• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TimeBinder

BYKOV

Rate this topic

Don't know. He's still listed as an RFA for the team (Red Wings Central Depth Chart).

I'd imagine that Bykov's days in the NHL might be done. If he was asking for too much money in '03 when we didn't have a salary cap...

Again, I could be entirely mistaken about why he went back to Russia, but something's sticking in my mind that he was asking for too much...

He almost went home in late '03 when he got mauled by a St. Louis player in that game when Kuznetsov shamed himself with Low and St. Louis gooned up the Wings. He lost his taste for NHL hockey for what Detroit was paying. He requested an outlandish raise and won't be back. I thought he was a fairly good player overall.

He almost went home in late '03 when he got mauled by a St. Louis player in that game when Kuznetsov shamed himself with Low and St. Louis gooned up the Wings. He lost his taste for NHL hockey for what Detroit was paying. He requested an outlandish raise and won't be back. I thought he was a fairly good player overall.

That sounds right. Bykov was a decent 5/6th d-man. Wouldn't mind him back but not at the price he was suggesting.

Edited by Satrebil

He wanted 2 million a season at the time. After the wings he played 55 games for Kazan 5 goals 11 assists 42PIM, last season he played 30 games. 2 goals 2 assists and 22 PIM. as I recall the whole deal with Kazan was 1 million year plus car and house and back to Russia. Plus it came out later that he hated living in the states and it was a culture shock to him. And he's now with Dynamo and I think the wings still own his rights. But that was an interesting entry draft in 2001.

I thought I remembered him getting something like $1million tax free from Russia. The game that fightfan24 was referring to, Bykov was needlessly challenged to a fight by Barret Jackman of St. Louis and obviously didn't know how to handle himself in a fight. I think that might have been the same game that Kocur threw the chair onto the ice because he was pissed at Keenan for sending his goons out at the end of a blow out, but I'm not sure.

I have totally changed MO about Bykov, I counted him as part of the future, but now who know where you can classify him. Maybe BUSTS IN NHL would work.

I think Bykov has probably burned his bridge with this organization.

He's done in the NHL period! after he went back to Russia he had nothing good to say about the NHL. But if he should sign with a team while RFA we get to match or get a 3rd round pick. Basically we got nothing for him and will continue to get nothing for him.

He's done in the NHL period! after he went back to Russia he had nothing good to say about the NHL. But if he should sign with a team while RFA we get to match or get a 3rd round pick. Basically we got nothing for him and will continue to get nothing for him.

He'll be UFA in the offseason. He's good enough to be a 4/5th type of guy that can move the puck.

peace

I always thought Bykov was Russian for "pylon". Not exactly the scoring type, and not big enough or willing enough to be a big force defensively. I suppose we should have been happy we got anything at all out of an 8th round pick, but had he stayed in the NHL, he would never have been more than a 6th or 7th defenseman, and probably would have done a lot of shuttling back and forth to the AHL.

I always thought Bykov was Russian for "pylon". Not exactly the scoring type, and not big enough or willing enough to be a big force defensively. I suppose we should have been happy we got anything at all out of an 8th round pick, but had he stayed in the NHL, he would never have been more than a 6th or 7th defenseman, and probably would have done a lot of shuttling back and forth to the AHL.

Who did you think he was, Bryan McCabe?

Bykov was and still is an okay 2nd or good 3rd pairing defenseman. Nothing more, nothing less. The current team could certainly appreciate his presence right now.

Bykov was and still is an okay 2nd or good 3rd pairing defenseman. Nothing more, nothing less. The current team could certainly appreciate his presence right now.

Ummm....I did think my post was pretty clear that I always thought Bykov sucked, not that I was expecting him to play like Bryan McCabe. Still do. I was surprised to see him make the club at all, and the whole season he played I felt like the only reason he was playing was because the Wings decided not to spend the money on a veteran retread. I wasn't expecting him to be McCabe, I was expecting him to be Max Kuznetsov.

I don't think Bykov could do anything for the Wings that Lilja or Rivers isn't doing. He's a borderline 3rd pair, more of a 7th defenseman than anything. I don't miss him.

Bykov was and still is an okay 2nd or good 3rd pairing defenseman.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The current team could certainly appreciate his presence right now.

snip

I don't think Bykov could do anything for the Wings that Lilja or Rivers isn't doing. He's a borderline 3rd pair, more of a 7th defenseman than anything. I don't miss him.

That, I disagree with. I'd take Bykov over Lilja or Rivers.