• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Y19

3/17 GDT Wings @ Penguins (6:00pm EDT)

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Compher and Copp have never been big scorers.  Their numbers this season aren't a big outlier.  I realize scoring is up in the NHL from several years ago.  So that's a counterpoint.  Debrincat is helpless without linemates.  Larkin being out hurt his scoring stats.  He doesn't score even strength because he's small, soft, and overly reliant on powerplay scoring.  Just like this entire roster.  The powerplay is their offense.    

I agree that Compher and Copp have never been big scorers. Neither has Rasmussen. So why criticize Rasmussen for not scoring and not the two guys who score about the same, get paid more, and were both brought on board to play in more prominent offensive roles (2C)?

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I agree that Compher and Copp have never been big scorers. Neither has Rasmussen. So why criticize Rasmussen for not scoring and not the two guys who score about the same, get paid more, and were both brought on board to play in more prominent offensive roles (2C)?

We could probably criticize every player on this team for something.  In fact, we usually do.  I don't expect Rasmussen to score more than Copp or Compher.  I do, however, expect a 6'6 forward to be more physical than a badminton player.    

Rasmussen will always be expected to do more because of his size.  That's just the stigma with being a giant.  Just think of every large pro wrestler who never became a major star.  Those guys get more flak than smaller wrestlers whose gimmicks never made it.    

3 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

We could probably criticize every player on this team for something.  In fact, we usually do.  I don't expect Rasmussen to score more than Copp or Compher.  I do, however, expect a 6'6 forward to be more physical than a badminton player.    

Rasmussen will always be expected to do more because of his size.  That's just the stigma with being a giant.  Just think of every large pro wrestler who never became a major star.  Those guys get more flak than smaller wrestlers whose gimmicks never made it.    

I think that's a fair criticism to a point. I think the entire team could be more physical, and guys like Ras, Fischer, and Chiarot should be leading the way. I've mentioned that we're soft as warm butter a lot lately. I DO think Ras uses his size and reach effectively in the offensive zone. Both in terms of protecting the puck and extending possessions, as well as on the forecheck getting the puck back. I get the feeling that the team is generally discouraged from running other teams and playing that type of game, which is a coaching decision IMO.

I’ve liked Rasmussen’s game during their slide here.  I didn’t see past the 1st period last night I just listened to it but heard he had a 3-1 chose to shoot and missed the net.   Which is his thing it seems.  He’s been playing hard though, just doesn’t have a great finish-or even a relatively good one.  Him & Raymond have been our only 2 guys that stood out to me consistently giving an honest effort.

8 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I’ve liked Rasmussen’s game during their slide here.  I didn’t see past the 1st period last night I just listened to it but heard he had a 3-1 chose to shoot and missed the net.   Which is his thing it seems.  He’s been playing hard though, just doesn’t have a great finish-or even a relatively good one.  Him & Raymond have been our only 2 guys that stood out to me consistently giving an honest effort.

He had two or three odd man rushes.  Not the guy ideally you want with the puck in that scenario.  Then again, we only have maybe three or four forwards I'd trust on breakaways or odd man rushes.  The rest are basically Draper/Helm.    

IMO our biggest issues are

1. No 2C that can generate offense

2. Defense is too top heavy defensively

3. Our wingers are too small

Honorable mention that our goalies suck, but life may have been different if Husso's groin hadn't exploded twice.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Randy 'Macho Man' Savage was only 6'1", but to me he was larger than life personifide.

56 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Honorable mention that our goalies suck, but life may have been different if Husso's groin hadn't exploded twice.

So you don't think Lalonde is an issue?

33 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Looking at GR and sliding Danielson into that group for compare to try to alleviate number 3 decient 

Nate is 6 2 187

Kasper is 6 1 183

Hanas is 6 1 180

Mazur is 6 175

praying they all go on the Raymond plan and gain 15 pounds of muscle  this summer which barely gets them to ~200....

1 minute ago, GMRwings1983 said:

So you don't think Lalonde is an issue?

I do, I just meant with respect to roster construction. I do think Lalonde is an issue, but I also think he's a good coach. I think he's inexperienced and doesn't fully understand that the "process" that coaches talk about with their players also applies to him as well.

