• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

I don't mind getting Cory Cross, and I like that we got rid of Jamie Rivers, but why did we have to give up a fourth round pick? My take is that Holland traded Rivers with the idea that he was acquiring Witt, when that deal fell thru or when Nashville upped their offer, Holland was caught with his pants down and overpaid for Cross. No way Holland thought last night that he wanted Cory Cross and would spend a fourth rounder for him. The biggest issue I have is why wait till the trade deadline? Witt could've been had all year, it was thought a mid-level draft pick was all it'd take about 2 months ago, why didn't Holland act then? That to me is the most frustrating part. Teams are no longer going to give players away to just dump salary, the cap makes everyone equal and with 20 games left, teams don't want to throw away the season. Therefore the lack of sellers drives up the market, anyone could tell you that, so why not act early? If Holland offered a 3rd round pick and a Williams for Witt, McPhee would've done cartwheels a few months ago, today it would've take Hudler and picks perhaps or Kindl and picks. I can guarantee tat McPhee's asking price only went up once Nashville and LA and Vancover got desperate

I think something must've indeed caught Holland by suprise today. Who knows whether the Wings had something lined up for Witt, but I really do find it hard to believe that Kenny went into the day planning to give up Rivers and a fourth for Cross and a seventh. The moves he made today were redundant to say the least.

I don't mind getting Cory Cross, and I like that we got rid of Jamie Rivers, but why did we have to give up a fourth round pick? My take is that Holland traded Rivers with the idea that he was acquiring Witt, when that deal fell thru or when Nashville upped their offer, Holland was caught with his pants down and overpaid for Cross. No way Holland thought last night that he wanted Cory Cross and would spend a fourth rounder for him. The biggest issue I have is why wait till the trade deadline? Witt could've been had all year, it was thought a mid-level draft pick was all it'd take about 2 months ago, why didn't Holland act then? That to me is the most frustrating part. Teams are no longer going to give players away to just dump salary, the cap makes everyone equal and with 20 games left, teams don't want to throw away the season. Therefore the lack of sellers drives up the market, anyone could tell you that, so why not act early? If Holland offered a 3rd round pick and a Williams for Witt, McPhee would've done cartwheels a few months ago, today it would've taken Hudler and picks perhaps or Kindl and picks. I can guarantee that McPhee's asking price only went up once Nashville and LA and Vancover got desperate

What you're saying makes complete sense until you get to the part where the you felt the Wings waited to the trade deadline. If all it took was a Williams caliber player and a third rounder to get Witt, Witt would of been traded months ago. There's no way a trade like that would've happened. McPhee had made it known that he wanted top return for Witt. And obviously he was going to wait till the trade deadline to trade Witt to make sure he got top return. Nashville's coveted Witt all year, so obviously they McPhee was gonna try to get as much as he could out of them once the Wings, Kings, and Nucks got involved to drive up the price.

What you're saying makes complete sense until you get to the part where the you felt the Wings waited to the trade deadline. If all it took was a Williams caliber player and a third rounder to get Witt, Witt would of been traded months ago. There's no way a trade like that would've happened. McPhee had made it known that he wanted top return for Witt. And obviously he was going to wait till the trade deadline to trade Witt to make sure he got top return. Nashville's coveted Witt all year, so obviously they McPhee was gonna try to get as much as he could out of them once the Wings, Kings, and Nucks got involved to drive up the price.

I remember reading and it was even discussed here that teams were offering mid level picks for Witt. Nashville, Vancover and LA became players as the season went on because of injuries etc...My point is that the cost of acquiring Witt today was more than what it might've been 2 or 3 months ago.

I remember reading and it was even discussed here that teams were offering mid level picks for Witt. Nashville, Vancover and LA became players as the season went on because of injuries etc...My point is that the cost of acquiring Witt today was more than what it might've been 2 or 3 months ago.

I'm sure teams offered mid-level picks for Witt, cause frankly, thats what he's worth. But like I said, McPhee stated that he wanted top picks/prospects for Witt, he didn't want mid-level picks. Heck, i was suprised it only took nashville a 1st and a bust prospect to get Witt, because there was talk before the olympics that nashville offered up a 1st rounder and two solid prospects for Witt.

