• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LemonPower

Wings acquire D Cory Cross from Penguins

Rate this topic

Me thinks in the end Cross will end up just like Slegr did, only used in an emergency.........and if you compared the 2 seasons together we only made a move for depth on D...nothing else....

I would also prefer the end to the season that we had too....wink.gif

Me thinks in the end Cross will end up just like Slegr did, only used in an emergency.........and if you compared the 2 seasons together we only made a move for depth on D...nothing else....

I would also prefer the end to the season that we had too....wink.gif

Most likely, yeah. But I bet he gets some playing time at some point in the remainder of this season. Whether it's resting guys like Lidstrom or just sitting Woolley to see what Cross can do, he'll get in a few games to get his feet wet while wearing the Winged Wheel.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

I just hope Cross is not Andy Delmore Chapter Two.

Delmore was basically a B version of Woolley.

Consider that Lebda beat Delmore for a roster spot. Consider that Rivers beat Delmore for a roster spot.

Consider that Cross was brought in to upgrade over Rivers, and Lebda was sent down because of the Cross acquisition, those two moves alone suggest Cross is ALREADY doing better than Delmore ever had a chance at doing.

Cross will not play tonight (Saturday), but will play and be paired with Kronwall on Sunday at Chicago.

He is basically competing with Woolley for the sixth D-man spot, and it should be interesting to see how Cross fares. I guess I wish him the best of luck, as Woolley certainly hasn't been anything special this season in whatver role he has taken on.

Edited by RedWingsFanatic

Didn't like this trade, as I was a Rivers fan. He was a solid, gritty D. Not sure what everyone's problem with him was. I think he was better than the golden boy, Kromwall.

There it is folks, the post that ruins the credibility of a person before he even reaches 100 posts.

Congrats HIGH ON FIRE, from now on anyone who agrees with you is wrong by association.

I don't think its High on Fire's opinion that makes him lose cred, it's the fact that he doesn't know how to spell KRONWALL. But my opinion doesn't count cause I have less than 100 posts

I didn't say that his opinion doesn't count because he has less than 100 points, I said he lost all credibility BEFORE he REACHED 100 posts.

I'm not one of those post count nazis.

I really hope Cross brings some kind of physical game with him, that will set him apart from Woolley right away. Either way, I'd much rather see Cross as our number 6 than Woolley. I think it's smart of Babcock to have 3 offensive defensemen to be paired with 3 "stay at home" guys. I'm interested to see what how Cross performs with Kronwall.

Edited by Barnes52

I read in my local newspaper that Cross is downed on by people though because of the lack of how much he uses his body as a big player. I only hope that Bobcock and the coaching staff can encourage him to use his body.

I think he'll get the message that in order to play over Woolley, he'll need to use his body. Funny, the few games I saw him in with both Edmonton and Toronto, I found him to be lacking skills but playing gritty in front of his net. I'm willing to give him a chance because he's big and smart enough to realize he's not here to score goals. We'll see though

Well....the Blackhawks game is nearly over, and I think Cross definitely made a good first impression. Goal on his first shift, good physical play along the boards, and even mixed it up a bit there near the end. Paul MacLean had good things to say about his play.

Seems to me like Cross is well on his way to establishing himself as a regular and bumping Woolley from the rotation.

Well....the Blackhawks game is nearly over, and I think Cross definitely made a good first impression. Goal on his first shift, good physical play along the boards, and even mixed it up a bit there near the end. Paul MacLean had good things to say about his play.

Seems to me like Cross is well on his way to establishing himself as a regular and bumping Woolley from the rotation.

Agreed, i over reacted when he was first signed and because we didn't get Witt but if cross continues to play as solid and as physical as he played tonight then i have no complaints.

I told you guys, if he keeps his game simple, uses his big body and plays smart, Woolley is done here! Cross is more physical than Lilja ever will be. This is a decent move by Holland, improvement over Rivers.

Cross is most likely rejuvenated. He has played on mediocre and down and out teams for the last few years and especially this year. For him to come to a Stanley Cup Contender, and a seroius one at that, I think he'll be willing to do all that is necessary to stay in the lineup and earn a roster spot over Woolley. Wooley is a solid d-man, but Cross is more what we need, he's not as much of a floater as Hatcher was, and he can pinch on the the offense SO much more effectively. His first pass is great, and as he showed everyone in last night's game, He is NOT afraid to put on the body when necessary, and is not afraid to fight, cause he would have with Barnaby had the refs not stopped it, he was ready to go. So eat it naysayers, Holland made a smart move, and we'll benefit from it.

Yeah, after watching last nights game, the acquisition of Cory Cross was a good one. I do also agree that being with a team that's a contender for the cup will really help his get his game back.

Heh, the first 10 pages of this thread is a Holland and Cross bash fest, but once yall see him be productive out there the mood flips 180 degrees. cool.gif

I actually had no idea we picked someone up, haven't been paying attention the last few days... good thing we did though, I don't like having both Wooley and Cheli out there at the same time, too many old timers did us in in 2003 IMO. Puck to the eye of ole Captain Y didn't help either I guess. thumbdown.gif

I would like to point out that (somewhere in this mess) I was one of the people not bashing Kenny on this move......biggrin.gif, If he keeps playing like he did last night then I have no doubt we have another steal on our hands...

Heh, the first 10 pages of this thread is a Holland and Cross bash fest, but once yall see him be productive out there the mood flips 180 degrees. cool.gif

I actually had no idea we picked someone up, haven't been paying attention the last few days... good thing we did though, I don't like having both Wooley and Cheli out there at the same time, too many old timers did us in in 2003 IMO. Puck to the eye of ole Captain Y didn't help either I guess. thumbdown.gif

Well, Cross isn't exactly a young buck....he's 35. Still, that's nine years younger than Cheli. Even though he's getting up there, I was pleased with the trade before the Chicago game and even more so afterwards. Most importantly, it sounds from his intermission interview that he's excited to be a Wing and hungry to prove he belongs. Just the kind of guy we need.

I remember when Cory Cross played for Toronto years ago..havent heard anything from him in awhile....this trade doesnt excite me. Is Rivers for Cross any improvement?

in regards to your signature, 57-38-7. FOR Michigan. Thats right, buckeyes punk so get back to me if the Buckeyes win 20 games straight and start winning that series