teams with goalie situations where he could potentially find a home.

He stunk his last few years in Detroit.
Philly took a flyer on him at the deadline bc they were in desperation mode. He stunk for them.
Carolina took a flyer on him in UFA. He still stinks.

If his season continues as is, he'll absolutely be out of the NHL next year. What happens with Darling will not effect Mrazek's situation. Petr needed to prove he's NHL capable yesterday. 

It is irrelevant. If he brings on his own demise, so be it. I can still hope he succeeds, but it's not a huge deal if he doesn't. He could very well find a home with the teams i listed if he is exposed to waivers. He hasn't played enough this season in Carolina to judge him yet. Started 8 games, sitting at 3-3-2. Was injured for a month, hasn't played since November 2nd. Of course what happens with Darling will effect his situation. McElhinney is the only one that's safe right now. Mrazek has backed him up the past two games and is due to start soon. Darling is in trouble. He was supposed to be the No 1 they needed after parting ways with Ward. He hasn't lived up to it, to put it mildly. He's now the 3rd string goalie, and the only reason he will stay in Carolina is because of his contract. A decision will have to made soon, so let's see what happens then.

6 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

It is irrelevant. If he brings on his own demise, so be it. I can still hope he succeeds, but it's not a huge deal if he doesn't. He could very well find a home with the teams i listed if he is exposed to waivers. He hasn't played enough this season in Carolina to judge him yet. Started 8 games, sitting at 3-3-2. Was injured for a month, hasn't played since November 2nd. Of course what happens with Darling will effect his situation. McElhinney is the only one that's safe right now. Mrazek has backed him up the past two games and is due to start soon. Darling is in trouble. He was supposed to be the No 1 they needed after parting ways with Ward. He hasn't lived up to it, to put it mildly. He's now the 3rd string goalie, and the only reason he will stay in Carolina is because of his contract. A decision will have to made soon, so let's see what happens then.

No it won't. Lets assume the season plays out exactly as it has so far... Carolina will be releasing Mrazek regardless of whether they buy out Darling or not.

It's not like they are gonna buy out one bad goalie only to re-sign another bad goalie. Bad players get cut. That's a pretty easy concept.

If Petr wants to continue his NHL career he's going to need to seriously up his game. I do not agree that someone would take him on waivers right now.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No it won't. Lets assume the season plays out exactly as it has so far... Carolina will be releasing Mrazek regardless of whether they buy out Darling or not.

It's not like they are gonna buy out one bad goalie only to re-sign another bad goalie. Bad players get cut. That's a pretty easy concept.

If Petr wants to continue his NHL career he's going to need to seriously up his game. I do not agree that someone would take him on waivers right now.

I wasn't saying Carolina was planning to re-sign Mrazek after this season. But if he was to play well enough in a backup role he may have gotten another year. That was probably the plan heading into the season, but Darling and Mrazek both going down with injuries forced them into picking up McElhinney, who is turning out to be a steal. Now there's a problem. Darling being unmoveable and McEllinney having taken the starters job may force Mrazek out, even though it seems like that's not the one they want to let go. They don't seem to be planning on keeping three goalies on the NHL roster. Like i said, we'll see. Hard to up your game when you've barely played. He might get taken on waivers, or he clears and goes to Charlotte. That could be a good thing for him as well, he'll get a lot more playing time, and can work on his game. 

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

I wasn't saying Carolina was planning to re-sign Mrazek after this season. But if he was to play well enough in a backup role he may have gotten another year. That was probably the plan heading into the season, but Darling and Mrazek both going down with injuries forced them into picking up McElhinney, who is turning out to be a steal. Now there's a problem. Darling being unmoveable and McEllinney having taken the starters job may force Mrazek out, even though it seems like that's not the one they want to let go. They don't seem to be planning on keeping three goalies on the NHL roster. Like i said, we'll see. Hard to up your game when you've barely played. He might get taken on waivers, or he clears and goes to Charlotte. That could be a good thing for him as well, he'll get a lot more playing time, and can work on his game. 

First bold: You are being ridiculous. They want to let both Darling AND Mrazek go.

Second bold: You used the same excuse for Mraz when he was with Detroit. Dude has sucked whether you give him minutes or not. I don't understand how you are not seeing that.