The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

Simon Edvinsson just turned 20 today. That's wild. He's playing amazing hockey right now too. Dude's got points in his last 5 games (give or take) and he's an absolute rock defensively. The Athletic has Detroit in their top five ranked prospect pools in the NHL (again) and this dude is a big reason why. I'm looking forward to seeing if he finishes strong down the stretch, but regardless of that he's a lock for the roster next year.  You love to see it.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Simon Edvinsson just turned 20 today. That's wild. He's playing amazing hockey right now too. Dude's got points in his last 5 games (give or take) and he's an absolute rock defensively. The Athletic has Detroit in their top five ranked prospect pools in the NHL (again) and this dude is a big reason why. I'm looking forward to seeing if he finishes strong down the stretch, but regardless of that he's a lock for the roster next year.  You love to see it.

Hope he gets a 10 game audition to end the season...

3 minutes ago, mackel said:

Hope he gets a 10 game audition to end the season...

There's a pretty good chance of that I'd think. The guy's an absolutely monster. And he's still got so much more filling out to go. Our team is about to be so hard to play against in a couple of years. I love where this iteration of the Red Wings is headed.

9 hours ago, kipwinger said:

AJ has quietly been putting up a lot more points lately too. Less flashy, but that kid is a stud. He's already been a go-to guy for eating minutes. Now the scoring is coming along too.

In terms of playing a solid, all-around game, I do think he is more NHL -ready at this stage. Though if Edvinsson keeps it up, he'll be good enough to work out the remaining kinks at the NHL level next season. 

2 hours ago, marcaractac said:

AJ has quietly been putting up a lot more points lately too. Less flashy, but that kid is a stud. He's already been a go-to guy for eating minutes. Now the scoring is coming along too.

In terms of playing a solid, all-around game, I do think he is more NHL -ready at this stage. Though if Edvinsson keeps it up, he'll be good enough to work out the remaining kinks at the NHL level next season. 

When I saw GR on Jan. 4th he and McIsaac were the go-to defensive pair for the Griffins. They were sent out for every important situation. He definitely plays a very trustworthy game, if he can add some of the offense he had in Sweden he'll be a quality NHLer. But as it is he has excellent analytics and strong defensive play. Reminds me a bit of Nick Jensen in that way.

4 hours ago, marcaractac said:

AJ is our best piece of a trade for Chychrun, imo.  I think wed need to give up 2 firsts, AJ, and a lesser developed prospect.  If we could go 2023 1st, 2025 1st, Johansson, and Lombardi, would you pull the trigger?

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

AJ is our best piece of a trade for Chychrun, imo.  I think wed need to give up 2 firsts, AJ, and a lesser developed prospect.  If we could go 2023 1st, 2025 1st, Johansson, and Lombardi, would you pull the trigger?

No. I'd laugh Arizona off the phone if they asked for that.

42 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

No. I'd laugh Arizona off the phone if they asked for that.

Big time. Arizona wouldn't be able to accept that offer quickly enough. And we kind of need that 2023 1st to address the lack of high-end talent up front.

I think Johansson will be a great partner for Seider at some point. Then you'll have Edvinsson anchor the second pairing. Tough to play against for damn sure.  

15 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Big time. Arizona wouldn't be able to accept that offer quickly enough. And we kind of need that 2023 1st to address the lack of high-end talent up front.

I think Johansson will be a great partner for Seider at some point. Then you'll have Edvinsson anchor the second pairing. Tough to play against for damn sure.  

Player 1:

24 years old (will turn 25 in a month)

4.6 million dollar salary, 2 more years

.7 ppg this season

.45 ppg for his career.

90th percentile offensively and defensively (above replacement) analytically

Player 2:

(Just turned) 25 years old

4.4 million dollar salary, 1 more year

.7 ppg this season

.52 ppg for his career

One of these player is Jakob Chychrun and one of them is Filip Hronek. So ask yourself, would you give up two 1st, a top AHL defensive prospect, and a promising young center prospect who's top ten in OHL scoring for Filip Hronek? If not, then Chychrun probably isn't worth that either.

Edited by kipwinger

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Player 1:

.7 ppg this season

.45 ppg for his career.

Player 2:

.7 ppg this season

.52 ppg for his career

One of these player is Jakob Chychrun and one of them is Filip Hronek. So ask yourself, would you give up two 1st, a top AHL defensive prospect, and a promising young center prospect who's top ten in OHL scoring for Filip Hronek? If not, then Chychrun probably isn't worth that either.

I'd consider it for sure.  Especially the picks.  perhaps negotiate the picks to 2024 and 25 if its Johansson and 2023 and 2025 with McIsaac.  It's not like top 4 defensemen grow on trees.  Chychrun-Seider, Edvinsson-Hronek, Wallinder-Grans.  Yes please.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'd consider it for sure.  Especially the picks.  perhaps negotiate the picks to 2024 and 25 if its Johansson and 2023 and 2025 with McIsaac.  It's not like top 4 defensemen grow on trees.  Chychrun-Seider, Edvinsson-Hronek, Wallinder-Grans.  Yes please.

They don't grow on trees, but we already have 3 (Seider, Hronek, Edvinsson), and potentially another in Wallinder or Johansson. Why give up valuable assets for a player we most likely won't need?

16 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Player 1:

.7 ppg this season

.45 ppg for his career.

Player 2:

.7 ppg this season

.52 ppg for his career

Especially considering defense is a position of strength as far as prospects go. If we're talking about acquiring a young, top-line center, I'm all ears on giving up those kinds of assets. Even then, you try and limit things to one first rounder.

14 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Might as well. Sodorblom will be up with the big club next year so there's an open spot on the wing in GR. I don't think he'll amount to much, but there's no harm in keeping him around and seeing what happens.

I really hope we clear out some guys at the TDL.  Flip guys like Erne, Sunny, Suter, etc for whatever you can get... retain salary, etc and bring up some guys like Elmer and Vrana (iffy I know).

I view this TDL as the year where we purge older vets, and give good stretch run time to some kids... if they go on a run great, if not they get experience and a head start on next season.

8 minutes ago, mackel said:

I really hope we clear out some guys at the TDL.  Flip guys like Erne, Sunny, Suter, etc for whatever you can get... retain salary, etc and bring up some guys like Elmer and Vrana (iffy I know).

I view this TDL as the year where we purge older vets, and give good stretch run time to some kids... if they go on a run great, if not they get experience and a head start on next season.

in full agreement.  Suter, Erne, Osterle, Haag, Sundqvist can all go.  I wont be unhappy if Bertuzzi, Zadina, Perron, and Kubalik are traded, either.

Vrana - Larkin - Raymond

Berggren - Kasper - ?

Need another right hander in our top 6.  Bedard would look REAL GOOD there.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

in full agreement.  Suter, Erne, Osterle, Haag, Sundqvist can all go.  I wont be unhappy if Bertuzzi, Zadina, Perron, and Kubalik are traded, either.

Vrana - Larkin - Raymond

Berggren - Kasper - ?

Need another right hander in our top 6.  Bedard would look REAL GOOD there.

Or you could just keep Perron for another year.