• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

2020 Draft Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

In the past 10 years there have been a few 1st overall picks who I thought were clearly worth tanking for at the time: Tavares, Hall, McDavid, Matthews, and Dahlin. I missed the mark on MacKinnon and Ekblad I guess, but oh well.

Lafren to me is clearly in the group of must haves. He's def not a RNH, Yakupov, Hughes, Hischier in my book.

So we picked a good year to be awful. Lafren is worth going for... but we're up against Ottawa, the biggest disaster of a team in 300 years. And they have 2 possible lottery picks. Out tanking them will be like trying to herd cats.

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

We just have to hope the Sharks turn it around. Because the way the Wings have been, Lafreniere should be our destiny. 

Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm pulling for the Sharks in a big way right now. Ugh.

I know no one wants to hear it, but even if the tank goes sideways and we end up picking in the 3-10 range, it isn't the end of the world. The consensus about this draft class is that it's crazy deep. As in, we're potentially looking at the entire top four or five being as good as or better than Andrei Svechnikov, who was the clear-cut #2 in the Dahlin draft and who's been producing like a former 1st overall pick. (God, I wish we'd gotten Andrei Svechnikov.)

Personally, I've been able to watch some of the big names via streams and I've liked what I've seen. Lucas Raymond is capable of holding his own in the SHL, Sweden's top league. Alexander Holtz is having no trouble producing in the SHL. Anton Lundell is having no trouble producing as a centerman in the Liiga, Finland's top league. Tim Stutzle has put up 15 points through 17 games in the DEL, the German men's league that our very own Moritz Seider played in last season. Yaroslav Askarov is arguably a borderline generational goalie who's been favorably compared to Carey Price.

I think any of those players absolutely crushes it at the CHL level this season. And then there's a group of players who ARE dominating at the CHL level this season. It's an embarrassment of riches there at the top few rungs of this draft class. Which means we should expect a large number of very good players to be available later than they probably "should" be.

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm pulling for the Sharks in a big way right now. Ugh.

I know no one wants to hear it, but even if the tank goes sideways and we end up picking in the 3-10 range, it isn't the end of the world. The consensus about this draft class is that it's crazy deep. As in, we're potentially looking at the entire top four or five being as good as or better than Andrei Svechnikov, who was the clear-cut #2 in the Dahlin draft and who's been producing like a former 1st overall pick. (God, I wish we'd gotten Andrei Svechnikov.)

Personally, I've been able to watch some of the big names via streams and I've liked what I've seen. Lucas Raymond is capable of holding his own in the SHL, Sweden's top league. Alexander Holtz is having no trouble producing in the SHL. Anton Lundell is having no trouble producing as a centerman in the Liiga, Finland's top league. Tim Stutzle has put up 15 points through 17 games in the DEL, the German men's league that our very own Moritz Seider played in last season. Yaroslav Askarov is arguably a borderline generational goalie who's been favorably compared to Carey Price.

I think any of those players absolutely crushes it at the CHL level this season. And then there's a group of players who ARE dominating at the CHL level this season. It's an embarrassment of riches there at the top few rungs of this draft class. Which means we should expect a large number of very good players to be available later than they probably "should" be.

Count me as an Askarov guy

32 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Look at Ottawas contract situation too. Almost every contract has 1 year left. They are positioned to sell and take tanking to a whole new level. Meanwhile we're loaded with unsellable long term contracts.

I think one of the most damning things we can say about the post-Rafalski/Lidstrom era is that we somehow managed to go all those years without boasting many players who made other people salivate at the prospect of their team landing them. Even "joke" organizations like the Sens have had some very good players in recent years, e.g. Karlsson, Turris, Zibanejad, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman. Feels like we spent 40 years poking Nyquist and Tatar with a stick and saying to them, "Trades are hard. Plz be better." Hronek is the first legit high-end defenseman we've produced since Kronwall.

Point being: Yes, trades *are* hard when no one wants what you're selling. The Tatar trade was masterful, but, holy hell, that's basically the only hell-yes-we-got-some-good-pieces-in-a-trade moment of the entire Nyquist-Tatar era.

(Hindsight, I know.)

