• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Detroit Lions, NFL 2006 Season Thread

Rate this topic

Blame your FO for drafting 3 WRs in the first round. There are other positions besides WR they could and should have drafted.

I am not saying it was right, but In all fairness, WR is a very important position. At the time i bet there were very, very few people criticizing the Charles Rogers pick. I bet 98% of Lions fans were excited about it. It made perfect sense to get Joey a top target. Its easy to backtrack now and say boy that was stupid! I'd even say the Roy Williams pick made sense in that Rogers was an injury question mark and there was still a gaping hole at that position. I think he still will turn out to be good anywyay this year. So really, imo, the 1 pick that deserves to be justifiably criticized is Mike Williams.

Since Matt Millen arrived he's been attempting to build a St Louis Rams style offense, so i really do understand what he was trying to do with these picks. Unfortunately none of our FA recievers have worked out, so it made him feel like he had to keep drafting them.

WR's are risky 1st round picks. They would have been better to draft on defense, O-line or trade down to stockpile picks. They tried to put what they thought were marquee players around Joey without putting together an O-line. Joey needed a line more than good WR's.

Blame your FO for drafting 3 WRs in the first round. There are other positions besides WR they could and should have drafted.

Rogers was the first WR of the three, so it's hardly fair to use that as a criticism. There are so many other ways to criticize the Rogers pickup, anyway.

Oh, and count me in the 2% that criticized the Rogers draft from the get-go. I saw too many drops from him during his last season at MSU. Mateen Cleaves was a bust too. I hate drafting hometown guys in the first round....it always seems like they're being drafted because of media pressure.

Rogers was the first WR of the three, so it's hardly fair to use that as a criticism. There are so many other ways to criticize the Rogers pickup, anyway.

Oh, and count me in the 2% that criticized the Rogers draft from the get-go. I saw too many drops from him during his last season at MSU. Mateen Cleaves was a bust too. I hate drafting hometown guys in the first round....it always seems like they're being drafted because of media pressure.

I forgot he was the 1st of 3 WR's. Thought he was the middle one. You can look at the games best WR's, and not many of them are taken that high. Larry Fitzgerald is probably the only other current WR taken that high that has panned out. Too soon to call Braylon Edwards a bust, but he hasnt shown much prior to his ACL injury.

Mateen Cleeves was a good college basketball player, not a good NBA player. He couldn't shoot that well and was more of a leader on the court than a go-to-guy. Morris Peterson was the more talented player which is why it makes sense that he is still playing.

Charles Rogers was a great player on a bad team. Charles Rogers has a ton of NFL talent. He lacks the mental game and work ethic. I am sad to see him go but I dont blame the Lions for making this move. Out of fairness tho, it is quite easy to get mixed up in trouble when you get injuried your first two seasons and get paid millions to do nothing. Hell someone give me $1 million right now and watch Detroit turn into Sin City! :yowza:

Still doesn't excuse Rogers for being God Awful.

Anyone care to venture any guess as to what the score of this sunday's game vs. the Seahawks will be? Not me. I am really geeked that the NFL is about to get started(i will more geeked for NHL). I love picking games in my work pool. But I hate wanting to pick the Lions but not feeling safe doing it. I'm always getting burned! I really hope that changes this year.

Edited by Yzerman#19

Anyone care to venture any guess as to what the score of this sunday's game vs. the Seahawks will be? Not me. I am really geeked that the NFL is about to get started(i will more geeked for NHL). I love picking games in my work pool. But I hate wanting to pick the Lions but not feeling safe doing it. I'm always getting burned! I really hope that changes this year.

Way way low expectations....home game against an opponent everyone knows is superior....this one really has all the fingerprints of a game the Lions will win. They'll beat the defending NFC champs at home, probably by a score of 13-7 as the offense sputters horribly but the defense holds it down. With the Seahawks due for a 7-9 season as the Super Bowl losers, the Lions should go ahead and win this one, getting fan expectations way up (but don't worry, Lion lovers, they'll lose five of their next six.) We'll ignore the fact that the offense played like there was toxic waste in the end zone and are likely to continue doing that for half the season and start going "wow, this might be the year!", but next week is a game in Chicago, that'll be a loss for sure against a supposedly "easier" opponent that just happens to be a division rival.

Anyone who picks the Seahawks hasn't watched the Lions for very long.

1-0 for the Stillers. Got a little help from Saban not knowing how to throw the red flag. But we punch in from the 1 even if they over turn it. Unless Batch fumbles again there...doh.

Hope the Lions sneak out a W v the SeaFags. There isnt a whinier bunch of ******* I want to see lose more...ok maybe those morons in Cincitucky.

1-0 for the Stillers. Got a little help from Saban not knowing how to throw the red flag. But we punch in from the 1 even if they over turn it. Unless Batch fumbles again there...doh.

Hope the Lions sneak out a W v the SeaFags. There isnt a whinier bunch of ******* I want to see lose more...ok maybe those morons in Cincitucky.

Stillers?? SeaFags?? Cincitucky??? What league are you watching bro??? The XFL?? Show more respect for the NFL teams. Pretty soon if you keep making "nicknames" for these teams, no one will know what your talking about.

TURN AROUND BRYSON! Jesus... :(

Mike Furrey actually looked pretty damn good out there, itll be nice to have a 3rd reciever who can catch. At least they did take some shots down the field, but every throw seemed to be into double or triple coverage to Roy and not even close. Next week will be the true test, cause if this is the same old Lions they will get annihilated by the Bears.

On the defensive side i really liked what i saw out of Ernie Sims, he was everywhere and made some pretty nice hits. And amazingly Fernando Bryant didnt even get burned at all..

My main problems are these:

Roy Williams and Kevin Jones.

These guys are our offense, they make or break our entire offense. I love the way KJ plays, he's tough and physical and pounds the ball as hard as he can. But he's lost something, 35 yards rushing yesterday? Something needs to change.

I'm growing to dislike Roy A LOT more these days, he's lazy, he doesn't run his routes effectivly and he gives up too easy. There were times yesterday where Roy just looked disinterested, doesn't he realize that he's the focal point of this team on offense? Why does Furrey have to show him up? Furrey? Roy needs to understand that if he truly wants to be great like Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Tory Holt and T.O. he has to WANT the ball. I don't think he wants it enough.

And btw, Shaun Rogers is a MONSTER, he's who we should build this team around, not the guys on the other side of the ball.

I agree on Roy, the dude is lazy on his routes. He's like never on the same page with the QB. I was shocked by that one stat they showed of KJ not having a 100 yrd game since god knows how long. You think he has so many more yards than what he ends up with! Its because he gets 1 good run, then 3 or 4 that are stuffed for negative yardage. I dont know if its him just trying to dance and juke every play or if its the line.