• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

Wing Hire HC Derek Lalonde, AC Bob Boner, AC Varaday, and GC Westlund

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Now ask yourself how shiddy Kostin must have been to not even be able to fill the role he had cornered the market on>I know we all get boners for muscle around here but c'mon

Agreed. He'd prob be an upgrade over Bergrren

That's a good retort, and effective for winning a debate, but you and I both know that it comes down to what the coach prioritizes. Lalonde would rather NOBODY fill that role. Which is why nobody fills it. Same with Holl. He's not great, god knows, but if size and physicality were a priority he'd play over Maatta.

I don't envy coaches, they've got a tough job. They have to figure out the right mixture of traits for every player and every team. It's okay that Kane is soft, and non competitive, and risky with the puck because he's scores a ton. It's okay that Chiarot gets lost in the defensive zone because he's good in transition and on the PK. It's alright that Ghost and Raymond are horrendous defensively because they're dynamic and good on the powerplay. Apparently Kostin's recipe of traits wasn't what Lalonde wanted or he'd have played more. But it's hard not to think that's a mistake when A) you see him playing well elsewhere (Edmonton and San Jose) and B) we get absolutely ragdolled every single time we play a physical team.

Edited by kipwinger

38 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

I think Michael McCarron would be a good pickup if were looking for a big physical winger that can answer the bell. Still has 2 years with NSH but could probably be had for cheap and is a MI native and can chip in offensively in a bottom 6 role.

Why bother? We just had that exact player, only five years younger, and Lalonde wouldn't play him. I think it's got to be a player with enough offensive upside to justify keeping him in the lineup. Otherwise I think Derek will default to whatever "safe", two-way, guy he has handy. I mean, we literally have Czarnik in the lineup right now but couldn't find a spot for Kostin and Berggren is in the press box. Derek wants "no event" hockey out of his bottom end guys, clearly.

Edited by kipwinger

18 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

Derek has to go.

Well, I think he's a young coach caught in a logic trap. He thinks that you have to be great defensively to win (which I agree with). He talks all the time about how Tampa had to learn to play the right way. But that's the thing, Tampa had a team full of talented players who evolved into a solid defensive team. Lalonde is trying to skip to the end by icing a team full of guys that can defend, regardless of whether they're talented.

Babcock used to do this too and it made me crazy. He'd rather have Darren Helm in the top six than Patrick Eaves because Helm was better defensively. Meanwhile you've got a 30 goal scorer in your press box and your team can't score enough goals to win. Why not play Eaves (understanding he's not as good defensively) and make the focus of his development that he become an adequate defender? Ya know, coach him?

I'm blown away that we're losing every game, can't find icetime for Berggren and Kostin, but have Czarnik in the lineup. At the very worst why not lose every game, play the guys who can score (or hit and fight), and teach them how to be better defenders? The outcome would be exactly the same but one of the two options at least has growth potential.

12 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Well, I think he's a young coach caught in a logic trap. He thinks that you have to be great defensively to win (which I agree with). He talks all the time about how Tampa had to learn to play the right way. But that's the thing, Tampa had a team full of talented players who evolved into a solid defensive team. Lalonde is trying to skip to the end by icing a team full of guys that can defend, regardless of whether they're talented.

Babcock used to do this too and it made me crazy. He'd rather have Darren Helm in the top six than Patrick Eaves because Helm was better defensively. Meanwhile you've got a 30 goal scorer in your press box and your team can't score enough goals to win. Why not play Eaves (understanding he's not as good defensively) and make the focus of his development that he become an adequate defender? Ya know, coach him?

I'm blown away that we're losing every game, can't find icetime for Berggren and Kostin, but have Czarnik in the lineup. At the very worst why not lose every game, play the guys who can score (or hit and fight), and teach them how to be better defenders? The outcome would be exactly the same but one of the two options at least has growth potential.

Bergrren will be 24 starting next season. You might be able to squeeze a little D out of him but he probably is what he is at this point. 

I'm more intersted to see what he can do with Edvinsson and maybe one of Johansson/Mazur/Kasper. 

Regardless, If Y is going to keep Derk around, he needs to find a way to add a LEGIT top 4 D to this team next year or they may as well trade Seider and move the team to Atlanta. Holy good christ

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Bergrren will be 24 starting next season. You might be able to squeeze a little D out of him but he probably is what he is at this point. 

I'm more intersted to see what he can do with Edvinsson and maybe one of Johansson/Mazur/Kasper. 

Regardless, If Y is going to keep Derk around, he needs to find a way to add a LEGIT top 4 D to this team next year or they may as well trade Seider and move the team to Atlanta. Holy good christ

I was just using Berggren as a hypothetical. He's actually solid enough defensively, he just turns the puck over at bad times. That's why he's in the press box. I think that's an easily coachable issue. My point is that getting someone who scores to play better defense is an easier task than getting Czarnik to score.

I 100% agree that we need a top four defenseman. But someone who can actually defend in big minutes. Doesn't have to be Tanev/Gudas, but in that mold. That way you can free up Seider and Walman to play in the offensive zone a little more and utilize their actual skill instead of asking them to defend all game long.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I was just using Berggren as a hypothetical. He's actually solid enough defensively, he just turns the puck over at bad times. That's why he's in the press box. I think that's an easily coachable issue. My point is that getting someone who scores to play better defense is an easier task than getting Czarnik to score.

