• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwing711

Nashville ... Catfish?

Rate this topic

This may be in the GDT, but honestly didn't feel like reading through 50 pages of posts. This is the 2nd game against Nashville in Nashville that I've seen them throw fish out on the ice. They have no history, so no tradition, but putting that aside, what could possibly the reason for throwing catfish. At least the octopi have a reason behind them. Maybe they are throwing catfish because they can't get their hands on a whole tuna. Anyone know what it's about?

It's their tradition in their short history of decade. Let them have it and enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

It's no better/worse than Wings fans throwing octopi out on the ice or Panthers fans throwing plastic rats on the ice back in the mid/late 90s.

It's their tradition in their short history of decade. Let them have it and enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

It's no better/worse than Wings fans throwing octopi out on the ice or Panthers fans throwing plastic rats on the ice back in the mid/late 90s.

go on the nashy forum and ask. make sure u have the white flag up or the hill billies will slack jaw lingo you to death :lol: seriousely though do it!

This may be in the GDT, but honestly didn't feel like reading through 50 pages of posts. This is the 2nd game against Nashville in Nashville that I've seen them throw fish out on the ice. They have no history, so no tradition, but putting that aside, what could possibly the reason for throwing catfish. At least the octopi have a reason behind them. Maybe they are throwing catfish because they can't get their hands on a whole tuna. Anyone know what it's about?

Its obviously a feeble attempt to mimic the octopus, the Nashville Predator's fans unlike 28 other teams in the NHL can't stand to not have something to throw on the ice.

go on the nashy forum and ask. make sure u have the white flag up or the hill billies will slack jaw lingo you to death :lol: seriousely though do it!

I'll pass as I really don't care what their fans think.

And for the love of God can the hillbilly/redneck crap from everybody. Not everybody from the South are those types of people so enough already.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Catfish is popular in the south, so maybe to show southern pride or something they chose Catfish to throw.

Also, its possible that since the team is named after a sabertoothed-CAT fossil found in Nashville someone decided to throw a CATfish.

I can understand the rubber rat throwing in Sunrise but this seems like copying us.

Not directly attacking you Kass, but seriously guys/gals, who really cares if it is "copying" the Wings.

It is their tradition/things that they do to make them stand out. It's not classless, there's nothing wrong, let it be their identity.

It's not copying Detroit's tradition, and it's not all about how someone/something slights the Red Wings. Other teams' fans can throw different objects on the ice as well.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

If it gets people interested in hockey, I have no problem with it. Just the fact that people here are talking about it and taking shots at the Nashville fans for copying the octopus is a good thing if you ask me.

there doesn't seem to be any real logic at least according to Wikipedia, seems like they were just trying to copy us:

"Fans of the Nashville Predators have created their own unique tradition to show their support: on occasion, a fan will throw a catfish onto the ice. The Tennessean newspaper in Nashville cites the first instance of this on October 30, 2003. At least four catfish were thrown onto the ice after the first Nashville goal on November 13, 2003.

The Detroit Red Wings have a similar tradition where fans throw octopuses onto the ice, with the creature's eight legs symbolizing the eight wins it once took the Red Wings to win the Stanley Cup. It is likely a fan decided to create a Southern tradition, and the catfish — a Southern trademark — was a fairly logical choice."

Edit: I looked just to make sure and the October 30th game they say was the start was against the Wings. Which pretty much means it was just to rip off the tradition of the Wings.

Edited by drw13

Simply put, is it copying us? Almost definitely.

Is it hurting anyone? Nope, so what's the problem?

I agree with the notion that people are using this thread as a chance to take shots at another teams fanbase which is classless no matter what fans you're targetting. So until an errant catfish catches one of our players by surprise and injures them, I have no problem with them trying to establish a tradition.

Is it not a 2 minute minor for delay of game when fans throw things onto the ice? Just wondering here

Only if done in excess I believe. It occuring once in a game is rarely ever a problem.

I'll pass as I really don't care what their fans think.

And for the love of God can the hillbilly/redneck crap from everybody. Not everybody from the South are those types of people so enough already.

uhhhh yes they are! except for people from LA :hehe:

Only if done in excess I believe. It occuring once in a game is rarely ever a problem.

Then IMO, they should have gotten a delay of game penalty in the 3rd period. I think their announcers said there were 4 or 5 catfish thrown onto the ice. Seems like it is in excess to me :P

Then IMO, they should have gotten a delay of game penalty in the 3rd period. I think their announcers said there were 4 or 5 catfish thrown onto the ice. Seems like it is in excess to me :P

Honestly, that's what I thought too. If they had thrown one on the first Preds goal, fine. Thrown another on the second Preds goal? Also fine.

But five at once. That seems excessive and I can't remember five octopi ever hitting the ice at one time like that. Seemed like any more than two would have nailed us with a delay of game penalty.

No matter...we won and the fans at the Gaylord Entertainment Center looked silly (especially considering they threw the fish out on the ice when they were down 3-1 and not even to celebrate a goal).

How do they get the catfish into the arena, and where do they hide it? :blink:

I mean they check the purses of the women and what not and bags and stuff so that means they have to hide it where the sun doesn't shine... :ph34r:

Guest Tunbo Batman

poor predators. they are trying so hard. way too hard actually. they are making fools of themselves.

PLAY HOCKEY AND STOP IT WITH THE GIMMICKS.

How do they get the catfish into the arena, and where do they hide it? :blink:

I mean they check the purses of the women and what not and bags and stuff so that means they have to hide it where the sun doesn't shine... :ph34r:

I've often wondered that, not so much with Catfish but with the Octopus, has anyone here ever snuck a Octopus into the Joe? and if so, how did you do it?

Edited by Elshupacabra