1 minute ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Looking at GR and sliding Danielson into that group for compare to try to alleviate number 3 decient 

Nate is 6 2 187

Kasper is 6 1 183

Hanas is 6 1 180

Mazur is 6 175

praying they all go on the Raymond plan and gain 15 pounds of muscle  this summer which barely gets them to ~200....

None of those guys are what I mean when I talk about "power wingers" though. The first two are centers and the others don't play a power game. When I say power winger I mean someone like Josh Anderson, Tom Wilson, Alex Tuch, Brady Tkachuk, etc.

The only guy in our organization with that kind of potential is Sodorblom. And it's getting to the point where I'd tell him that he either needs to start developing a power game or he's going nowhere in this organization. We don't need another winger that plays like Hanas and Mazur, we've got them.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

None of those guys are what I mean when I talk about "power wingers" though. The first two are centers and the others don't play a power game. When I say power winger I mean someone like Josh Anderson, Tom Wilson, Alex Tuch, Brady Tkachuk, etc.

The only guy in our organization with that kind of potential is Sodorblom. And it's getting to the point where I'd tell him that he either needs to start developing a power game or he's going nowhere in this organization. We don't need another winger that plays like Hanas and Mazur, we've got them.

my mind reading days are well past me...LOL

I was just looking at young guns that have some size and coming up potentially X years.  To be honest I have completely forgotten about Elmer ...not good. 

4 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

my mind reading days are well past me...LOL

I was just looking at young guns that have some size and coming up potentially X years.  To be honest I have completely forgotten about Elmer ...not good. 

Elmer is having a good season, he just doesn't play the right way. He'd be a dominant power forward, but he's content being an average skill guy.

The other guys you mentioned definitely have some bite to their game, but not a power game. Like, Kasper is a lot like Ryan Kesler. Feisty, agitating, strong, and bordering dirty. But he's not going to run a guy over to slam home a rebound. Danielson is like Larkin. Tough, strong, sturdy, but not a power guy. Mazur is like Bunting, Bertuzzi, or Gallagher. Dirty, agitating, feisty but not a power forward.

I would have liked to see SY draft Koehn Ziemmer last year instead of...checks notes...Noah Dower Nilsson? Woof.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I would have liked to see SY draft Koehn Ziemmer last year instead of...checks notes...Noah Dower Nilsson? Woof.

I know nothing about Ziemmer but whats the reason he went 78 and Danielson went 9? 

Danielson - 6'2 185lbs. RHC

D - 68GP 33G 45A 78PTS

D+1 - 52GP 24G 39A 63PTS

Ziemmer - 6'1 203lbs. RHW

D - 68 GP 41G 48A 89PTS

D+1 - 21GP 11G 20A 31PTS

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

1) We can't address this without addressing 2 and 3 first

2) Yzerman wont bite the bullet and get rid of the problems (Chiarot, Petry, Holl).  Next year would have been the perfect time to get Edvinsson, Johansson, and ASP in the lineup day 1.  We are committed to the old vets unless Yzerman can work some magic over the summer.  Never should have needed to, tho.  Chiarot and Holl with 1/2 salary retention we're both easily tradable at the deadline 

3) The Thompsons and Wilsons of the NHL don't grow on trees.  We need better draft position to acquire them.  We are in no man's land right now, tho.  We needed Soderblom to juice out and become Lyle Alzado on skates.  He appears content to be Minute Bol tho.  

Back to 1).  Right now, it's Danielson or Lombardi.  Kasper is projecting as 3C material, and that's ok.  We need a 3C that doesn't cost 5 mil per.  But we REALLY need a 2C that's really a 1B.  And unless Danielson or Lombardi suddenly metamorphosize into Dylan Cozens, we are going to have to trade for a guy like that.  

3 minutes ago, stephen-gregory-yzerman said:

I know nothing about Ziemmer but whats the reason he went 78 and Danielson went 9? 

Danielson - 6'2 185lbs. RHC

D - 68GP 33G 45A 78PTS

D+1 - 52GP 24G 39A 63PTS

Ziemmer - 6'1 203lbs. RHW

D - 68 GP 41G 48A 89PTS

D+1 - 21GP 11G 20A 31PTS

Ziemmerberg