• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

Johansson also had a nice night, with 2 points. Glad to see he's rounding into form offensively. I was really impressed with how responsible he was defensively but I was hoping for more production and it seems to finally be coming.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Johansson also had a nice night, with 2 points. Glad to see he's rounding into form offensively. I was really impressed with how responsible he was defensively but I was hoping for more production and it seems to finally be coming.

To me, we need one more right handed piece to our puzzle.  Johansson slots in at #5 from my point of view.

Edvinsson - 1A

Seider - 1B

_______ - 2A

Wallinder - 2B

Johannson - 3A

Lindstrom - 3B

I'm good with Hronek in the 2A spot if he doesn't get overzealous with money.  But if I'm the Wings, I'd be looking at a potential trade with Columbus for Jiricek.  That guy would give us a top 4 D that would absolutely CRUSH.

Just now, Jonas Mahonas said:

To me, we need one more right handed piece to our puzzle.  Johansson slots in at #5 from my point of view.

Edvinsson - 1A

Seider - 1B

_______ - 2A

Wallinder - 2B

Johannson - 3A

Lindstrom - 3B

I'm good with Hronek in the 2A spot if he doesn't get overzealous with money.  But if I'm the Wings, I'd be looking at a potential trade with Columbus for Jiricek.  That guy would give us a top 4 D that would absolutely CRUSH.

Columbus ain't moving Jiricek. He's a top ten pick (6th), he's performing really well, and they're a rebuilding team. He's an awesome player though, you're right about that.

I don't think Hronek can really ask for the moon or anything, he's having a really good season this year, but his track record isn't so good that he can ask too much. He's like Bertuzzi in that way. One really good year and a few pretty good ones. That should typically put you in the 6-6.5 million range for Hronek. I'd lock him up at that in a heartbeat. But we've still got a lot of rope left to play out with him. He's under contract for another year, and then he's an RFA still. So he's under team control for at least two more seasons after this one. So SY has a couple options with him.

Overall I agree that it would be nice to have another decent right hander, but I don't think it's as urgent as center or scoring winger.

Cossa really starting to dominate in Toledo now. It's almost has if some players need time to develop and aren't automatic busts at 20. 

10 GA in his last five starts and he brought his subpar save % above .90 on the season. 

But please let's make this post all about Wallstedt again

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Cossa really starting to dominate in Toledo now. It's almost has if some players need time to develop and aren't automatic busts at 20. 

10 GA in his last five starts and he brought his subpar save % above .90 on the season. 

I LOVE Cossa

21 hours ago, marcaractac said:

15oa pick dominating echl in d2 season. Is that supposed to impress anyone? This doesnt change his outlook until he dominates ahl hes still a big bust. Like it or not Cossa will always be compared to the far superior Wallstedt still outperforming in a much better league. Cossa still sucks.

3 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

15oa pick dominating echl in d2 season. Is that supposed to impress anyone? This doesnt change his outlook until he dominates ahl hes still a big bust. Like it or not Cossa will always be compared to the far superior Wallstedt still outperforming in a much better league. Cossa still sucks.

Why even chime in if you've already determined him to be a bust? The Wild have their own forum if you want somewhere to gush about Wallstedt. 

The kid has shown significant strides in terms of development from early season until now. It's not his fault he can't get a call up to GR because Ned is there. 

4 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

If Yzerman interviewed Wallstedt 10 times of whatever like the reports say and didn’t draft him then there’s something wrong with the kid that the Scott Wheelers of the world are missing. Something Minny may find out in Game 7 Rd 1 of the playoffs in 2025 sort of thing. 

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

If Yzerman interviewed Wallstedt 10 times of whatever like the reports say and didn’t draft him then there’s something wrong with the kid that the Scott Wheelers of the world are missing. Something Minny may find out in Game 7 Rd 1 of the playoffs in 2025 sort of thing. 

yup.  my guess is that he truly hasno swagger.  He might be the peefectly trained prototype goalie that's never out of position and makes all the right reads.  But he's not the guy that gets it done in the end.

Cossa = Maverick (5 kills)

Wallstedt = Iceman (1 kill)

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Or maybe its possible SY whiffed on the pick? I know we all want to believe SY is perfect and mistake free but hes not hes made mistakes this is one of them and hell make others. its the nature of the business. Fortunately SY makes more good moves then bad but it doesnt mean we should ignore the bad.

