• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

1270 Sports: Babcock says "players will be dealt"

Rate this topic

Babcock said after practice today that the players discussed in trade talks will be dealt - inside info? Maybe a new wing for the weekend?

I dont understand. What context did he say that in? Did he mean our players will be dealt or rumored names around the league will be dealt? Did he say this after practice or did he mean the players will be dealt after practice?

Mac doesn't make much, but I believe it has to be somewhere around .5 million, so having said that, the move makes sense on both levels, and it COULD be related. For one, why send Mac down now, Dom and Ozzie are healthy yes, but in order to get Mac back, he'd have to clear waivers again, right? So could we be clearing his half million salary off of the cap in order to make room for a move or two? It's very likely I would think. Cause if Holland wants to add two players, you gotta think he'd be looking at Guerin, Tkachuk, and as a secondary player now - Laraque - who I hope we can get cause he would be an excellent addition to our fourth line and be the goon type of guy we are looking for. We could get him for a mid round pick I would think as well.

Oh and it creates an open roster spot to add the new player... PLEASE TKACHUK or GUERIN!!!!!

Two is what I'm thinking. The Wings have plenty of room for one player, its a second that that small amount of cap space might require.

As was stated in the other thread, Mac was sent down cuz now, with a total of 4 healthy goalies ( Dom, Ozzie, Howard, Mac), one has to go down.

It isn't even related.

Then why carry three to begin the season with in the first place? And don't say in case Dom or Ozzie go down, because no team likes to carry three goalies until this point.

Ansar Kahn weighs in:

MacDonald put on waivers; precursor to a trade?

The Wings announced that goaltender Joey MacDonald has been placed on waivers Friday afternoon. He has until Saturday afternoon to clear, which he likely will, and then he can be assigned to Grand Rapids (AHL).

It appears the Wings are clearing up some salary cap space, or perhaps a roster spot, for a move or two before Tuesday's trading deadline. Even though MacDonald doesn't make much, the Wings would be right up against the cap if they acquired a $5 million-plus player like Keith Tkachuk or Todd Bertuzzi without clearing a little space.

The timing is odd because you'd figure they'd want MacDonald to back-up Chris Osgood Saturday in Nashville instead of bringing Dominik Hasek along on the trip. MacDonald might still be around. If he clears waivers, the team doesn't have to send him down right away, or even at all.

Bill Guerin or Tkachuk of the Blues still appears to be at the top of their wish list. Florida's Bertuzzi, who had back surgery in November, might not play before Tuesday, which might kill any potential trade possibilty.

Okay I just heard from a TSN podcast, that the Blues are staying the course.

Meaning that they are not making any moves unless the high price of a first and a prospect is met.

This will change if they slip more.

So anyone thinking that a trade between the Wings and Blues is going to happen, I wouldn't count on it until after Sunday's Game between them and the Hawks.

IF they lose the price might fall. If not, then someone is going to prob pay the price for Guerin and Tkachuck.

Okay I just heard from a TSN podcast, that the Blues are staying the course.

Meaning that they are not making any moves unless the high price of a first and a prospect is met.

This will change if they slip more.

So anyone thinking that a trade between the Wings and Blues is going to happen, I wouldn't count on it until after Sunday's Game between them and the Hawks.

IF they lose the price might fall. If not, then someone is going to prob pay the price for Guerin and Tkachuck.

That all could be cheap talk. Who knows. Gm's are known to say stuff like that.

I dont understand. What context did he say that in? Did he mean our players will be dealt or rumored names around the league will be dealt? Did he say this after practice or did he mean the players will be dealt after practice?

I didn't get it either. I'm taking it as he's just saying that the rumored players around the leauge will be moved, with the Wings in the mix or not. Although, I wish it were Holland making these statements instead of the coach...

They just played the audio, Babcock said "players on selling teams will be moved." So he wasn't referring to any Red Wing players being moved .

Edited by Mighty Wings

The Blues are screwed with their demandings. Red Wings is the only team which has enough free cap space. Only one buyer --> low price. Their just bluffing.

Plenty of teams have enough cap space. Off the top of my head I know that Atlanta and Anaheim do.

Bill Guerin to Islanders (e4)Today @ 3:55 PM ET | Comments (85)

Following up on a report that came from Barry Melrose on WFAN in NY here. Barry stated the Islanders were close to a deal for Guerin....I talked to a source that confirmed the Isles as one of the final two teams....The other ????????

Stay tuned...

Also the Seabrook battle is raging....

I'll be here in the office....

Following up on a report that came from Barry Melrose on WFAN in NY here. Barry stated the Islanders were close to a deal for Guerin....I talked to a source that confirmed the Isles as one of the final two teams....The other ????????

Stay tuned...

:thumbdown:

Barry Melrose hates the Wings. He's probably saying that just to make me mad.

I could see Guerin staying with the Wings for a couple years. I don't know why, it just seems like something that would happen.

Stay tuned...

I wonder why in the bluef*** he would go to the Islanders, a team that may not even make the dance????? That just seems foolish, I'll be pist if he goes there!!!!!!

You mean Lang, Willimas, Hudler, Draper, Maltby, Datsyuk, Lilja, and Schneider are all going to be traded?

Because these have been the players we've discussed.

Man, I bet it's tiring for Babs to wade through these pages of rumours on the forum. It seems like he'd have been better off just to read what the major hockey news speculators were saying and refer to that. *sigh* Too bad he didn't have me to tell him that :(

Now that's a lateral career move.