• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It doesnt matter who we take at 6. If it was someone ranked higher than 6, he's a bust.

Yuck it up...  but I stand by my assessment.

Depending on what's there at 6, this would be a year to trade back. 

Unlike last year with many attractive options and the player we ultimately drafted.... this year the cream of the crop will be gone by 6.  I'd be open to trading back and grabbing an extra couple of 2nds.  I think the player you get at 10-15 has every chance to be as good or better than the player at 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sadly, I have him penciled in at 3

But then again, I had Zadina penciled in at 3 too

You had Zadina penciled in at 3, but yet you think he's going to be a bust? :eh:

Most had Zadina penciled in at 3, but I said this time last year, when there was all that talk about trading up for Zadina, that we should stay put because there's a real possibility that he could slip to 6. This year, there's absolutely no way Byram slips out of the top 5. The last time a defenseman was not picked in the top 5, was 2003. That's not going to change this year. One of Chicago, Colorado or Los Angeles will pick him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You had Zadina penciled in at 3, but yet you think he's going to be a bust? :eh:

Most had Zadina penciled in at 3, but I said this time last year, when there was all that talk about trading up for Zadina, that we should stay put because there's a real possibility that he could slip to 6. This year, there's absolutely no way Byram slips out of the top 5. The last time a defenseman was not picked in the top 5, was 2003. That's not going to change this year. One of Chicago, Colorado or Los Angeles will pick him.

I think Zadina will be about as good as Tatar or Nyquist was. Contributor, but not someone you build a team around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think Zadina will be about as good as Tatar or Nyquist was. Contributor, but not someone you build a team around.

Does that constitute a bust though? How many wingers in the league can you legitimately say you can build a team around? I'd say Tatar is Zadina's floor, but his ceiling is MUCH higher than that in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You have just described his floor. 

So his basement is what Evgeny Svechnikov? And his ceiling is like Nikita Kucherov?

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Does that constitute a bust though? How many wingers in the league can you legitimately say you can build a team around? I'd say Tatar is Zadina's floor, but his ceiling is MUCH higher than that in my opinion.

I think it's a joy when 2nd rounders and 4th rounders become contributors like Tatar and Nyquist are. I think it will be a disappointment if a guy taken at 6th overall, who was ranked top 3 in his draft, only ever amounts to Tatar or Nyquist level. Might as well have just kept Tatar and/or Nyquist at that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think it's a joy when 2nd rounders and 4th rounders become contributors like Tatar and Nyquist are. I think it will be a disappointment if a guy taken at 6th overall, who was ranked top 3 in his draft, only ever amounts to Tatar or Nyquist level. Might as well have just kept Tatar and/or Nyquist at that point. 

Disappointment? Sure. Bust? No.

In my opinion, Zadina's floor is a Tatar or Nyquist (40-50 points), his ceiling is a Kucherov or Patrnak (80+ points), but it's probably most likely that he ends up somewhere in between, like a Forsberg or Ehlers (60-70 points). Maybe not a player you build around, but a legit top line winger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Disappointment? Sure. Bust? No.

In my opinion, Zadina's floor is a Tatar or Nyquist (40-50 points), his ceiling is a Kucherov or Patrnak (80+ points), but it's probably most likely that he ends up somewhere in between, like a Forsberg or Ehlers (60-70 points). Maybe not a player you build around, but a legit top line winger.

Meh I use the terms bust loosely, sue me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So his basement is what Evgeny Svechnikov? And his ceiling is like Nikita Kucherov?

I think it's a joy when 2nd rounders and 4th rounders become contributors like Tatar and Nyquist are. I think it will be a disappointment if a guy taken at 6th overall, who was ranked top 3 in his draft, only ever amounts to Tatar or Nyquist level. Might as well have just kept Tatar and/or Nyquist at that point. 

There's no basement. Just floor and ceiling. Even if everything goes wrong for Zadina, he'll still be as good as those two guys. 

People like to use a player's floor as a way to exercise their own mastery of hyperbole (not U specifically) Calling Zadina a "bust" for only being as good as Tatar and Nyquist. 

I've said it before, I get less hung up with where players are drafted vs their eventual floor/ceiling then most. When I go fishing I don't come home cursing about one spot where I caught nothing and raving about another spot where I caught a bunch of fish. I just look in my boat, and if I see fish, I'm happy. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Meh I use the terms bust loosely, sue me

Yakupov = bust
Galchenyuk = disappointment

Zadina will develop into a top 6 winger. Whether he's a half a point per game winger or a point per game winger is yet to be determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

There's no basement. Just floor and ceiling. Even if everything goes wrong for Zadina, he'll still be as good as those two guys. 

People like to use a players floor as a way to exercise their own mastery of hyperbole (not U specifically) Calling Zadina a "bust" for only being as good as Tatar and Nyquist. 

I've said it before, I get less hung up with where players drafted vs eventual floor/ceiling then most. When I go fishing I don't come home cursing about one spot where I caught nothing and another spot where I caught a bunch of fish. I just look in my boat, and if I see a lot of fish, I'm happy. 

Yeah but I don't want a boat full of 12 inch brook trout. I want a boat with one or two 30 inch steelheads. Which is why I'll be disappointed if Zadina is a brook trout.

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yakupov = bust
Galchenyuk = disappointment

Zadina will develop into a top 6 winger. Whether he's a half a point per game winger or a point per game winger is yet to be determined.

If Zadina is Galchenyuk we should sell him sooner than Montreal sold Chucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

If Zadina is Galchenyuk we should sell him sooner than Montreal sold Chucky

I'll get behind that for sure, but again, that's unlikely in my opinion. I think he'll be a 60+ point winger. If for whatever reason, he does end up being a 40-50 point winger, Yzerman will trade him straight up for a 70+ point winger (Galchenyuk for Domi).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'll get behind that for sure, but again, that's unlikely in my opinion. I think he'll be a 60+ point winger. If for whatever reason, he does end up being a 40-50 point winger, Yzerman will trade him straight up for a 70+ point winger (Galchenyuk for Domi).

You touched on a good point and one area where I'm more confident in Yzerman than Holland. His ability to GTFO prospects that aren't cutting it for whatever reason (see: Connoly, Drouin). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I was fishing for marlin

Do we need to send Holland down to Florida again to get you out of there too?

46 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You touched on a good point and one area where I'm more confident in Yzerman than Holland. His ability to GTFO prospects that aren't cutting it for whatever reason (see: Connoly, Drouin). 

Hopefully when Zadina gets outscored by Wade Megan and Matt Pimple in the AHL again Stevie can flip him for a young Russian Dman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hopefully when Zadina gets outscored by Wade Megan and Matt Pimple in the AHL again Stevie can flip him for a young Russian Dman

Yup, that's a pretty safe bet, considering Megan and Puempel will play 60+ games in the AHL, while Zadina will play <40...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Disappointment? Sure. Bust? No.

In my opinion, Zadina's floor is a Tatar or Nyquist (40-50 points), his ceiling is a Kucherov or Patrnak (80+ points), but it's probably most likely that he ends up somewhere in between, like a Forsberg or Ehlers (60-70 points). Maybe not a player you build around, but a legit top line winger.

Semantics.  Hype > Zagina

Edited by mackel
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You had Zadina penciled in at 3, but yet you think he's going to be a bust? :eh:

Most had Zadina penciled in at 3, but I said this time last year, when there was all that talk about trading up for Zadina, that we should stay put because there's a real possibility that he could slip to 6. This year, there's absolutely no way Byram slips out of the top 5. The last time a defenseman was not picked in the top 5, was 2003. That's not going to change this year. One of Chicago, Colorado or Los Angeles will pick him.

If he isn't taken at 4 or 5 maybe we should trade up ? If the Avs and Kings want to that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I was fishing for marlin

If you were fishing for marlin and caught brook trout and steelheads, then I can explain to u why u didn't catch any marlin. Hint: salinity.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I love Z-pinch.  He's going to get 35 pts with the Wings next year.

Would u decide on a nickname already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now