• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

IDLE19

if pittsburg goes out west...

Rate this topic

Yes, Yes! I'd take 6 Detroit and Toronto/Habs games in one year over 20 Nashville games.

No comparison, Detroit vs Toronto is the best rilvary going back in Redwing History. Period.

Yes, Yes! I'd take 6 Detroit and Toronto/Habs games in one year over 20 Nashville games.

No comparison, Detroit vs Toronto is the best rilvary going back in Redwing History. Period.

I was telling my friends last night that they should do a Wings/Leafs game at Michigan Stadium. Probably the only match-up that would come close to selling out 110k seats.

I'd rather have the Leafs come back west than have the Wings go east. Overall I don't like that many teams in the Eastern conference, and I would miss playing teams like Vancouver, Dallas, and Colorado as much.

That would suck for me as I get 4 Wings games out here because of the Ducks and Kings and have traveled to Nashville the past 2 seasons to see the Wings as well.

Haha, I was getting worried, ... it has been a solid 2 1/2 weeks since this last came up. And ... NO!!! I know that is nothin more than my own opinion. Detroit has been and still is very important to the western conference.

I believe in one of the past threads about this topic it was pretty solidly determined that Columbus would be moving east if that were to happen.

I thought Detroit's game vs. Toronto was incredibly entertaining this year, and I think an effort should be made during the summer when considering reschedueling, to have teams with historical importance (like those two) to play eachother more even without a conference shift.

Consider this guys ... If Pitts does move, our division will have Nashville, Kansas City, and Detroit. We will have a kick ass division to watch. Lots of entertainment, heated battles fighting for playoff spots. Could be great.

Can someone please tell me why playing the other original teams means absolutely anything anymore??? It did way back when...how are those rivalries any different now than the Colorado rivalry??

People need to realize that the games against them are not more exciting than any other game. I'm sorry but the games against Toronto and Montreal were nothing special this year.

I'll pick staying in the West and watching Crosby/Malkin/Staal 8 times a year than facing the players on Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and New York any day of the week.

Edited by WhiteLightning91

That would suck for me as I get 4 Wings games out here because of the Ducks and Kings and have traveled to Nashville the past 2 seasons to see the Wings as well.

You could always move to Michigan.

Last night on Hockey Night in Canada, they were saying that Pittsburgh is probably going to get a new arena deal, so don't expect the Wings to move East.

That's what I heard four months ago and still no progress.

Can someone please tell me why playing the other original teams means absolutely anything anymore??? It did way back when...how are those rivalries any different now than the Colorado rivalry??

People need to realize that the games against them are not more exciting than any other game. I'm sorry but the games against Toronto and Montreal were nothing special this year.

I'll pick staying in the West and watching Crosby/Malkin/Staal 8 times a year than facing the players on Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and New York any day of the week.

I would rather have 7:30 P.M. gametime starts in regular and playoff season then watch Crosby/Malkin/Staal 8 times. Even though those guys are fun to watch but staying up past 1.a.m. to watch hockey isn't fun.

From what I understand as this topic has developed over the past few months: Pittsburgh is not going to move..... I was leaning towards the side of hoping that they do move (I like change). However, it doesn't look like they will......

No thanks to the Eastern Conference, I like the West better. Plus as mentioned before, we're the top team in the West revenue wise and it wouldn't be healthy for the League to move us East. Seriously, other than the core team's fans, who's going to pay any attention to the Western Conference if the Wings move East? All the best markets will be in one Conference (Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Philly, NYR, Boston,).

I really hope the media will stop writting/talking about this. The League itself has said the Wings are to important to the West, Develano has agreed to it as well. Columbus would be the team to move.

What the League needs to do is go back to the pre-lockout schedule.

They also said on CBC that we weren't hearing much BECAUSE they were making progress. The "impasse" seems to be working.

The city of Pittsburgh would be a bunch of idiots if they let Crosby and Malkin go. They'll get something done. Edit: The Pens are guaranteed to win a couple Championships in the near future.

Edited by Barrie

Guest LivingtheDream

Can someone tell me if they think having Detroit in the east would be be better, worse or the same for the NHL overall. Meaning, would it sell more tickets out East and/or less in the West. Face it, people flock to see the Wings, especially out East. THen again I think whatever is "best for the game and NHL" and then realize Bettman would do the exact opposite. Kind of like George on Seinfeld that time he decided to do exactly he opposite of whatever he would usually do. Maybe Bettman should try that!

For the 1000th time, the Wings aren't going east; this franchise is the lynchpin of the entire western conference. Regardless of what happens with the Penguins (and I would be very surprised if the actually move) the west needs the Wings where they are & the league just needs to schedule a few more Montreal / Toronto / Detroit games for good measure.

if anything i think that nashville or columbus should be in the East before detroit should be even mentioned. geographically coumbus is more east than detroit. and they, well, suck.

Guest Don Corleone

Personally I'd hate to see Detroit go east because I like the Blues=Wings matchups.

If the Wings bring the money to the West then why not move Toronto or some other big market team from the East into the West to double that money to generate in the West and send Nashville and Columbus to the East.

It's not just about geography & revenue, the success of the RedWings franchise over the last ten years makes it one of the few nationally recongized pro hockey teams in the US (sadly). They are the stuff that marketing plans are made of and that is where the real value of having them frequently play out west lies.

If the Wings spent most of their time in the east, the league would pretty much risk losing the relevance of the western conference as a whole until the cup finals. Not even Bettman is that stupid.

Not to mention the obvious fact that all of the strongest US hockey markets are in the eastern part of the continent already. There just isn't any need for Detroit to be included in that group when they can generate more interest out west. Case in point, we see time & time again the Wings helping to draw crowds out west simply by virtue of their very presence on the ice. I would rather see Toronto in our division again somehow, even if it meant re-thining the whole eastern/western conference by geography concept.

By the same token, imagine if eastern teams like Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NJ & Carolina played more games out west as well. It would accomplish the same thing as Detroit playing on the west coast and allow the Wings to mix it up with more of the eastern teams. It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

If the Wings bring the money to the West then why not move Toronto or some other big market team from the East into the West to double that money to generate in the West and send Nashville and Columbus to the East.

Because Ottawa cries enough as it is, they'd bawl if the Leafs went West. The Leafs are one of their few guaranteed sellouts, along with Montreal and now Buffalo.

Besides, the Leafs campaigned for years to get into the same division as Montreal and Ottawa, they wouldn't go back without a fight. With the Leafs paying in excess of $10 million into the revenue sharing pie as it is, there's no need to move them anywhere.

That said, they definitely want to have more Western Canada trips.

Also, the Leafs wouldn't draw in places like California.

if anything i think that nashville or columbus should be in the East before detroit should be even mentioned. geographically coumbus is more east than detroit. and they, well, suck.

Atlanta being in the Eastern Conference makes the geography argument moot.