I don't mind getting Cory Cross, and I like that we got rid of Jamie Rivers, but why did we have to give up a fourth round pick? My take is that Holland traded Rivers with the idea that he was acquiring Witt, when that deal fell thru or when Nashville upped their offer, Holland was caught with his pants down and overpaid for Cross. No way Holland thought last night that he wanted Cory Cross and would spend a fourth rounder for him. The biggest issue I have is why wait till the trade deadline? Witt could've been had all year, it was thought a mid-level draft pick was all it'd take about 2 months ago, why didn't Holland act then? That to me is the most frustrating part. Teams are no longer going to give players away to just dump salary, the cap makes everyone equal and with 20 games left, teams don't want to throw away the season. Therefore the lack of sellers drives up the market, anyone could tell you that, so why not act early? If Holland offered a 3rd round pick and a Williams for Witt, McPhee would've done cartwheels a few months ago, today it would've taken Hudler and picks perhaps or Kindl and picks. I can guarantee that McPhee's asking price only went up once Nashville and LA and Vancover got desperate

Agree with a lot of that, but why the anguish over the 4th rounder? Not a lot of success in the 4th round for the Wings, and really, the 3rd is the last round you can expect to find an NHLer. Everything after that is a crapshoot. For every Evan McGrath the Wings have found in the 4th, there's four of Brent Hobday.

Agree with a lot of that, but why the anguish over the 4th rounder? Not a lot of success in the 4th round for the Wings, and really, the 3rd is the last round you can expect to find an NHLer. Everything after that is a crapshoot. For every Evan McGrath the Wings have found in the 4th, there's four of Brent Hobday.

True, but Luke Richardson and Todd Simpson were had for less. But either way, I don't mind Cory Cross, he has size, can play mean, and with the leadership this team has I bet he plays well and fits in. I like him a hell of alot better than Woolley and hope he gets some time to play here to see what he can do.

One more thing to keep in mind, I actually think it was Willie Mitchell that Detroit was trying to acquire. Either way, Holland was working on something bigger than Cory Cross, otherwise Jamie Rivers probably wouldn't have ben traded. But I like that Rivers isn't here, we got a pick for him and I don't mind Cross here.

We gave away a 4th round draft pick for Cross? "You know how I feel about giving". tongue.gif

Nah but in all honesty, his stats aren't too bad, he is capable of putting up a few points, and he has some high PIM numbers during his career which may indicate that he's willing to fight and stand up for his teammates. I don't really see the point to this trade though, because he offers virtually what Rivers did.

One more thing to keep in mind, I actually think it was Willie Mitchell that Detroit was trying to acquire. Either way, Holland was working on something bigger than Cory Cross, otherwise Jamie Rivers probably wouldn't have ben traded. But I like that Rivers isn't here, we got a pick for him and I don't mind Cross here.

The idea that Holland missed out on something bigger makes a lot of sense, Barnesy.

The idea that Holland missed out on something bigger makes a lot of sense, Barnesy.

He missed out on giving away a lot of assets. Guys that were in Cross' price range (mid pick) either had too big of a cap impact (Lukowich, Carney, O'Donnell) or are right on par with him in ability anyway (Brown, Simpson, Richarson, etc...).

peace

Now Barnsey, I'm not being sarcastic at all here, this was the post I've been waiting for. I really look foward to you and Barnes52 for the approval of the tough guys or at least guys with size. If you're not dissapointed, I'm not (I wasn't before.)

This post made my evening laugh.gif Way to go, Heaton!

I hate Cory Cross. I hate everything about him. He has size but his size is useless. He makes so many dumb plays, people will be screaming for his head after 1 game. A fourth rounder is gross overpayment for him.

Seems like Holland had bigger plans that fell through (Witt possibly with Nashville overpaying at the last second to steal) and settled for Cross.

Good news is Cross won't dress unless there's an emergency. Here's hoping there aren't any.

It took Kenny until 3 for THIS whizzbanger transaction?

Ugh.

Sure it would've been nice to see a better transaction... but anyone who expected a better transaction has to be on crack.

Cory Cross may not be a glorious pick-up, but I GUARANTEE he is much much better than Rivers. Rivers was worthless, he may have had an impressive season 2 seasons ago, but that was it, he is no more than a career minor leaguer, and I'm glad to be rid of him. Cross is no Norris Candidate, but like someone said above, "anyone who thought we would get anyone more impressive must have been smoking crack." He's a depth guy. The only way he'll play is if he comes in and plays well in the next 20 games, when he does play. And if he does, great! If not, oh well, he's a 7th d-man for a reason.