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I think one of the most damning things we can say about the post-Rafalski/Lidstrom era is that we somehow managed to go all those years without boasting many players who made other people salivate at the prospect of their team landing them. Even "joke" organizations like the Sens have had some very good players in recent years, e.g. Karlsson, Turris, Zibanejad, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman. Feels like we spent 40 years poking Nyquist and Tatar with a stick and saying to them, "Trades are hard. Plz be better." Hronek is the first legit high-end defenseman we've produced since Kronwall.

Point being: Yes, trades *are* hard when no one wants what you're selling. The Tatar trade was masterful, but, holy hell, that's basically the only hell-yes-we-got-some-good-pieces-in-a-trade moment of the entire Nyquist-Tatar era.

(Hindsight, I know.)

I'm sure lots of teams would have drooled over a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or a Kronwall. But Holland was trying to compete and the Wings are classy and loyal. The Sens are cannibalistic whack-jobs. But you know this. 

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

(Hindsight, I know.)

Larkin: first elite forward drafted by the Red Wings in 15 years
Hronek: first top4 Dman drafted by the Red Wings in 16 years

Elite Red Wings drafting

26 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'm sure lots of teams would have drooled over a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or a Kronwall. But Holland was trying to compete and the Wings are classy and loyal. The Sens are cannibalistic whack-jobs. But you know this. 

Oh, for sure, it's not like we didn't have elite talent. Franzen was also a pretty big deal for a while.

I guess I'm just taking a dig at our drafting. I'm kind of tired of defending the track record with "I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW WE DRAFTED VERY RESPECTABLY GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES." We needed them to pull gems out of their butts and they gave us lots of Jakub Kindls and that's why we're here. Fair or not, I'ma say they pooped their pants.

30 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Larkin: first elite forward drafted by the Red Wings in 15 years
Hronek: first top4 Dman drafted by the Red Wings in 16 years

Elite Red Wings drafting

Jarnkrok looked pretty good last night.

11 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Who will the Wings take with their top 5 pick in 2021?

Button's Early Look at 2021 Draft Class

I am not emotionally prepared to contemplate a bottom-five finish in 2021. One terrible season at a time for me plz thx.

Edited by Dabura

I am not emotionally prepared to contemplate a bottom-five finish in 2021. One terrible season at a time for me plz thx.

I'm thinking of just abandoning hockey. Football is pretty dope and like super alpha. I think I could survive in that community. f*** the Lions thou I'll never be suckered into that powder blue trap. Thinking maybe Steelers or Pats. IDK. Probably should just wait for the Seattle team so I can have my secondary fix. God the Red Wings are bad.

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm thinking of just abandoning hockey. Football is pretty dope and like super alpha. I think I could survive in that community. f*** the Lions thou I'll never be suckered into that powder blue trap. Thinking maybe Steelers or Pats. IDK. Probably should just wait for the Seattle team so I can have my secondary fix. God the Red Wings are bad.

I tuned out for a couple of years after The Devastation of '09. Granted, that was largely because of life stuff; I simply did not have enough free time to follow hockey obsessively. But there was also a burnout element to it. Even with the team being as dominant as it was, for whatever reason I'd gotten to the point where being a hardcore fan felt more like a stressful job than a source of entertainment and a form of release.

Point being, I wouldn't fault you for going on indefinite hockey hiatus.

But don't do it for football.

I tuned out for a couple of years after The Devastation of '09. Granted, that was largely because of life stuff; I simply did not have enough free time to follow hockey obsessively. But there was also a burnout element to it. Even with the team being as dominant as it was, for whatever reason I'd gotten to the point where being a hardcore fan felt more like a stressful job than a source of entertainment and a form of release.

Point being, I wouldn't fault you for going on indefinite hockey hiatus.

But don't do it for football.

Oh I'm not serious. Just being a whiny *****. Football is like musket lines in 1840. Hockey is a modern ballet. Only true men of culture appreciate it. If I go on hiatus it'll be for work. I'm a wage-slave sucker like that.

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Oh I'm not serious. Just being a whiny *****. Football is like musket lines in 1840. Hockey is a modern ballet. Only true men of culture appreciate it. If I go on hiatus it'll be for work. I'm a wage-slave sucker like that.

Oh, I thought we were having a tender moment. nvm. Eff y'all.

I really hope Byfield stays close to Lafreniere in the rankings. If we get the first pick I would like a centre instead of a winger. I realize we need help everywhere but an elite pivot is critical. Maybe we’ll get the second pick and I won’t be in a quandary.