• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

He has his own Website now. Has some nice pics as well. Has a long way to go but could develop into the mold of svatos/hejduk.

Edited by Mighty Wings, 12 August 2006 - 10:14 PM.

#2 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

Was impressive by all accounts at the prospect camp with his high skilled game. Still a little lightweight but has time to fill out. Lets see
how he gets on in Traverse.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#3 spydrwebb

spydrwebb

Hockeytown West

• Gold Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:49 AM

i've heard this kid's name a lot but does anyone know how he did in TC?
he'll likely be at griff's icehouse next week and i can see for myself but i was curious to see how he skated with the big boys.
IPB Image

*live, love, learn... leave a legend*

#4 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

Mursak was fast (he likely is the best skater in our organization at this point) and highly skilled. Not afraid of contact. Pretty impressive according to the folks over at RWC that covered training camp.

He's already with the Saginaw Spirits and picked up an assist in his first game of the OHL season.

Posted Image

#5 spydrwebb

spydrwebb

Hockeytown West

• Gold Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ September 23, 2006 - 10:07AM) View Post

Mursak was fast (he likely is the best skater in our organization at this point) and highly skilled. Not afraid of contact. Pretty impressive according to the folks over at RWC that covered training camp.

He's already with the Saginaw Spirits and picked up an assist in his first game of the OHL season.

thanks for the update. i was hoping to see him in grand rapids but it sounds like he found a home, good for him.
IPB Image

*live, love, learn... leave a legend*

#6 WingMan56

WingMan56

Kronwall owns you

• PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(spydrwebb @ September 23, 2006 - 11:27AM) View Post

thanks for the update. i was hoping to see him in grand rapids but it sounds like he found a home, good for him.

He's too young to play in the AHL. He'd either have to play on the Wings or go to Juniors, so that was his only option pretty much.

#7 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(WingMan56 @ September 23, 2006 - 02:47PM) View Post

He's too young to play in the AHL. He'd either have to play on the Wings or go to Juniors, so that was his only option pretty much.

I'm not sure if that's true or not. He came straight over from Europe and has never played in the CHL (until now). He might have been able to go to the AHL if the Wings felt it was best for him. But they wanted him in Juniors I think.

I say might because he was drafted in the CHL Import draft and I'm not sure how that impacts anythying.

Posted Image

#8 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ September 24, 2006 - 07:59PM) View Post

I'm not sure if that's true or not. He came straight over from Europe and has never played in the CHL (until now). He might have been able to go to the AHL if the Wings felt it was best for him. But they wanted him in Juniors I think.

I say might because he was drafted in the CHL Import draft and I'm not sure how that impacts anythying.

The latter would be correct.

Any player whose rights are held by a CHL team cannot play in the AHL until the age of 20. He could have been drafted and stayed in Europe, and then played in the AHL at age 20 without seeing a day of action in Saginaw. But he couldn't have been in the AHL at 18 or 19, even if he never played for Saginaw.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#9 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:58 PM

I just double checked. The Import Draft means nothing. Bergfors was drafted by a CHL team but he played in the AHL last season at 18/19.

Posted Image

#10 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ September 24, 2006 - 10:58PM) View Post
I just double checked. The Import Draft means nothing. Bergfors was drafted by a CHL team but he played in the AHL last season at 18/19.

Upon further review, Europeans do not fall subject to the age restriction until actually suiting up for a game. As Mursak has played in 2 OHL games this season already, he will not be seeing AHL ice regularly until the age of 20.

#11 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

Not just Europeans. College kids could go the AHL route as well.

Posted Image

#12 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ September 25, 2006 - 10:35AM) View Post
Not just Europeans. College kids could go the AHL route as well.

College kids aren't drafted in the CHL Import Draft, either.

#13 emmerton10

emmerton10

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

1 goal, 8 assists in 7 games for mursak. not too bad for a guys first taste of the CHL.

#14 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

So far 11 games played, 7 G 14 A. Just continues to get better and better. He's looking like a steal already in the 6th rd.

#15 emmerton10

emmerton10

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:02 AM

he got a hattrick and an assist for 4 points in a game a week ago and now has 23 pts in 13 games.

#16 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

just checked his stats this kid is destroying things, probably won't be in the nhl for a few years now but he definatly looks like another draft steal.

#17 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:18 PM

I see Mursak is leading his team in points. Nice. Still, I tend to temper my excitement about junior stats. Nice to see him tearing it up - always better than stinking it up - but offensive numbers tend to be pretty inflated in those leagues.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#18 SpiritFan

SpiritFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

I am from Saginaw & have had the opportunity to see Jan Mursak play many games already this year. This kid is FOR REAL! There is no other way to say this, but he is FAST! I have been going to OHL games for 5 years now ever since we got the team in Saginaw and he is one of the fastest players I have seen yet! He is VERY good w/the puck, as well! It's one thing to be fast, it's another to be fast with the puck! He is among the top 2 or 3 players on the team by far. Tom Pyatt (NYR draft pick) is much improved this year & he is Mursak's linemate & is benefitting from playing alongside Jan. Jan is on his way to setting a new team record in Saginaw for most consecutive games with a point. He's close to the record now - I want to say he's only 1 or 2 games away from that. He has at least a point in each game Saginaw has played this year so far! If anyone has any more questions about him, I am on here a lot & would be happy to answer questions about him.

#19 SpiritFan

SpiritFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

Jan Mursak had a goal & assist yesterday & another assist today (1g, 2a on the weekend) and extended his point streak to 15 - at least one point in EVERY GAME this season - and in doing so set a new Saginaw Spirit record!

...and have I mentioned that this kid is FAST? haha! My word - fast is an understatement!

Edited by SpiritFan, 29 October 2006 - 11:07 PM.

#20 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the update SpiritFan, much appreciated. Well I really like what I’m hearing about this kid; hopefully he can continue putting up good numbers. One of the main attributes the Wings lack is genuine speed, so this gives me hope for the future.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.