Edited by redw1ngs

1 hour ago, redw1ngs said:

Or maybe its possible SY whiffed on the pick? I know we all want to believe SY is perfect and mistake free but hes not hes made mistakes this is one of them and hell make others. its the nature of the business. Fortunately SY makes more good moves then bad but it doesnt mean we should ignore the bad.

both have 0 games in the nhl.  no way to tell on this one yet.  But Chiarot signing is a complete gaff.  Chiarot sucks really bad.

57 minutes ago, Axl Foley said:

Yzerman had all of the stats and glowing scouting reports on Wally and he interviewed him multiple times. The fact that he traded up, and still drafted Cossa, is telling.

Its telling that SY has another 1st swing and a miss on his resume. Luckily for him he has some homeruns on that resume to.

Edited by redw1ngs

9 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

It's blatantly apparent SY is after solid players - but also players with strong personalities and leadership qualities.. Seider is evidence of that. Cossa is evidence of that. And I suspect Kasper maybe as well. Edvinsson seems to have a cocky personality - but is probably the furthest from this leadership trope along with Raymond.

Even if Cossa never turns out to be as good as Walstedt he seems like a guy who's going to be well liked. He's gonna at the min be an Osgood.

I hope thats not the reason SY and KD wanted Cossa. Personality and being well liked doesnt win hockey games. Wallstedt was a better goalie on draft day and has furthered the gap. Cossa is bigger and more athletic but Wallstedt uses his size better and is never out of position.

8 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

I hope thats not the reason SY and KD wanted Cossa. Personality and being well liked doesnt win hockey games. Wallstedt was a better goalie on draft day and has furthered the gap. Cossa is bigger and more athletic but Wallstedt uses his size better and is never out of position.

Playing more compact and using his size over athleticism are the exact changes Cossa has been making this season, which are now paying off. Next season. he'll get the chance to do it at the AHL level. 

It's fine to think he was the wrong pick. It's silly to think he is already a bust, however. He has done everything asked of him to get better and is now getting the results. He is on the right trajectory at this point and that's all one can really hope for. 

Walnuts was always the more NHL ready goalie. SY sees higher longterm potential in Cossa.

Personality/interview wise, Cossa seems to be very high in the confidence market. I do think this is a very desirable trait in a goalie. Walnuts on the other hand has the more shy reserved personality you expect in a goalie. Which to me means hes either secretly uber confident in himself, or hes someone whos gonna shatter at the first sign of pressure. 

21 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Walnuts was always the more NHL ready goalie. SY sees higher longterm potential in Cossa.

Personality/interview wise, Cossa seems to be very high in the confidence market. I do think this is a very desirable trait in a goalie. Walnuts on the other hand has the more shy reserved personality you expect in a goalie. Which to me means hes either secretly uber confident in himself, or hes someone whos gonna shatter at the first sign of pressure. 

Cossa will be fantastic.  We just need to wait a few years.

34 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

Yeah nobody ever accused Cossa of being better right now. He was clearly drafted based on his potential. Higher ceiling, although a much lower floor than Wallstedt. 

Wallstedt has been playing pro hockey in Sweden for a while. Even he had a period of struggling to transition to the AHL. Cossa has been doin' the Hasek in junior. He had to change his game a LOT this season. It f***ed with his confidence, but now it is paying off. The dude has all the tools and the work ethic to be great. But he was always gonna be more of a project in terms of development, and that's okay. 

9 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Yeah nobody ever accused Cossa of being better right now. He was clearly drafted based on his potential. Higher ceiling, although a much lower floor than Wallstedt. 

Wallstedt has been playing pro hockey in Sweden for a while. Even he had a period of struggling to transition to the AHL. Cossa has been doin' the Hasek in junior. He had to change his game a LOT this season. It f***ed with his confidence, but now it is paying off. The dude has all the tools and the work ethic to be great. But he was always gonna be more of a project in terms of development, and that's okay. 

I think he's AHL bound next year and then a Red Wing come 2024-25.  I realize that isn't exactly Nostradamus, but if he's up on the Wings at age 22, that would be impressive.

37 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I think he's AHL bound next year and then a Red Wing come 2024-25.  I realize that isn't exactly Nostradamus, but if he's up on the Wings at age 22, that would be impressive.

Cossa is definitely the farthest major prospect out. He needs to spend at the very least 2 seasons as the starter in the AHL yet.