• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Jakub Kindl

Rate this topic

Big talented forwards are high commodities in the NHL bc there are so few of them.

Any large forward who lasted all the way to pick 42 (you listening, Latendressse) was obviously someone the scouts were not really high on. I'll take a #1 D-man over a big oaf who will have trouble making the roster.

The chance of Kindl becoming a number 1 defenseman is not much greater than finding a top 6 physical forward late in the first round. Nobody said elite powerforward here. Those are the ones gone in the top 5.

Um, have you seen the way Kindl is tearing up the OHL this season? He's been dominating. He was also ranked #4 overall by ISS before he struggled in his first year with Kitchener last year, which is why he slipped to the Wings at 19. Sounds like a solid #1 candidate to me.

#1 D-men fall out of the first round all the time. Ever heard of Niklas Lidstrom?

Yeah a no. 1 candidate, but most NHL players were stars in juniors. Doesn't mean he will be a no. 1 defenseman for sure. With Detroit's history I'd be happy if he becomes a top 3 defenseman. Yeah the name Lidstrom rings a bell, but that was ages ago. Not that I remember saying that no 1. defenseman never fall out of the first round but... Ever heard of Morrow or Malone?

the last two first round picks the Wings have spent on Power Forwards are:

Ryan Barnes.

Keith Primeau.

It's understandable why Detroit might shy away from drafting them. Primeau has developed into a solid player, but he did it after he was forced to elsewhere as the team's best player.

Barnes is..well..a minor leaguer.

Barnes was a late second-round draft pick, not a first.

Just because Detroit didn't have success with drafting power forwards ten years ago does not mean we won't need one when Shanny retires.

Guest WestCoastWingsFan

Of course we can't draft power forwards. They go early on day 1 and we're never in a position to get them.

Does the Czech Republic have a WJHC camp?

Yes, I just found this:

In the past few seasons, when the Rangers have made their only appearance in Sudbury, it has been a watered-down version, because it’s been at Christmas time and the roster was usually depleted by the WJC and Under-17 tournament.

“We will lose defencemen Boris Valabik and Jakub Kindl to the WJC for sure,� said DeBoer.

I watched Kindl play in the WJC exhibition against Canada and I hate to say it but he didn't look that good. He didn't get a lot of icetime, played on the 2nd pp unit. He made a couple of Lidstrom-esque passes out of his end. He also had a couple of giveaways and seemed to have trouble keeping the puck on his stick at times.

Don't shoot the messenger, but that's how I saw it.

Big talented forwards are high commodities in the NHL bc there are so few of them.

Any large forward who lasted all the way to pick 42 (you listening, Latendressse) was obviously someone the scouts were not really high on. I'll take a #1 D-man over a big oaf who will have trouble making the roster.

The chance of Kindl becoming a number 1 defenseman is not much greater than finding a top 6 physical forward late in the first round. Nobody said elite powerforward here. Those are the ones gone in the top 5.

Um, have you seen the way Kindl is tearing up the OHL this season? He's been dominating. He was also ranked #4 overall by ISS before he struggled in his first year with Kitchener last year, which is why he slipped to the Wings at 19. Sounds like a solid #1 candidate to me.

#1 D-men fall out of the first round all the time. Ever heard of Niklas Lidstrom?

Yeah a no. 1 candidate, but most NHL players were stars in juniors. Doesn't mean he will be a no. 1 defenseman for sure. With Detroit's history I'd be happy if he becomes a top 3 defenseman. Yeah the name Lidstrom rings a bell, but that was ages ago. Not that I remember saying that no 1. defenseman never fall out of the first round but... Ever heard of Morrow or Malone?

Drafted at 25th and 119th respectively.

Morrow is a damn good player, but he took a his good sweet time developing. People here would have called for his head long before he ever developed into what he is now.

Malone is 26 and is still struggling to establish himself as a top-six caliber forward in the NHL. He definitely has the potential to be a big contributor...but he's not following through on that.

I don't know what Morrow you've been watching, but Brendan had an immediate impact on the Stars when he entered the league 2 years after being drafted.

Malone's the victim of poor management in Pittsburgh. Suddenly they decided to buy every big name free agent out there and sacrificed a lot of youth doing it, not only Malone. Stupid.

Morrow is far better now than he was when he came into the league.

When he came into the league he was inconsistent with his offense and his defensive game needed a lot of work. He was consistently physical, but he showed the ability to be so much better and that is what would have gotten him run out of town. Think about how people treated Fischer...Fischer was generally considered a damn good defenseman around the league, but because he wasn't already dominating and had shown that he was capable of it, fans were calling for him to be traded.

Drafted at 25th and 119th respectively.

Morrow is a damn good player, but he took a his good sweet time developing. People here would have called for his head long before he ever developed into what he is now.

Malone is 26 and is still struggling to establish himself as a top-six caliber forward in the NHL. He definitely has the potential to be a big contributor...but he's not following through on that.

I don't know what Morrow you've been watching, but Brendan had an immediate impact on the Stars when he entered the league 2 years after being drafted.

Malone's the victim of poor management in Pittsburgh. Suddenly they decided to buy every big name free agent out there and sacrificed a lot of youth doing it, not only Malone. Stupid.

Morrow is far better now than he was when he came into the league.

When he came into the league he was inconsistent with his offense and his defensive game needed a lot of work. He was consistently physical, but he showed the ability to be so much better and that is what would have gotten him run out of town. Think about how people treated Fischer...Fischer was generally considered a damn good defenseman around the league, but because he wasn't already dominating and had shown that he was capable of it, fans were calling for him to be traded.

Well, that's only natural. Nobody would want a player to peak in his rookie season.

