• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeta Power 40

Ryan Smyth

Rate this topic

They have a big 7 game road trip coming up, this i think will make or break there season

While that is true, Edmonton usually plays its best hockey in March and April. Last year they had a better road record than at home so I still think they won't trade Smyth.

If Edmonton een considers trading him, he could probably be had for something like Williams/Lebda/2nd or something of similar value. Those are offensively-apt guys who would fit in perfectly with Edmonton's system, are young, and are not terribly expensive.

I'm sure my inclusion of Lebda will incite riots, since he is apprently untouchable according to some other posters on this thread...

Guest Crymson

If Edmonton een considers trading him, he could probably be had for something like Williams/Lebda/2nd or something of similar value. Those are offensively-apt guys who would fit in perfectly with Edmonton's system, are young, and are not terribly expensive.

I'm sure my inclusion of Lebda will incite riots, since he is apprently untouchable according to some other posters on this thread...

Lebda is an incredible defenseman. Along with Kronwall and perhaps Kindl, he is the future of the Wings` defense.

It is not worth trading Lebda for a bit of temporary security. We shouldn't trade away our future for a player who ain't a slam dunk, and ain't gonna be around for a long time.

They have a big 7 game road trip coming up, this i think will make or break there season

They will play 3 of those games before the trade deadline. That is not nearly enough to make or break a season. If they trade Smyth, they'll be likely throwing away their season period.

We don't need Smyth. He'd be good and all, but we already have his work ethic in guys like Cleary, Franzen, and Draper, and we already have his ability to play in the crease in Holmstrom.

We don't need Smyth. He'd be good and all, but we already have his work ethic in guys like Cleary, Franzen, and Draper, and we already have his ability to play in the crease in Holmstrom.

Ryan Smyth is equivalent to 3 of those guys COMBINED.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Guest Crymson

Ryan Smyth is equivalent to 3 of those guys COMBINED.

Disagree.

What we don't have is a guy whose goals per game average is top five in the league. ;)

We've nearly never had that. What we've had is MANY guys who are very above-average. Look even back to the all-star team in 2002, and you'll see none of our players in the top 20, but maybe 6 or 7 in the top 50. This team has historically built success with contributions from everyone--the threat from all four lines has equaled success.

Edited by Crymson

Lebda is an incredible defenseman. Along with Kronwall and perhaps Kindl, he is the future of the Wings` defense.

It is not worth trading Lebda for a bit of temporary security. We shouldn't trade away our future for a player who ain't a slam dunk, and ain't gonna be around for a long time.

Kronwall is a top three defenseman now and is likely going to be the cornerstone of the Wings' D for many years. Kindl is a top defensive prospect with top-two potential.

Both of those guys are skilled offensive defenseman with solid physical and defensive aspects. Lebda only brings the offense, he doesn't have the physical game or the defensive ability. Nor does he have Kronwall's offensive capability.

It's attitudes like yours that are exactly why Lebda SHOULD go in a trade for a guy like Smyth--because of better-than-expected performance the past year, Lebda's value is riding high compared to his actual potential.

It's not that I don't like Lebda. The biggest 'weakness' that the Wings have had in the postseason the past few years is that they can't beat the trap with dump and chase because they have a limited number of guys who can get the puck in the corners, and they don't crash the net often enough. A trade like I suggested for Smyth would solve both problems, without creating any holes.

Yes, but at the same time, you can't ignore the present and hold out for the future. A team in the Wings position has the goal to win the Cup this year. It's not a rebuilding year. If you have to trade a prospect or two in order to get a player that's going to help win the Cup now, you do it. I'm not saying completely mortgage the future, but you can't sit on your hands saying "we can't trade Player X, he might turn into a good player in a few years" if trading him meant getting a player that would make an immediate impact.

Of course, I suppose it's a moot point when it comes to Smyth, since I can't see him coming here.

Guest Crymson

It's not that I don't like Lebda. The biggest 'weakness' that the Wings have had in the postseason the past few years is that they can't beat the trap with dump and chase because they have a limited number of guys who can get the puck in the corners, and they don't crash the net often enough. A trade like I suggested for Smyth would solve both problems, without creating any holes.

.... except the massive one in our defense, which would be filled with Lilja..

Do you think THAT would help our playoff chances?

Edited by Crymson

We've nearly never had that. What we've had is MANY guys who are very above-average. Look even back to the all-star team in 2002, and you'll see none of our players in the top 20, but maybe 6 or 7 in the top 50. This team has historically built success with contributions from everyone--the threat from all four lines has equaled success.

I know what you mean, I was sort of being facetious. Smyth's numbers would likely take a bit of a drop if he were on Detroit's roster.

As far as the comparison with the Uber Team goes, well, it's tough to say that guys like Fedorov and Shanahan were just "above average." Yes, it's always been a team thing, but the players on that were all so good at goal scoring that only Shanny was in the top 20. This year isn't the case at all; it's not overloaded with scorers, it's looking for some outside of one mega line.

Add Smyth to the 2007 Wings and I guarantee you get a much bigger impact than if you were to put him on the 2002 Wings.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Guest Crymson

Well , doan has his contract , Smyth will want more and the oil wont want to pay , the road trip is going bad , we'll have to see

.... in the next 7 days? Keep dreaming. Do you really think we'll give them much for a rental?

Yeah , thats true , if the Oilwont shell out 5 million , we wont either

That's why it's called a rental.

.... except the massive one in our defense, which would be filled with Lilja..

Do you think THAT would help our playoff chances?

Smyth>Williams outweighs Lebda>Lilja.

ryan smith is captain canada he is loves edmonton and i can assure the oilers will resign him he is the heart of their team and a fan fav.

Guest Crymson

Well i didn't help out the oilers cause with losing last night, and the Canucks getting 2 points tonight and the wild getting a point too

The Oilers lost in OT.

That's why it's called a rental.

Smyth>Williams outweighs Lebda>Lilja.

I'd rather swallow razor blades than start Lilja in the playoffs. I'm sure many will agree--apparently Holland does, as per spending $2.5m on Markov.

Kronwall is a top three defenseman now and is likely going to be the cornerstone of the Wings' D for many years.

What makes you say that? I get tired of hearing people state that like it's a fact without any support. What exactly to does Kronwall do that makes him a top 3 defenseman in your eyes?

As far as Lebda is concerned, I think he's pretty solid defensively. He's smart and he's modeling his game after Chelios which I think is great. His offense isn't great but he's still playing well above what we all though he was capable of.

My god who the hell is good? Who do the wings need everytime i read these they say a guys name, THen everyone we dont need him. You cant put draper cleary even in the same boat as smyth you know you would be the first to be all happy about him coming to DET

I we get Smyth, it would be like when we got Luc in 2002.

Getting Smyth would be a dream since he's a hometown boy in Edmonton, but you never know. After Forsberg went to Nashville, I think Holland is going to pull off something huge!!

I'm just thinking outloud here, but if Datsyuk leaves at the end of the year, we'd have money available to sign Smyth long term. :cool: