• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwing711

Nashville ... Catfish?

Rate this topic

I was once told by some preds fans that the throwing of catfish on the ice was to symbolize Jiri Fischer aka to them "dead fish". How much truth do you suppose is behind this one, cause when they told me this it pissed me right off.

Recall: we did lose Fischer in a game with the preds.

I doubt that is it because that would be very disrespectfull.

LMAO BlakChamber considering this topic is not even in the same ball park to the one you mention. Someone seems to have issues and needs to let things go.

Edited by Jwo

I don't understand why you can't just let us have something like that. Aren't you the least bit honored that the Red Wings are the team to mimic?

Also, I really wish you all could get past the stereotype of people from Nashville being inbred rednecks. I feel like it hinders us from having intelligent conversations about hockey. It's just stupid. I go to a top university and my hometown is in the top 10 for wealthiest cities per capita. I just really wish everyone could get past the stereotypes for both cities. Not everyone in Detroit is a poverty-stricken criminal, nor does everyone in Nashville sleep with their sister.

I can't wait for the game tonight...I hope it lives up to the hype!

I said the same things as you just did. And I'm a Wings fan. Other posters stated these ideas as well.

I said the same things as you just did. And I'm a Wings fan. Other posters stated these ideas as well.

I don't care if they have a tradition like that.... Though pred fans have a few traditions. I think they are the only team that says you suck when their team scores. (still think they should cheer for the scorer) If they are mimickng us, cool! At least as a pred fan know why you do that. At least we know why we throw octupi on the ice. Just seems like they try to hard to start traditions. Let them come. They also have a song that was writtin and recorded to tease Red Wing fans... Seems to me they are getting a tradition started on being the worst sports of the league. :ph34r:

I don't care if they have a tradition like that.... Though pred fans have a few traditions. I think they are the only team that says you suck when their team scores. (still think they should cheer for the scorer) If they are mimickng us, cool! At least as a pred fan know why you do that. At least we know why we throw octupi on the ice. Just seems like they try to hard to start traditions. Let them come. They also have a song that was writtin and recorded to tease Red Wing fans... Seems to me they are getting a tradition started on being the worst sports of the league. :ph34r:

A lot of teams fans do the "You Suck!" thing in the Gary Glitter song (or the " Hey" song if you prefer to call it that). I don't know how many NHL teams fans do it, but quite a few minor league teams fans do it.

I was once told by some preds fans that the throwing of catfish on the ice was to symbolize Jiri Fischer aka to them "dead fish". How much truth do you suppose is behind this one, cause when they told me this it pissed me right off.

Recall: we did lose Fischer in a game with the preds.

If that is the case, Nashville fans are very very low. I mean to make fun of a guy who almost lost his life? They should have their asses kicked.

If that is the case, Nashville fans are very very low. I mean to make fun of a guy who almost lost his life? They should have their asses kicked.

Did you miss the part where it was stated that the catfish started before the Fischer game?

Not directly attacking you Kass, but seriously guys/gals, who really cares if it is "copying" the Wings.

It is their tradition/things that they do to make them stand out. It's not classless, there's nothing wrong, let it be their identity.

It's not copying Detroit's tradition, and it's not all about how someone/something slights the Red Wings. Other teams' fans can throw different objects on the ice as well.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

And, furthermore, if they are directly copying us, I'm more proud than ticked.

I agree, it's freakin stupid. Stop throwing the stupid catfish. I'm a Preds fan BTW.

Well Preds fan, no disrespect. It seems that some people think the point of this thread was to trash Pred fans. I honestly wanted to know why they do it. I did go to the Nashville boards last night and ask and someone told me it began because they started out as bottom feeders and the idea just stuck.

Hey...if they want to copy our awesome traditions...let them. Besides, Octopi are by far the most badass thing ever thrown onto the NHL ice surface.

Florida threw plastic rats...that's lamer than catfish. At least catfish have some significance to the Nashville region.

I thought the rats were to symbolize feeding the cat (so to speak) since their team is the Panthers?

And I'm sure that the Nashville team owners encourage the growth of traditions... they're trying to become established in a non-traditional market.

Im tyring to figure out before Sat how i can get it in the arena.. im sitting in section 324

If anyone has any idea's on how Wingslogo19 could get an Octi into GM place, put them out there. When taking them to the Joe ... does security try to stop you or do they let it go??? But this is foreign territory, will have to be pulled off perfectly.

You need to tell Fox Sports South that...it seems every game they air against the Wings, they're interviewing some guy in the crowd that, unfortunately, fits that stereotype. Last night's "Grief Couseler" (sic) was a prime example of that. I was seriously waiting for a "Git R Done!" to escape his lips, that's how bad it was.

Thankfully, most of the Preds fans we get around here are articulate and intelligent, such as yourself (although, your choice of team to root for... :P) and manage to break away from that stereotype.

While I'm at it...I live in Jersey. I mean, Joisey. And I'm in the mafia. And I drive on the Turnpike. And I like tollbooths. :D

my favorite part was when the announcer asked if it was spelled wrong on purpose just to save that guys ass.

A lot of teams fans do the "You Suck!" thing in the Gary Glitter song (or the " Hey" song if you prefer to call it that). I don't know how many NHL teams fans do it, but quite a few minor league teams fans do it.

i prefer to call it Rock & Roll part 2

If anyone has any idea's on how Wingslogo19 could get an Octi into GM place, put them out there. When taking them to the Joe ... does security try to stop you or do they let it go??? But this is foreign territory, will have to be pulled off perfectly.

