• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwing711

Nashville ... Catfish?

Rate this topic

I'll pass as I really don't care what their fans think.

And for the love of God can the hillbilly/redneck crap from everybody. Not everybody from the South are those types of people so enough already.

I agree with you SWF. You'd think people from Detroit would know what it's like to be unfairly characterised as being a member of the negative stereotype in their area. Do those of you from Dtown want to have out-of-town friends making car-jacking and handgun jokes? What about unemployment jokes? Detroit's a big city with big city problems- so it's not tough to imagine some stereotypical viewpoints to throw your way.

I live in CANADA and we have rednecks that are just as bad those in the South. Fact is- eveyone has rednecks.

And I think it's stupid to accuse the Nashville fans of being copycats and mocking them for having no hockey tradition. The US and Canada have almost no historical context compared to Europe. Travel through Europe and you'll see pubs that are 600 years old, and crazy s*** like that. Tradition has to start somewhere- who are we to say Nashville is any less entitled to be proud hockey fans then us?

They are very lucky they did not get a delay of game penalty last night.

You'd have to be a Detroit goalie with a stick near the edge of the BS-zoid to get a delay of game around us. :rolleyes:

It's always these lame expansion teams from the South that do this, like Florida and their plastic rats (although,they had an interesting story as to whythey did it, so its not nearly as lame as the catfish). You notice they dont do this stuff in Boston, Torornto or Chicago. They know it's a Red Wing's thing and to throw stuff on the ice only smacks of cheap imitation. It was probably some dumb radio station down there that said "Lets show those wings fans what it all about, if they have their Octopus, we'll throw Catfish." DUMB DUMB DUMB. Get your own tradition errrrrr, well, not likely. That franchise will probably be the Kansas City or Hamilton Predators in a few years anyway. HEY, maybe they could start a tradition of throwing catfish on the track at Nascar or a tractor pull.

I like how on one hand we have a lot of people on the boards who claim Nashville isn't a real rival and they don't really care about the Preds.

Then at the same time, it seems every little thing about the Preds, from the catfish to their announcers to their message board is getting a thread at LGW these days.

So, which is it? ;)

And Drake is right on about stereotypes. I've been saying that for a while now. If Nashville, or any other team had threads saiyng Wings fans are nothing but crackhead gangbangers who live in the murder capital of the country, aka America's Beruit, I know there's a lot of people here who would get pissed off.

Guest Don Corleone

This may be in the GDT, but honestly didn't feel like reading through 50 pages of posts. This is the 2nd game against Nashville in Nashville that I've seen them throw fish out on the ice. They have no history, so no tradition, but putting that aside, what could possibly the reason for throwing catfish. At least the octopi have a reason behind them. Maybe they are throwing catfish because they can't get their hands on a whole tuna. Anyone know what it's about?

Overstating the importance of being a Wings fan a little, don't ya think? Nashville is just trying to start a tradition. What about Florida and the rats a few years ago? Were they trying to emulate Wings fans, too?

If you pull that off ... you will be my HERO!!! I will have my eyes glued. I live in BC, hate the Canucks, will love it!!!

Im tyring to figure out before Sat how i can get it in the arena.. im sitting in section 324

I like how on one hand we have a lot of people on the boards who claim Nashville isn't a real rival and they don't really care about the Preds.

Then at the same time, it seems every little thing about the Preds, from the catfish to their announcers to their message board is getting a thread at LGW these days.

So, which is it? ;)

And Drake is right on about stereotypes. I've been saying that for a while now. If Nashville, or any other team had threads saiyng Wings fans are nothing but crackhead gangbangers who live in the murder capital of the country, aka America's Beruit, I know there's a lot of people here who would get pissed off.

I don't think Nashville is a "real" rival. For example Maltby laughed last night when Keating tried to liken it to the Wings-Avs rivalry. It's a pre-fab or "forced" rivalry for sure, just on schdule alone. But the race for top seed is helping it along. I think alot of what they due in Gaylord is pretty lame, (chants, catfish, ect...) but it doesn't really bother me. I find it comical and more high school pep rally than pro hockey, but whatever. Let them have their fun.

As far as sterotypes go, I don't think any single person should be judged or lumped into one group, but alot of them are true. Detroit is full of crime, crackheads, destroyed bulidings, ect. Although 9 times out of 10 that element of the city isn't going to be at a Wings game. I love detroit and spend alot of time in the city, but it doesn't bother me when people talk s***, cause alot of it's true. I don't see why everyone gets so worked up about some comments made on a message board.

Overstating the importance of being a Wings fan a little, don't ya think? Nashville is just trying to start a tradition. What about Florida and the rats a few years ago? Were they trying to emulate Wings fans, too?

Um, yes. Nobody started throwing stuff on the ice til the octopus tradition started getting press. And Florida ruined it for us too, because the league came up with the delay of game rule for throwing stuff on the ice in response to the two thousand rubber rats that went flying at the peak of the Florida tradition. Now you see more octopi at road arenas than you do at the Joe.

Um, yes. Nobody started throwing stuff on the ice til the octopus tradition started getting press. And Florida ruined it for us too, because the league came up with the delay of game rule for throwing stuff on the ice in response to the two thousand rubber rats that went flying at the peak of the Florida tradition. Now you see more octopi at road arenas than you do at the Joe.

I don't see how they could ever call a delay of game though. What if me and 5 friends went down to Nashville without any Wings gear, snuck in cat fish and kept throwing them on the ice in order to get a delay of game? I guess to make it simpler what's to stop opposing teams fans from throwing things in order to get a power play for their team?