I watched Kindl play in the WJC exhibition against Canada and I hate to say it but he didn't look that good.  He didn't get a lot of icetime, played on the 2nd pp unit.  He made a couple of Lidstrom-esque passes out of his end.  He also had a couple of giveaways and seemed to have trouble keeping the puck on his stick at times.

I thought he played okay. Unlike many of the other Czech defencemen, I found he payed more attention to his defensive assignment than he did to the puck. As well, I felt that the Canadian fore-checking (they were really coming in hard) didn't affect him as much as it did the other defencemen on his team. You're right his break-out pass looked good, but I have no idea why he doesn't jump into the play more.

I watched Kindl play in the WJC exhibition against Canada and I hate to say it but he didn't look that good.  He didn't get a lot of icetime, played on the 2nd pp unit.  He made a couple of Lidstrom-esque passes out of his end.  He also had a couple of giveaways and seemed to have trouble keeping the puck on his stick at times.

I thought he played okay. Unlike many of the other Czech defencemen, I found he payed more attention to his defensive assignment than he did to the puck. As well, I felt that the Canadian fore-checking (they were really coming in hard) didn't affect him as much as it did the other defencemen on his team. You're right his break-out pass looked good, but I have no idea why he doesn't jump into the play more.

You're kind of grasping to see a bright side of his game that night. He's having a good year with Kitchener, thought and it was the first exhibition of the WJC so it way to soon to tell. I hope he does well! Maybe if I'm very lucky I'll get to see him in person if I can score tickets... He kinda looks like Lang out there with the cut pants...

You're kind of grasping to see a bright side of his game that night. He's having a good year with Kitchener, thought and it was the first exhibition of the WJC so it way to soon to tell. I hope he does well! Maybe if I'm very lucky I'll get to see him in person if I can score tickets... He kinda looks like Lang out there with the cut pants...

biggrin.gif Well, you kinda focused on the negative parts of his game, so I thought I might tell some of the guys who didn't get to see the game the things I thought he did well. But yeah, that first goal Canada scored was partially his fault; the pass came right in front of him, and all in all, he had a pretty weak first period. I felt he picked it up though. It also didn't exactly seem like the Czech players had half as much instensity as the Canadians did, so, as you said, I don't know that we can read too much into the game.

You're right about him in Kitchener, he's immerged as a half decent prospect I feel, and I'm glad to see Jakub is indeed progressing. I can't say I agreed with the pick at the time, but now that he's gotten better adjusted to the NA game, he should be a second-pairing defenceman one day.

Jakub Kindl is a great player and it is showing with Kitchener. There is no reason to judge his performance against a Canadian Squad that is forced to remain undefeated because of the performance they had last year and theWorld Junoirs. The Czechs in general are also not much of a team to take on a hard-hitting Canadian team because other than our boy Kindl they dont have much hitting poer to defend.

And to address the power forward player that everyone wanted the Wings to pick up in the draft. I look at it this way. We picked up Shanny in a trade then we picked up Lang in a trade and those 2 players are our biggest guys we put on the ice up front. So I dont see wats going to stop Kenny from grabbing someone like Bertuzzi or another player of his caliber.

After watching Kindl some more against the U.S., he stands around and gets scored on and then later made some high end moves with the puck on the (attacking) blueline and jumped up into the play. He's big and definitely has got something interesting to offer.

He's showing flashes of skill; maybe he's someone that the Wings hope to spend some serious maturing time in the AHL and will be more of a force eventually a la Kronwall.

Edit: Kindl has a giveaway on the pp on the point. Meh...

For every good thing I see with him, there's a negative... Who knows

Edited by dicksmack

Kindl has all the makings of being the next Lilja!

Kindl is probably more physical. wink.gif As NN said, Kindl is a high risk pick, as well as being a long-term prospect if there ever was one. He has the natural ability to become a top-pairing d-man in the NHL, however, realistically I see Jakub becoming a second pairing guy in a couple years or so.

Like Abdelkader, people really got on Kindl on draft day, saying we should have picked someone else. However, I'm pretty happy we have him.

He's big and doesn't mind playing physical, but he also has great skills and speed. He had a poor year last year as he adjusted to the North American style of play, but this year he has shown that as he gets more comfortable, he is going to keep on getting better. If Fischer develops that physical, mean streak like we all hope he will, then he and Kindl could form an awesome defensive pair in the future.

Well said. I am glad we got him. I think he will produce pretty well with the Wing's.

Kindl is probably more physical. wink.gif As NN said, Kindl is a high risk pick, as well as being a long-term prospect if there ever was one. He has the natural ability to become a top-pairing d-man in the NHL, however, realistically I see Jakub becoming a second pairing guy in a couple years or so.

Well I've yet to see Kindl actually throw a check, so comparing him to Lilja is fine. I'm skeptical of Kindl after watching him play two games. Hopefully he's a pleasant surprise.

Well I've yet to see Kindl actually throw a check, so comparing him to Lilja is fine. I'm skeptical of Kindl after watching him play two games. Hopefully he's a pleasant surprise.

You seem to think he is a liability on the defensive end. Well has he recorded any points in the tournament? He's well over 6 foot, and for someone so young that can be difficult so we need to give him plenty of time so he can fill into his body.

You seem to think he is a liability on the defensive end. Well has he recorded any points in the tournament? He's well over 6 foot, and for someone so young that can be difficult so we need to give him plenty of time so he can fill into his body.

Yes, he's had several glaring giveaways and he only showed flashes of offensive prowess... I'm just saying he's not exactly a dominant player and his game is a bit of an enigma. He reminds me of Brent Sopel a bit.

"Defenseman Jakub Kindl of the Kitchener Rangers is representing the Czech Republic at the WJC. He has an assist and a plus-5 in four games. "

So sounds exactly like Lilja then, poor defensively but got a great +/-? crazy.gifwink.gif