• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Packer487

Convince me why I shouldn't be dreading this series....

Rate this topic

There is a reason he was ran out of Boston. Do you honestly think, under normal circumstances, that Boston would have given up Thornton for two mediocre forwards (Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau) and a depth defensmen like Brad Stuart if they wanted to keep him? I admit, Mike O'Connell was a horrible GM for Boston, so the move may not come as a suprise, but still. Thornton is a franchise player, but his leadership and ability to step it up in the playoffs has constantly been questioned, leading to his demise in Boston.

I'm just going by how he was before. Maybe he has changed, I don't know. I still think Marleau is the bigger playoff threat though.

I agree his post seaosn performance in Boston probably hastened his exit from there... and his supposed unispired play in letting Montreal come back from 3-1 deficit didn't help.

But, that is the past now. As a Shark, his post season play has been "almost" on par with his regular season performance. (15 pts in 16 games is good, no matter who you are). I hope he's changed from Boston. maybe 3 post season series isn't enough to judge. I guess if he can keep up his near 1 pt. per game pace through this post season, he should shed at least some of that post season reputation he has.

I know this is supposed to be a thread to convince, but lets not make incorrect statements. You said they don't have a Vezina calbre goaltender? I would say that the tandem of Nabokov(a deadly tender, and a former calder winner) and Toskala, who would be THE #1 on most any other team is certainly scary. So lets not say goaltending on their team isn't scary, because it really is.

So you think Nabakov will stop most of the 40-50 shots per game that Kiprusoff could not? I also hate this matchup but somehow I don't think goal tending is what's going to stop them... I'd sure like to see them win the first one... very important to set the tone against this Shark team...

Thorton is an interesting player. He has the size and strength to play more physical than he does, yet is an amazing playmaker much like Datsyuk. Wings will deny him time and space and he will disappear as most playmakers do in the playoffs. Will he step it up and take it to the hole? We'll see, but I doubt it. I'm more worried about the big forwards that grind and can shoot - except for Guerin who sharks fans will discover is a devensive liability.

Edited by clutchngrab

One thing nobody has mentioned is momentum and the change of team personality from the regular season to the playoffs. I've probably only missed a handful of wing games this year and I can say for sure they have ratcheted up their play big time for the post season. It's almost like they have been saving it all season for now - especially when you look at the physicality of the so-called "old and soft" wings. Yes, I am a homer, but I don't see anyone beating us if we play the same way we did most of the Calagary series. I hae that old '97 feeling baby and I remember what the team played like and it ain't much different.

Reasons you shouldn't be dreading this series:

The Wings are MUCH tougher/gritty then they have been in years.

They aren't letting anyone push them around.

Great goaltending.

Bertuzzi.

Datsyuk is finally showing up in the playoffs.

Zetterberg is coming around after a slow start to the first round.

Defense is fantastic.

Everyone is stepping up their game big time.

Kipper>Nabakov.

They are the Red Wings.

There ya go!! Feel better?

Reasons I'm still dreading this series:

Although the Wings are tougher than they have been, I still think San Jose is stronger.

They are a faster team than the Wings

They are a much younger team than the Wings, which normally means they are hungrier to win now rather than later.

Half of the Wings lineup has won a Stanley Cup before.

Thorton is an interesting player. He has the size and strength to play more physical than he does, yet is an amazing playmaker much like Datsyuk. Wings will deny him time and space and he will disappear as most playmakers do in the playoffs. Will he step it up and take it to the hole? We'll see, but I doubt it. I'm more worried about the big forwards that grind and can shoot - except for Guerin who sharks fans will discover is a devensive liability.

I agree. I think that Lidstrom will be assigned to Thorton like he was assigned to Iginla. Hopefully, with Lidstrom on his game, it won't give Thorton much room to breathe.

Reasons I'm still dreading this series:

Although the Wings are tougher than they have been, I still think San Jose is stronger.

They are a faster team than the Wings

They are a much younger team than the Wings, which normally means they are hungrier to win now rather than later.

Half of the Wings lineup has won a Stanley Cup before.

I agree. I think that Lidstrom will be assigned to Thorton like he was assigned to Iginla. Hopefully, with Lidstrom on his game, it won't give Thorton much room to breathe.

This is a very accurate analysis of the matchup. The Sharks ARE bigger, the Sharks ARE faster, the Sharks ARE younger, the Sharks ARE tougher.

Sharks in 5...

Edited by Samadelphia

This is a very accurate analysis of the matchup. The Sharks ARE bigger, the Sharks ARE faster, the Sharks ARE younger, the Sharks ARE tougher.

Sharks in 5...