A few years ago, Nashville had a bunch of decorated catfish statues all around the city. They had different themes, like a Gibson Guitar catfish or a Boy Scout catfish. There was one right in front of the GEC. I always thought they were pretty lame, and I guess other people did too because they were replaced by the large, themed guitar statues. I assume that the first person to throw a catfish thought it was clever because, at the time, the catfish was an icon in Nashville. I think it's great that Nashville is beginning to have their own little traditions. I don't understand why you can't just let us have something like that. Aren't you the least bit honored that the Red Wings are the team to mimic?

Also, I really wish you all could get past the stereotype of people from Nashville being inbred rednecks. I feel like it hinders us from having intelligent conversations about hockey. It's just stupid. I go to a top university and my hometown is in the top 10 for wealthiest cities per capita. I just really wish everyone could get past the stereotypes for both cities. Not everyone in Detroit is a poverty-stricken criminal, nor does everyone in Nashville sleep with their sister.

I can't wait for the game tonight...I hope it lives up to the hype!

You cant get mad at the truth, and it goes both ways. Everywhere has their fair share of "poverty types", so if the occasional hillbilly/crackhead gangbanger comment comes out, so what. I can think of alot worse things to say about other teams or their fans.

Im just glad theres a team in the central that is good enough to get wings fans riled up.

The Wings invented throwing an animal on the rink. Now we`ve been copied.

Edmonton - throws stakes on the ice to represent Alberta beef

The Panthers - Throw rats on the ice for good luck (hasn`t helped much)

The Preds - throw catfish

All of those suck! The Octopus is so awsome because its different and it actually has tradition behind it. STOP COPYING US YOU CRAPPY PREDS! :D

So, which is it? ;)

It's more along the lines due to all the pred fan base running their mouths off thinking they are better then everyone in the NHL.

It's more along the lines due to all the pred fan base running their mouths off thinking they are better then everyone in the NHL.

Ten bucks says that before the end of the day there is a Preds fan laughing his ass off at this statement, since that's exactly what they hate us for in the first place.

First off, if any fan base has the market cornered in arrogance, it's the Leafs.

Although I'd put the Wings up there. Have you read this thread?

"How dare those lowly Predators fans copy us? Why, they should lose every game to us and be thankful they had the privilege of playing the Red Wings."

Give me a break.

Well it's the truth about the pred fans. I don't see no way that you can argue this.

Edited by Jwo

Well it's the truth about the pred fans. I don't see no way that you can argue this.

Because most Preds fans I've ever met don't think they're better than everyone. Preds fans generally talk a lot of smack about the Red Wings because they know that if they want to be top dog in the west, they're going to have to start by beating the Red Wings.

If you a fan of another team, and you read this board, you couldn't to any conclusion other than Wings fans are also arrogant, and if you read a lot of trade proposals here, you'd have to conclude we're stupid as well.

One of the reasons that Preds fans don't like the Wings and talk a lot of crap about them is because their fighting the Wings for top spot in the division and conference. They would do the same thing if, say, Columbus was a good team. It's not just because it's the Wings. No matter who it is, they wouldn't like that team. And well, that's how a true fan is. Are you going to get mad at them for that?

And quite frankly, I really don't care if Nashville copied the throwing things on the ice tradition. The only team that I don't care for doing it was Florida, because of the fans stupidity of throwing so many at once caused the delay of game rule to be put into effect. They do have a neat story behind it though, with the whole Scott Mellanby thing, so I guess it evens out.

Most pred fans that i met are nothing like you say they are. So my opinion is not gonna change untill i meet these pred fans you speak of.

Also, I really wish you all could get past the stereotype of people from Nashville being inbred rednecks. I feel like it hinders us from having intelligent conversations about hockey. It's just stupid.

You need to tell Fox Sports South that...it seems every game they air against the Wings, they're interviewing some guy in the crowd that, unfortunately, fits that stereotype. Last night's "Grief Couseler" (sic) was a prime example of that. I was seriously waiting for a "Git R Done!" to escape his lips, that's how bad it was.

Thankfully, most of the Preds fans we get around here are articulate and intelligent, such as yourself (although, your choice of team to root for... :P) and manage to break away from that stereotype.

While I'm at it...I live in Jersey. I mean, Joisey. And I'm in the mafia. And I drive on the Turnpike. And I like tollbooths. :D

Most pred fans that i met are nothing like you say they are. So my opinion is not gonna change untill i meet these pred fans you speak of.

And how do the ones you know act?

You need to tell Fox Sports South that...it seems every game they air against the Wings, they're interviewing some guy in the crowd that, unfortunately, fits that stereotype. Last night's "Grief Couseler" (sic) was a prime example of that. I was seriously waiting for a "Git R Done!" to escape his lips, that's how bad it was.

Do you have a video of that? It sounds funny! :P

Edited by Kp-Wings

Let me guess. You've met a handful of ******* Preds fans, so therefore the entire fanbase thinks they're better than everyone.

Whatever, kid. Go back to arguing that police in the US should drive BMWs.

I was once told by some preds fans that the throwing of catfish on the ice was to symbolize Jiri Fischer aka to them "dead fish". How much truth do you suppose is behind this one, cause when they told me this it pissed me right off.

Recall: we did lose Fischer in a game with the preds.

I was once told by some preds fans that the throwing of catfish on the ice was to symbolize Jiri Fischer aka to them "dead fish". How much truth do you suppose is behind this one, cause when they told me this it pissed me right off.

Recall: we did lose Fischer in a game with the preds.

Those Preds fans are just assholes, plain and simple. The catfish throwing pre-dates the Fischer game anyway.