I remember this one guy, he was pretty worthless, I don't know if any of you naysayers have heard of him, but his name is Mikael Samuelsson. Oh yeah, now you remember huh? Anyone who gives Holland s**t for picking up Cross needs to get a nice puck to the head to knock some sense back into it, because Holland was right with Samy, and he's not wrong with Cross, he didn't need to make any major changes to the team, he just added an upgrade over Rivers, that's all, some depth. That's all there is to it, so get over it.

Judging by the lack of movement before the deadline, one can read into it that, the coaching staff are happy with what we have. Also they may have a few faces up from the minor's next year and the like's of Hudler, Grigorenko and Quincey could be in the frame for a shot, Who know's!?

Edited by Andy Pred 48

After lurking for years, I have decided to post, just becaose of this thread.

Thanks to the guy who posted all of our 4th and 7th round picks over the last 10 years, i was going to do that my self until he did it.

Second, I agree with Heaton, and southerwingsfan fully.

Holland gave up nothing, and got nothing back, in essence. We lost rivers, who the Pens didnt want a few years ago, and we got a 7th rounder for him. Then, we traded away a 4th rounder for another player the oilers and pens didn't want either. Some of you are acting like we gave away the franchise for a player who has one leg. This trade does not make or break this team. If cross scores a goal that wins us the cup, everyone will be prasing Holland for this trade. You have to take this trade as a grain of salt, it is not that important. Cory Cross, Yves Racine, why don't we bring him back?

He missed out on giving away a lot of assets.  Guys that were in Cross' price range (mid pick) either had too big of a cap impact (Lukowich, Carney, O'Donnell) or are right on par with him in ability anyway (Brown, Simpson, Richarson, etc...).

peace

Then he could have kept Rivers. Cross is not a huge improvement by any means. The 4th round pick is gross overpayment considering he only got a 7th for Rivers. Lukowich, Carney and O'Donnell are all leaps ahead of Cross. It all suggests Holland had to adjust his plan in my opinion.

I didn't expect much after reading Holland's statements earlier, but you're always optimistic something better can be worked out. Cross is good enough, but to say Holland didn't overpay is wishful thinking.

Edited by RyanBarnes!

I just wonder how many of you lamenting the Cross deal would have also bitched and moaned about aquiring Larry Murphy back in 97. Remember, that guy was booed on a regular bases on a Leaf team that was "the mega-suck". And look what he did in Detroit. Why? BECAUSE HE FIT WELL IN THE SYSTEM. If Cross can play 1/8 as well as Murphy, I'll call it a good deal. And I think he can.

He missed out on giving away a lot of assets.  Guys that were in Cross' price range (mid pick) either had too big of a cap impact (Lukowich, Carney, O'Donnell) or are right on par with him in ability anyway (Brown, Simpson, Richarson, etc...).

peace

Then he could have kept Rivers. Cross is not a huge improvement by any means. The 4th round pick is gross overpayment considering he only got a 7th for Rivers. Lukowich, Carney and O'Donnell are all leaps ahead of Cross. It all suggests Holland had to adjust his plan in my opinion.

I didn't expect much after reading Holland's statements earlier, but you're always optimistic something better can be worked out. Cross is good enough, but to say Holland didn't overpay is wishful thinking.

If Holland had something worked out for Witt, wouldnt he have made the initial trade first then trade Rivers?

SCARY MOMENT: Forward Dan Cleary was summoned to coach Mike Babcock's office hours before the NHL's 3 p.m. trade deadline. Uh-oh.

"Dan Cleary came in and his face was sheet white," Babcock said. "And then I apologized to him. Just 'cause I had no idea. I'm not thinking about that. I'm not the GM. I'm just trying to win tonight."

Cleary said Babcock wanted to talk about the penalty kill.

"You're like, 'Oh God! What's going on,' " Cleary said of his thoughts as he entered Babcock's office. "He looks at me, he's like 'No! Nothing like that.' ...

"Obviously, today is a day where everyone in the league knows your life can turn any minute. Things can go from good to bad or from bad to really bad."

Poor Cleary. tongue.gif

peace

I have to agree with some of the earlier posts. If Cross can come in and get comfortable with the leadership that others will show him and he can play well in the games he plays in, I will be happy with the move. It was hard not to expect a big deal because of the cap, but at least an upgrade over Rivers was made, and I feel that Cross is better than Woolley, especially in his own end. Cross is here for defensive play more so then offense anyways.