• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barnes52

Detroit interested in Weight?

Rate this topic

Detroit was rumored to be picking up Weight in 2003 to replace Fedorov.

We instead have Lang, who is better.

And Lang is our third best center.

Detroit would more likely be going for Tkachuk if they were picking up a Blues forward. A move which would likely involve trading AWAY a center (probably Lang) rather than getting one.

General manager Ken Holland likely won't have much salary cap space available before the March 9 trading deadline, but he will look to acquire a low-priced veteran defenseman and possibly a decent-sized winger.

From Mlive, the second paragraph quotes him as saying if they're to look anywhere it'd be on defense. But it sounds like he's open to another winger. They seem pretty thin at RW, and they're stacked at center.....

No way. Not for his 5.7 million.

I think that's what it boils down too. We'd have to move more than just Lang if we wanted to fit Weight onto our roster, and why would we possibly want to add another scoring line center to our team anyway?

I would like to see Weight here, but not through a trade this season. Like a lot of people have been saying, we're stacked at center. We are short in right wings though I do believe. Anyways, Weight also does make quite a bit of money, and we couldn't afford to get him, unless we were to trade two to three guys to fit his salary under the cap. Right now, his salary is way to big to get, even if we just traded away Robert Lang. Again, I wouldn't mind Weight in Detroit, just not through a trade.

Weight is too old and slow. Calgary could make a pitch for him, but we are way too deep on center to waste our time. Even if he did get switched to the wing, I'm sure they'll be a couple other wingers available who would be a better fit.

Good point.

Anyways, I really do think that the Wings need to start getting younger in practically all of the positions, to be as fast as the other teams that we play a lot. I would like to Weight here, but Detroit needs to get on with a youth movement sometime here in the near future. Not in a huge way, just a little way. Get the team a little younger.

NO NO NO! If anything the wings are in it maybe to up the ante in case he was to go to a rival, say Vancouver or Calgary or Nashville. As menitoned ad nauseum he makes too much, is too old (Wings need size, speed and youth) and he was severly injured the last full season (torn stomach muscles, plus I think he has a bad knee if I recall). Please do not buy into Doug Weight to Detroit. It will NOT happen. Again and in no particular order, what the Wings lack--and Nashville, Calgary and to an extent Vacouver have--SIZE, SPEED, YOUTH.

Guest Swimming with the Sharks

lol, no we have enough height..we need some Weight! wink.gif  hehe.gif

Hell, if we got Tkachuk, we'd be getting Plenty of Weight! laugh.gif

tomato.gif

I don't get the Doug Weight hating....let's say he can be had next year at a "hometown" discount in free agency, he wouldn't look better than a Lang? Plus his style of play allows him to be an effective winger also. I'd love to see Weight in a Wings uniform.

I don't know if it's because people hate Weight, but I don't see the need in having him here.

Yeah, Weight would look good in a Winged wheel, but he's not getting any younger either, and even though I love the Wings, and want them to do whatever is possible for us to get the Cup each year, I really don't want to bring in the older guys like we have been doing the past few years.

Spectors is reporting that Detroit is one of the teams interested in acquiring Doug Weight, no idea how they could fit that under the cap, but that'd be a great acquisition. Thoughts?

Were did you get this rumor from? I haven't heard that one yet this year.

Were did you get this rumor from? I haven't heard that one yet this year.

It said Spectors was reporting it. That should answer where the rumor was coming from and I don't really understand why you brought this up since he has been traded to the Hurricane since this was last talked about.