• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2006 ALCS: Tigers vs. A's

Rate this topic

I say Lolich to Freehan for Game 1 and Tram to Lou for Game 2.

Sounds good, but has Lou made an appearance at either Tiger Stadium or Comerica since he retired? Remember he and Chet Lemon wouldn't stand for the Star Spangled Banner because for their religious beliefs. I would be a little surprised if Lou come back out on the field and draw attention to himself. Getting a hand by the fans outside of playing ball maybe against his beliefs too, even though he deserves it.

Was anyone listening to 1270 Sunday after 1:00 when someone called in and said Yzerman should throw out one of the first balls? I don't know the name of the radio host since I'm out of town, but he said something like this, "Good idea, but I think if the Cardinals win the NLCS, Kaline will have priority. Horton may get Game 2".

When the fan said Kaline already threw out a first ball, the host added, "Who know's, it may be 'The Captain". Yzerman can do anything he wants in this town. Hell, he can even walk around without and pants and not get arrested".

:hehe: I thought it was funny.

P.S.: Besides, if I had to choose which pitcher not to bat, it'd definitely be Rogers. I don't want the 41-year-old huffing and puffing around the bases, potentially in a warmup jacket....if he's on first, Granderson could hit a double or triple and probably catch up to him.

I agree. Plus, if we are wanting to stick with what works, Rogers should continue to pitch at Comerica, which is why I think he should get Games 2+6.

With that in mind, maybe Bondo should go Game 1, then Rogers, and have Verlander and Robertson pitch in St. Louis ( :rolleyes: I may have jumped the gun because, as I type, Game 6 just started). Bonderman and Rogers have only pitched at home, while Verlander and Robertson have gone on the road.

Whatever Leyland does, I trust him. However, I'd like to see if the series goes 7, Rogers, Bonderman, and Verlander get 2 starts while Robertson throws only one.

Was anyone listening to 1270 Sunday after 1:00 when someone called in and said Yzerman should throw out one of the first balls? I don't know the name of the radio host since I'm out of town, but he said something like this, "Good idea, but I think if the Cardinals win the NLCS, Kaline will have priority. Horton may get Game 2".

When the fan said Kaline already threw out a first ball, the host added, "Who know's, it may be 'The Captain". Yzerman can do anything he wants in this town. Hell, he can even walk around without and pants and not get arrested".

I disagree on having Yzerman throw out the first pitch. For the World Series and a team like the Tigers with such a rich tradition of great players, I would rather see one of them instead of the captain. Yzerman for Opening Day's first pitch would be sweet tho...but not in the world series.

I disagree on having Yzerman throw out the first pitch. For the World Series and a team like the Tigers with such a rich tradition of great players, I would rather see one of them instead of the captain. Yzerman for Opening Day's first pitch would be sweet tho...but not in the world series.

I agree. Nothing against "The Captain", but one of the popular ex-Tiger players should be out there.

Still a funny quote by the host about not wearing pants.

Well, we find out tonight who the opponent will be. Game 7. Who's everyone pulling for? Me, I think I'm leaning toward the Cardinals.

I'd rather see the Cards as well. The Tigers have history with the Cards, losing to them in the 34 World Series and beating them in 68. Plus they're a franchise with a lot of history, like Detroit. So it would be cool to see a couple old school teams going at it.

OMG could the NLCS drag on any longer? two rain outs, and the inevitable game 7 between these two teams. Tonights game will obviously be the most exciting since there will actually be closure and we'll find out who the opponent is for the WS. I don't feel real strongly about it, but the Cardinals would be my choice. I have to consider all the possibilites and I don't think I could stomach losing to the Mets.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_en_..._series_pregame

Bob Seger and Anita Baker are going to sing - Seger will do "America the Beautiful" before Game 1, with Al Kaline and Willie Horton throwing out the first pitch, and Mike Ilitch and Ernie Harwell on the mound as well. For Game 2, Baker will sing the anthem, and the first pitch will be Sparky Anderson, with Alan Trammell on the mound also.

Sounds good to me :thumbup:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_en_..._series_pregame

Bob Seger and Anita Baker are going to sing - Seger will do "America the Beautiful" before Game 1, with Al Kaline and Willie Horton throwing out the first pitch, and Mike Ilitch and Ernie Harwell on the mound as well. For Game 2, Baker will sing the anthem, and the first pitch will be Sparky Anderson, with Alan Trammell on the mound also.

Sounds good to me :thumbup:

I agree. Nice to see Detroit's best show up for the big event.

I'm really glad that Tramm is going to be there.

If I hear one boo directed toward Trammell, I will make it my life's mission to track that person down and make them pay...

I will applaud Tram the say way I would cheer for Nick Lidstrom. Tram devoted his baseball career to the Tigers and was a damn fine player. The 1984 World Series MVP deserves to be there.

I'm really glad that Tramm is going to be there.

If I hear one boo directed toward Trammell, I will make it my life's mission to track that person down and make them pay...

Honestly, I think Rob Parker is the only idiot in town to have any thoughts of holding a grudge against Tram. Everyone knows the team that Tram was given was not a good team, especially in 2003.

And I don't even hold 2003 against anyone. 2003, believe it or not, is one of my favorite Tiger seasons. '03 is why I'm such a fan of guys like Maroth and Inge.

Hey, by the way, this Game 7 is pretty good. 2 outs, bottom of the 9th, Mets down 3-1 but the bases are loaded and Beltran's at the plate.....

Edit: It's over - rookie closer Adam Wainwright absolutely freezes Beltran with a breaking ball. Cardinals win the pennant. Tigers-Cardinals, baby! Old-school.