It's not that hard. All you need is a big baggy hockey jersey and some Saran Wrap. Wear a t-shirt you don't mind getting a wee bit slimy (though, if you boil the octopus beforehand, which you're supposed to do, it's more rubbery than slimy). Wrap the octopus around yourself like it's giving you a big ol' hug, then wrap the Saran tightly around the octopus. If you boiled it good, it won't smell and give you away. Then put the jersey on over top. You can bring a bag if you like, let arena security search the bag and make them feel like they've done their job on you, then head to the mens room and stuff the octopus in the bag. Voila, you have snuck an octopus inside.

I thought the rats were to symbolize feeding the cat (so to speak) since their team is the Panthers?

Nope.

From wikipedia

Also during that season, a very unusual goal celebration developed in Miami. On the night of the Panthers' '95-'96 home opener, a rat scurried across the Florida locker room. Mellanby reacted by "one-timing" the rat against the wall, killing it [1]. That night he scored two goals, which Vanbiesbrouck quipped was "a rat trick". Two nights later, as the story found its way into the world, a few fans threw rubber rats on the ice in celebration of a goal. The rubber rat count went from 16 for the third home game to over 2,000 during the playoffs.

You need to tell Fox Sports South that...it seems every game they air against the Wings, they're interviewing some guy in the crowd that, unfortunately, fits that stereotype. Last night's "Grief Couseler" (sic) was a prime example of that. I was seriously waiting for a "Git R Done!" to escape his lips, that's how bad it was.

Thankfully, most of the Preds fans we get around here are articulate and intelligent, such as yourself (although, your choice of team to root for... :P) and manage to break away from that stereotype.

While I'm at it...I live in Jersey. I mean, Joisey. And I'm in the mafia. And I drive on the Turnpike. And I like tollbooths. :D

Oh I completely agree. It's almost like they purposefully seek those ratty fans out. I hang my head in shame when I see stuff like that. Don't get me wrong...there are still quite a few dumbass Preds fans who still don't understand hockey after 10 years of having an NHL team. But hockey is starting to become part of the community around here. Youth and High School involvement is growing at a rapid pace. If only the local businesses could get their heads out of their asses and see how beneficial the Preds are to them.

Oh and we aren't helping get rid of our stereotypes when we have NASCAR promotion nights and Best Mullet contests, with Billy Ray Cyrus performing during the intermissions. Billy Ray Cyrus is the worst thing that has ever happened to music. That is all.

Go Preds!

Also during that season, a very unusual goal celebration developed in Miami. On the night of the Panthers' '95-'96 home opener, a rat scurried across the Florida locker room. Mellanby reacted by "one-timing" the rat against the wall, killing it [1]. That night he scored two goals, which Vanbiesbrouck quipped was "a rat trick".

That is sick! Scott Mellanby, pest exterminator extraordinaire... you've gotta be kidding me. :yowza:

Also, betterRED, that is awesome! It also just makes me think of a past article from a while ago on the "correct manner" in which to throw the octopi, as apparently they have a different physics than lobbing any regular ol' object. I honestly forget how it's supposed to go to ensure on-ice impact.

How do they get the catfish into the arena, and where do they hide it? :blink:

I mean they check the purses of the women and what not and bags and stuff so that means they have to hide it where the sun doesn't shine... :ph34r:

Same kind of places Wings fans hide octopi I suppose. At least a fish is less slimy than an octopus.

wether its a tradition or its gonna be a tradition, if its copying us detroit fans, if its copying the panthers, or any type of example like that its still a really lame idea so to the person who threw the first cat fish on the ice at GAYlord Entertainment Center you're a dumbass. :P

wether its a tradition or its gonna be a tradition, if its copying us detroit fans, if its copying the panthers, or any type of example like that its still a really lame idea so to the person who threw the first cat fish on the ice at GAYlord Entertainment Center you're a dumbass. :P

The funniest thing though is that of all the things to spend a moment and have an opinion on, out of all the things in life and existence:

People debating that "throwing catfish is dumb" has got to take it for Super Unimportant Topics To Talk About. They do what they do, who cares? I'm lead to conclude only this: More people need to get out of their houses.

The funniest thing though is that of all the things to spend a moment and have an opinion on, out of all the things in life and existence:

People debating that "throwing catfish is dumb" has got to take it for Super Unimportant Topics To Talk About. They do what they do, who cares? I'm lead to conclude only this: More people need to get out of their houses.

I can 2nd this.

And let me play devil's advocate here...

Many Wings fans in here don't claim Nashville games to be a big rivalry yet. Some don't think anything of it at all.

If that's the case, why is this thread roughly 100 responses long? Why, if Nashville is supposedly not a rival, is this deal with catfish getting so much talk? Is it because they can't have anything of their own? Is it because, heaven forbid, some here think Detroit's traditions might be challenged by another franchise?

If they aren't a rival, then why is something seemingly mundane as tthrowing catfish such a big deal to many then? Looks like Nashville might be turning into a decent rival for Detroit, for better/worse, than some of us are willing to admit.

Many Wings fans in here don't claim Nashville games to be a big rivalry yet. Some don't think anything of it at all.

I think they need to break our hearts in the play-offs to become a true rival, but I get your point and it's valid.

If they aren't a rival, then why is something seemingly mundane as tthrowing catfish such a big deal to many then? Looks like Nashville might be turning into a decent rival for Detroit, for better/worse, than some of us are willing to admit.

I want them to be taken seriously/succeed, the catfish thing is not helping.

I agree (in part), but I'd stress the "decent" rival. It'll be a while (and a few hardcore fights or playoff struggles) before a real, actual rivalry co-exists between them. Right now everybody's got their attention on Nash due to the conference point race going on.

I honestly don't know if real rivalries are capable of being actually sustained in "the new NHL" though. This bothers me a lot, as Super Unimportant as this too is.

I want them to be taken seriously/succeed, the catfish thing is not helping.

Is throwing an octopus really any better? Just because its been happening since the 50's makes it ok while the catfish isn't because it's a new team?