• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

On 11/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, HoweFan said:

I really hope Byfield stays close to Lafreniere in the rankings. If we get the first pick I would like a centre instead of a winger. I realize we need help everywhere but an elite pivot is critical. Maybe we’ll get the second pick and I won’t be in a quandary. 

Major props to Byfield for making things interesting. I know it's still early days, but it sure is looking like he's the only one who's capable of overtaking Lafreniere. I don't know if he'll go 1st overall (again, early days), and I don't know if I'd want Yzerman to take him 1st overall. We'll see. If he does go 1st overall, I think age will have been a factor; Lafreniere is ten months older. (In fact, Lafreniere missed being eligible for the 2019 draft by a month.)

On 11/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, mackel said:

At this rate the SENS could have the 1st and 2nd overall pick and we pick 3+.  That's assuming the Sharks are awful and the lottery really rigged. (Which it is) lol

If that happens I think I'll be selling my NHL fan card.

Here's the thing tho: Would they really rig it like that for *the Ottawa Senators*, of all organizations?

...Actually, on second thought, don't answer that.

Bump, cuz we suck.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I've been struggling to get eyeballs on those top Euros. Streams aren't as reliable this year and other avenues aren't giving me much.

Lucas Raymond -- who many people would tell you is #2 right now and has the potential to be the best NHLer this draft producers -- isn't getting a whole lot of playing time with his SHL team. This annoys me. I want to be able to convince myself that Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond = three 1OA-caliber players. I hope he gets more playing time and goes on a tear.

Edited by Dabura

43 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Bump, cuz we suck.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I've been struggling to get eyeballs on those top Euros. Streams aren't as reliable this year and other avenues aren't giving me much.

Lucas Raymond -- who many people would tell you is #2 right now and has the potential to be the best NHLer this draft producers -- isn't getting a whole lot of playing time with his SHL team. This annoys me. I want to be able to convince myself that Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond = three 1OA-caliber players. I hope he gets more playing time and goes on a tear.

I bought an EA NHL console game for the first time in many years this year. I drafted Raymond 5th overall first season and he immediately made my team and played on the 3rd line. Kids reel gud and RH

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I bought an EA NHL console game for the first time in many years this year. I drafted Raymond 5th overall first season and he immediately made my team and played on the 3rd line. Kids reel gud and RH

Y'know who likes small RH two-way scoring forwards?

steve-yzerman.jpg

Button Is here to eff up your napkin rosters

You guys think we're going to take Holtz or Raymond in the top 5? 

Hahahahahah think again. They're no longer in the top 5. 

I fully expect someone like Connor Zary or Jamie Drysdale to go #2 overall come June. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:48 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm not sure this is an effective analytical tool.

47 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What's the story with Lucas Raymond?

Been wondering how he's Swedish but has an Anglo name, and not Lucrik Raymondlund or something

Plays for Frölunda(Gothenburg) so prolly a west coast boy. Much of mutty anglo blood have poluted the proud scando genes there. Many such cases. Sad.

Edited by Akakabuto

A good piece on Lafreniere:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/world-juniors-2020-canada-rimouski-forward-alexis-lafreniere-putting-up-impressive-numbers-in-pre-draft-year/a0lvmqqw85901dcr681pfw0s4

So, how good are Lafreniere’s QMJHL numbers, really? After recording an impressive 1.72 points-per-game average last year, and bumping that up to a mind-numbing 2.19 through Dec. 15, he is on pace to join Crosby (2003, 2004) as the only two QMJHLer’s in the last 22 years to eclipse the 1.70 mark in consecutive pre-draft seasons. Additionally, his current 2.19 average would be the second-highest of any QMJHL draft prospect since 1996. In other words: Lafreniere has been the QMJHL’s most dominant pre-draft player not named Sidney Crosby in well over 20 years. He's also accomplishing the feat when scoring in the Quebec League is nearly a full goal less per game now (6.88) than it was in 2000 (7.81). Of course, goal-scoring in “The Q” is slowly trending upwards from its low point in the mid-2000s but Lafreniere is single-handily out-pacing by a wide margin almost two decades worth of draft-eligible alumni.

Lafreniere’s skills with the puck are as diverse as they are appealing but the added bonus is his intangibles — leadership, work ethic and compete level. He has the balance and agility of Auston Matthews, the vision and passing of Jack Hughes, Nico Hischier’s two-way proclivity and, most importantly, Lafreniere displays McDavid’s commanding on-ice presence.

A throwback from a physical standpoint, Lafreniere's vision, stickhandling and hands are elite by present-day standards. He is a possession-driving forward who manages to look graceful in tight spaces as often as he does in open ice. There isn’t much an opponent can do once he and his linemates take control in the offensive zone and their surgical exchanges and weaving during the cycle force most checkers to waive the white flag and retreat to the slot. Once he’s afforded room, Lafreniere can deliver a devastating wrist shot and pick the corners with regularity.

Still, as sweet as these superlatives sound, they don’t necessarily guarantee Lafreniere will outproduce or outperform any of the aforementioned top picks. He’s still a teenager learning the game, and his enthusiasm has led to some undisciplined play. Never neutralized completely, Lafreniere has been held in check, albeit for short periods of time.

The constant dilemma for opponents past or present is managing and planning around the certainty that Lafreniere has both the will and the skill to change the complexion of a game in an instant. Looking at his numbers in comparison to several current NHL stars at the same age, there’s no reason to think he won’t do the same at the highest level.

It's fitting that the future face of the Red Wings franchise is basically the love child of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

A good piece on Lafreniere:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/world-juniors-2020-canada-rimouski-forward-alexis-lafreniere-putting-up-impressive-numbers-in-pre-draft-year/a0lvmqqw85901dcr681pfw0s4

It's fitting that the future face of the Red Wings franchise is basically the love child of Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg.

There's no reason to believe he will be any better than any other top of the draft winger... DURRRR...

35 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Irrelevant when you're picking 4th

How so? We may pick 4th, but Lafreniere is still going to be an elite, borderline generational player for whichever team is lucky enough to win the draft lottery...