• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

And the point was to strengthen and improve our team.

Not with a roster player as far as I've heard. They said depth, and they got a mediocre depth player. A manneken. Jesus, we can't aquire guys like Carney for depth!

Oh come on.

Who here thinks the Wings would DEFINITELY have won the Cup with Todd Simpson and are now SCREWED because they have Cory Cross instead?  Raise your hands.

Nobody is saying that, all i am saying is that this guy brings nothing to the table that benefits the Wings where as Simpson would have atleast provided some toughness for the playoffs and he would have been CHEAPER. You can't seriously be happy with trading a 4th round pick for a guy who couldn't get a game for the worst team in the league.

Yes I can. Jiri Slegr wasn't getting any roll with Atlanta when we acquired him and he proved to be perfectly useful down the stretch - and Atlanta was the absolute dregs of the league at the time.

Are you referring to when he played one game in the playoffs or was it two??

Not with a roster player as far as I've heard. They said depth, and they got a mediocre depth player. A manneken. Jesus, we can't aquire guys like Carney for depth!

Yeah, I know what you are saying, but I wouldve liked to see a guy that could fill in the 6th spot ahead of Woolley/Lebda. And Carney wasnt a guy I wouldve expected us to land. He was too expensive.

Anyways, all this bitching is making me tired. I dont think Holland is a bad GM at all, but I am extremely disappointed as I think Woolley and Lebda are both better players than Cross. However, I would love to be proved wrong.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Which Holland did.  Cross is better than Rivers.

Maybe. When you cant make the Pens lineup, somethings wrong. And Rivers was only part of the team in theory, barely played and with limited minutes. He was our 8th guy. I wouldve liked to see Holland at least make an improvement over Woolley and Lebda.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

It seems to me that Cross is a tiny bit of an upgrade over Rivers. I can remember when he played for the Leafs and he was an effective penalty killer for them. Maybe Holland was thinking along the lines of using him as a PK guy if Cheli went down or something. I would have liked to have seen us grab Salei or Mitchel, but a D with Lids, Schneids, Kronwall, Lilja, Cheli, and Lebda with Wooley/Cross as reserves is still pretty good.

Maybe. When you cant make the Pens lineup, somethings wrong. And Rivers was only part of the team in theory, barely played and with limited minutes. He was our 8th guy. I wouldve liked to see Holland at least make an improvement over Woolley and Lebda.

For the prices paid for the defensemen that went, I wouldn't. Todd Simpson - even for a sixth rounder, I think he would have cost the Wings more than he would have contributed. It wouldn't have been worth it to trade from Grand Rapids for a d-man that'd be no better than a 6th guy, and that's probably what it would have taken for a Keith Carney.

I do not agree with that one bit.

Why? Cross has 5 inches and 30 pounds on Rivers, Rivers doesn't hit and isn't much of a penalty-killer, while Cross does (occasionally) and is.

Maybe Rivers' one lonesome assist this season is proof of his offensive firepower.

If we hadn't dumped Rivers and brought in Cross, people would just be bitching that Holland didn't do anything at all.

If only we could've gotten Witt for a seventh rounder...

I would take Jamie Rivers long before Cory Cross. I can't possibly fathom what Holland was thinking today. I really can't.

Same here!!!

If we hadn't dumped Rivers and brought in Cross, people would just be bitching that Holland didn't do anything at all.

If only we could've gotten Witt for a seventh rounder...

I would take Jamie Rivers long before Cory Cross. I can't possibly fathom what Holland was thinking today. I really can't.

Same here!!!

That's like saying, which way would you rather die, drowning or in a fire?

Wasn't going to happen. We have no cap room. This was a nothing trade and we had to ditch a player to do that. Kenny said he would only look for depth and I hate to say it but this was probably the best deal he could come up with. blink.gif

Doesn't matter.

I want a guy off the bench who can jump into the lineup and play.

Cory Cross had his best days in Toronto, and THAT, MY FRIEND isn't a compliment.

How is Cross and upgrade for Rivers?

I mean hmmm, let's some 800 thousand on .. geez i don't know ... CORY CROSS?

OMG. This is some kind of funny. Uhh, not really.  mad.gif

Wrong. Cross had his best season in 03-04 with EDMONTON.

Cross > Rivers because Cross can move the puck. Rivers can't.

We CAN'T PICK UP PHYSICAL D-man for anything lower than a 2nd rounder because depth D-men who are physical CANNOT move the puck, and thus can't play for us since they would render the rest of the players less effective.

That said Witt or Mitchell would have been IDEAL, but not worth the price.

Komisarek was available since january... Gainey said it on RDS... He was looking for veteran puck moving D (we could offer them Woolley and maybe 3rd round draft pick...)