I 100% agree that we need a top four defenseman. But someone who can actually defend in big minutes. Doesn't have to be Tanev/Gudas, but in that mold. That way you can free up Seider and Walman to play in the offensive zone a little more and utilize their actual skill instead of asking them to defend all game long.

Seeing Armchair GMs saying Matt Roy might be a good fit. UFA. From Detroit. Only 28. Shoots right. Haven't seen him play enough though because LA ............

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Wasnt Eaves very good defensively and 1 of our top PKers along with MIller and Helm?

1 hour ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

Wasnt Eaves very good defensively and 1 of our top PKers along with MIller and Helm?

I don't remember it that way, but that's not really the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that Eaves clearly had more offensive upside than guys like Helm or Abby (or later Glendening) but never got half the opporunity in the top six that those guys did. Something about their game was "safer" than his. Maybe he was fine defensively and they were better. Maybe he was too "risky" or something. In whatever case, Babs felt better playing guys in the top six who had no potential to score over a guy that did. If he was nearly as good defensively that only proves the point I'm making, which is that in many cases you can improve a guy's defensive much more easily than you can improve his offense. 

37 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't remember it that way, but that's not really the point I'm making. The point I'm making is that Eaves clearly had more offensive upside than guys like Helm or Abby (or later Glendening) but never got half the opporunity in the top six that those guys did. Something about their game was "safer" than his. Maybe he was fine defensively and they were better. Maybe he was too "risky" or something. In whatever case, Babs felt better playing guys in the top six who had no potential to score over a guy that did. If he was nearly as good defensively that only proves the point I'm making, which is that in many cases you can improve a guy's defensive much more easily than you can improve his offense. 

I agree with the point your making I just dont think Eaves/Helm was a good example. I do recall Eaves getting looks in the top 6 maybe not as much as Helm/Abby but that mayve been as much Dats/Z as it was Babs decision.

Either way I agree that Kostin should have been utilized better here and Czarnik being called up instead of playing Berggren or calling up Kasper/Mazur is terrible. For the now and the future.

ALL HANDS ON DECK

Sergei Fedorov is leaving CSKA Moscow as of today.

Unclear yet whether he was fired or chose not re-sign. He missed the playoffs this year, but won back to back gagarin cups as HC in the two previous years. 

Bob Duff published an article a year ago, in which Slava Bykov says Feds has been encouraged to pursue the NHL and wouldnt be surprised if he makes the jump as his next challenge.

Mike Illitch is dead, I doubt Chris has the same bad blood for Feds. 

Bring in Feds as AC and then retire 91??? Once Derek blows it again next season, sack him and replace with Feds? I want to see an angry former soviet yell at this loser team

33 minutes ago, Troy McClure said:

ALL HANDS ON DECK

Unclear yet whether he was fired or chose not re-sign. He missed the playoffs this year, but won back to back gagarin cups as HC in the two previous years. 

Bob Duff published an article a year ago, in which Slava Bykov says Feds has been encouraged to pursue the NHL and wouldnt be surprised if he makes the jump as his next challenge.

Bring in Feds as AC and then retire 91??? Once Derek blows it again next season, sack him and replace with Feds? I want to see an angry former soviet yell at this loser team

Feds would probably end up like Gretzky…Frustrated having to deal with a bunch of regards.

2 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Feds would probably end up like Gretzky…Frustrated having to deal with a bunch of regards.

Sergei would see things that the regarded players have no clue about frustrating him and he would go all KGB on them 

3 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Hes already been a very succesful KHL coach and GM. And he chose coaching over management. His post NHL career makes Gretskys look regarded, even if it is KHL.

And correction to my OP. Moscow did make the playoffs this year, they just went out early. 2nd round I believe. 

Feds has also won the KHLs jack adams twice.

His teams are known for rallying when down. Down in a game or playoff series, they come back and pot a bunch goals or win 3 playoff games in a row to win a series. Something Derek could learn...

Feds also loves to pull his goalie in OT and go high stakes empty net powerplay. 

Side note. Been reading about Larionov as well since this news broke. Some Russian sources have been saying they expect Lari will quickly be handed an NHL job when/if he decides he wants one. He is regarded as a brilliant tactitcian in most all hockey circles. Hes only been coaching a short time in the KHL so far though.

18 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

ALL HANDS ON DECK

Anything

7 hours ago, CoupeLongueuil said:

Fire the AC's and bring in Fedorov for Offense and Jalonen for Defense.

I see Jalonen is stepping away from Jokerit as well. 

Problem with these KHL guys, is they are essentially NHL rookies. Not only do they have no expierence coaching in this league, they dont know any of the players, trainers, other coaches, refs, etc. Super green. I wouldnt want one as a fresh HC, and im not sure id want two as AC.

When SY hired Derek it was widely talked about that Yzerman only likes to hire guys he knows already. Hence why we got stuck with doofus Derek. But because of this Feds might have the in that others lack.