• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Packer487

Convince me why I shouldn't be dreading this series....

Rate this topic

I've been saying for months that I didn't want to face San Jose. They're big, they're fast, they're deep, their power play is lethal, and they kind of owned us this year when we faced em.

And yet, some of you seem pretty positive about this series. I'm looking for reasons to not be dreading this series.

I know their defense isn't that good and I know we have the edge in goal. Apart from that, help me out! Make me feel good heading into Thursday. I just have "Sharks in 6" running through my head and I hate it....

-Tim

We've got the Dominator in net. We've got a rejuvinated team. The boys are playing great hockey right now

I have a feeling the Sharks fans were\are looking at the Wings like we were looking at Dallas. I think the wings best chance for the cup got eliminated last night. Ducks and Sharks beat the snot out of each other, while Wings drop Dallas in 6, then Wings vs winner of Ducks\Sharks: maybe a chance. There is no way in hell the wings are going to get thru BOTH of them. I would love it if they did, but it wont happen. IT PAINS ME TO SAY IT!

Sharks in 7

Please! Have some faith! If we are going to win the Cup then we are going to have to beat the best teams to do it. The Sharks are a good team but they don't scare me. Remember, the regular season means almost nothing. Look back thru all the years we dominated teams in the regular season only to have those teams give us hell during the playoffs. Even Detroit looks like a different team so far these playoffs with Cleary and the "mule" stepping up big time along with Chelios and "the pain train" playing almost perfect defense. And our stars are playing like stars, something that does not always happen. It is possibile that the Wings could lose, as could any team, but if we play our game it's not gonna happen.GO WINGS

The playoffs are scary by nature. An entire series can change by the ringing of a goal post or a bad penalty. San Jose is absolutely better than Calgary, and will be very tough to beat. While Nabokov is not quite the elite goalie that Kipper is he has a better team around him, and can play out of his mind for a series.

The Wings best players have to be their best players if they expect to get past the Sharks...god bless Cleary but if he is their best forward in this series they're done.

I didn't want the Wings to play the Flames in the first round, I was hoping they'd play the Wild. They beat the Flames. And we do have a good chance beating the Sharks, were 3-0 at home.

And that bad loss 9-4, the West Coast trip is always hard and its reg season anyway.

This is a new season, Wings can play hard

GO WINGS!!!

Am I the only one not scared by the Sharks? Sure, they've beaten us in the regular season, but anyone who has watched the Wings knows that this postseason team is VERY different than the one that played the Sharks in the regular season. And I don't mean just because of a few new players. The whole team is playing fantastic, we have fire, we're hitting everything in sight, and we're scoring!

Oh, it'll be a hard fought series, like Calgary, but I don't see this being a 7 game series. Wings will win it in 6.

- Houdini

You shouldn't be dreading this series because...

If you play like you did in round 1, you'll beat anybody.

There's a good sport and a guy who takes the same attitude I do when we lose to somebody. Who wants to think that they were eliminated by a second rate team?

Having said that, this series scares me despite everyting I've read in this thread. I believe we can win and no offense to this Calgary fan, but this team ain't the Flames. Kippur was superb, but we out muscled them overall on every other level. SJ isn't going to allow that. On the other hand Hockey is one game where the mental element reigns surpreme. We've been eliminated twice recently by 8th seeded teams that willed themselves to the finals. That will be the deciding factor in this series in my opinion.

This should be a great series. The Sharks are one of the other West teams I like, and I root for them in their series - EXCEPT for this one obviously.

One thing about the Sharks in recent playoff years - they never seem to get over the hump and get into the finals. They always have a good team, but fall just short. Should have beat the Flames a few years ago imo. Definitely should have beat the Oil last year. So will this be the year they get through? I don't know. The Wings always have a tough time in the first round (understatement); but the further we go, it seems like we have more success. Our record in the WCF is pretty damn good.

Looking forward to it.

p.s. I cannot believe all those idiots at ESPN ALL picked the Sharks - that is ridiculous considering this is at best, a pretty even match-up.

I'll lead you an example:

1997 playoffs, game 4 of the WCF. We crush the Avs 5-0 at home. The Avs come back the next night to crush us 6-0. Granted we were on the losing side of that swing (though we won the series), but it goes to show that, no matter how much you lose a game, it's only one game; you can lose it by 1 or by 50 and the result is the same. The next game starts out 0-0.

Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but didn't the Wings win Game 4 of the '97 WCF 6-0? I know COL won Game 5, by a 6-0 score, but I could've sworn DET won 6-0 in Game 4.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone......

Maybe I'm having a brainfart, but didn't the Wings win Game 4 of the '97 WCF 6-0? I know COL won Game 5, by a 6-0 score, but I could've sworn DET won 6-0 in Game 4.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone......

You are correct from what I know.

Am I the only one not scared by the Sharks? Sure, they've beaten us in the regular season, but anyone who has watched the Wings knows that this postseason team is VERY different than the one that played the Sharks in the regular season. And I don't mean just because of a few new players. The whole team is playing fantastic, we have fire, we're hitting everything in sight, and we're scoring!

Oh, it'll be a hard fought series, like Calgary, but I don't see this being a 7 game series. Wings will win it in 6.

- Houdini

I'm with you. I wasn't scared of the Flames, and I am not scared of the Sharks. At all.

I think the only thing we have to fear is the officiating. Every time we went to the west coast during the regular season, we were the recipients of bad calls. So, if the officiating is fair, you have nothing to fear.

Wow, quite a bit of confidence in this thread.

The thread starter was right, Wings fans should be scared, just as Shark fans should be. One of these fine teams will be sent packing.

This Sharks team is much better than the Flames, and better than the team that beat you guys in the regular season, with Guerin and Rivet, and Nabby is really hot right now.

That being said, I am pretty confident too... pretty confident this should be a really good series, and confident that a very good team will be sent home for the season.

Go Sharks.

Wow, quite a bit of confidence in this thread.

The thread starter was right, Wings fans should be scared, just as Shark fans should be. One of these fine teams will be sent packing.

This Sharks team is much better than the Flames, and better than the team that beat you guys in the regular season, with Guerin and Rivet, and Nabby is really hot right now.

That being said, I am pretty confident too... pretty confident this should be a really good series, and confident that a very good team will be sent home for the season.

Go Sharks.

You guys seem pretty confident as well. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone and their mother is picking the Sharks to win, just like how everyone picked the Flames to win. The Wings are underdogs, and so far it's worked for them well. No one should take them lightly. *Not talking about you*

You guys seem pretty confident as well. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone and their mother is picking the Sharks to win, just like how everyone picked the Flames to win. The Wings are underdogs, and so far it's worked for them well. No one should take them lightly. *Not talking about you*

How anyone can say the Wings should be underdogs just blows me away. Sure, they had 1 fewer win than the Sharks, but they did have 7 fewer losses (in regulation). The Wings are the #1 seed, and have home ice advantager.

And, don't people know that the Joe is a tough place to play. And, the Sharks record there is far from good... it sucks! I dread it when the Sharks have to play there.

I certainly don't take the Wings lightly. Obvously they are a very solid team to be the #1 seed. (And, I don't buy the weak division argument too much. This is the top league in the world. Even the worst teams are still top notch. You don't suck and end up with the #1 seed regardless who is in your division.)

That being said... GO SHARKS!!

..They have earned that right by racking up more than twice as many overtime losses as the Sharks. Turning losing into an art form is a skill not often found in a #1 seed. Hopefully, we can see that skill on display often throughout this series. :cool:

...Or you could say that the Sharks were better at losing quicker than the Red Wings.

QFT

HAHA

Matt! Your ava is fantastic!

How anyone can say the Wings should be underdogs just blows me away. Sure, they had 1 fewer win than the Sharks, but they did have 7 fewer losses (in regulation). The Wings are the #1 seed, and have home ice advantager.

And, don't people know that the Joe is a tough place to play. And, the Sharks record there is far from good... it sucks! I dread it when the Sharks have to play there.

I certainly don't take the Wings lightly. Obvously they are a very solid team to be the #1 seed. (And, I don't buy the weak division argument too much. This is the top league in the world. Even the worst teams are still top notch. You don't suck and end up with the #1 seed regardless who is in your division.)

Oh I don't look at the Wings as underdogs but analysts, media, etc... surely do! I don't get it either.

Anyways, good post!

I can see this being a tough series for both teams. Both Wilson and Babcock have come close to glory recently and will have their teams prepared for a long, physical series. I would be surprised if it doesn't come down to a game 7 scenario. That being said, I think that if it does come down to game 7, I feel comfortable with a healthy Hasek and a loud JLA to bring a trip to the WCF.