Wings have better defence , better goaltending and can be physical. If we werent scared of Iginla , why would we be scared of Thornton ? he's afraid to hit in the playoffs.

Ok you guys got Nashville in 5 , we couldve elinated them in 4. They werent a tough team.

Wings in 6.

And btw Big Bertuzzi>Bumbling Bill Guerin

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Franzen can move for a guy his size. Lebda, if healthy can fly, Datsyuk and Draper can go as well.

Lebda and Draper aren't exactly prime scoring threats, but Marleau is faster than both. Datsyuk has good speed and excellent quickness, but I wouldn't rate him at Marleau or even Michalek's level either.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Guerin ? I watched that whoel Nash/Sj series , Blazing speed , no chance , he is overated if you ask me

There is a reason he's a regular in the Skills Competition's Fastest Skater event....

Lebda and Draper aren't exactly prime scoring threats, but Marleau is faster than both. Datsyuk has good speed and excellent quickness, but I wouldn't rate him at Marleau or even Michalek's level either.

Honestly the battle of speed can be split somewhat down the middle. I dont think we're going to lose the series and say oh, we were not fast enough. Lets say they are faster than us, its not as if we cannot keep up with them.

Datsyuk is miles ahead of Michalek in skill level , maybe even in speed.

There is a reason he's a regular in the Skills Competition's Fastest Skater event....

But whens the last time he won ? :P

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Honestly the battle of speed can be split somewhat down the middle. I dont think we're going to lose the series and say oh, we were not fast enough. Lets say they are faster than us, its not as if we cannot keep up with them.

I wasn't implying that at all; Nashville is much faster than us with guys like Kariya and Sullivan and Legwand, and we kicked their ass on numerous occasions. Just saying, San Jose is definitely the faster team.

No way. Guys like Marleau, Guerin, and Michalek can flat out fly. Wings can't match them for footspeed.

Very good, not completly delusional I see. :P

But in my mind where the Sharks speed comes into play isn't in the high fliers. Every team has few of those. It's in the surprising speed of guys like Grier, Clowe, Thornton, Ehrhoff, Goc etc. there simply are very few guys on the roster that would be considered slow. Bernier and maybe Brown, that's about it. And the difference between a speedy team like Nashville, and a speedy team like the Sharks is that Sullivan, Kariya Legwand etc are midgets. The Sharks bring all that speed, but they put it in a 6'2 215lb package

The trick in managing the Sharks speed is not in your best D handling the 3 high fliers, it's in your 3rd pairing handling Grier and Goc...

Edited by Samadelphia

Lids/Markov

Schneids/Lilja

Chelios/Lebda

No matter who Grier and Goc play against, they dont worry me. Maybe the Lilja and Schneider pairing a bit but either way Hank, Flip, Franzen or the Draper line will be on the ice to handle those two average players.

Yeah but you can have all of the speed, power, and youth in the world. If your team can't put the puck in net...all of those skills and attributes are completely meaningless. There have been many teams with less talent, less size, and less speed that did very well in the playoffs.

The 2003 Anaheim Ducks come to mind (cough cough).

The 2004 Calgary Flames.

The 2006 Edmonton Oilers. That's right...a team with more heart, grit and lucky scoring beat the mighty SJ Sharks last year in the playoffs if I remember.

Very good, not completly delusional I see. :P

But in my mind where the Sharks speed comes into play isn't in the high fliers. Every team has few of those. It's in the surprising speed of guys like Grier, Clowe, Thornton, Ehrhoff, Goc etc. there simply are very few guys on the roster that would be considered slow. Bernier and maybe Brown, that's about it. And the difference between a speedy team like Nashville, and a speedy team like the Sharks is that Sullivan, Kariya Legwand etc are midgets. The Sharks bring all that speed, but they put it in a 6'2 215lb package

The trick in managing the Sharks speed is not in your best D handling the 3 high fliers, it's in your 3rd pairing handling Grier and Goc...

Nope, I am afraid that your 3rd pair will have to handle Cleary, Draper, and Maltby. AND your 4th line will have to handle our Finish freak named Filppula.

Are you kidding me? We are the faster team.

Wrong. Dead wrong.

No way. Guys like Marleau, Guerin, and Michalek can flat out fly. Wings can't match them for footspeed.

Correct. Absolutely correct.

The forward lines match up okay, although San Jose has better pure scoring, but our forwards will have to be VERY GOOD defensively (are you reading this, Bob Lang?), and our DEFENSE cannot take hooking penalties (Schneider) or their PP will pick us apart.

Hasek is better than Nabokov, no question... but Hasek will be MUCH busier and Nabby will be much LESS busier than Kipper was.