• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingsfan4life19

Dallas, San Jose, Calgary

Rate this topic

By the looks of things, we will probably be playing the stars, sharks, or flames. Playing the flames could be a blessing and a curse, as we would (chances are) finish finish first, but play a hard nosed Calgary team. We have added some "toughness" in calder and bert, but is that enough to beat a team like calgary? Playing the sharks goes without saying, their scary.

Personally i would like to play the stars, even if that meens finishing 4th... I think they play very similar to us, and we could beat them.

Now , all thats said, who would you rather play?

Calgary just isn't the same team under Playfair, they don't have the same tough element that they used to have and they are focusing more on offense than defense. Kiprusoff, while still having a better year than most goalies, isn't the same goalie who took his team to Game 7 of the finals and then won a Vezina last year.

Calgary also has one of the worst road records in the entire league, and if you can't win on the road, being in 8th place, you're not going to do much in the playoffs.

The Stars match up with us best, but in my eyes we'll have to beat at least 2 of those teams to advance past the 2nd round anyway.

By the looks of things, we will probably be playing the stars, sharks, or flames. Playing the flames could be a blessing and a curse, as we would (chances are) finish finish first, but play a hard nosed Calgary team. We have added some "toughness" in calder and bert, but is that enough to beat a team like calgary? Playing the sharks goes without saying, their scary.

Personally i would like to play the stars, even if that meens finishing 4th... I think they play very similar to us, and we could beat them.

Now , all thats said, who would you rather play?

Ack! Never choose your poison! :ph34r:

First off, Dallas we could choke in the 1st round and still beat them since they ussually choke as well (and how.) You didn't mention Minnasota but they'd be my second choice, not really physical and aside from one or two players not a ton of offensive spark, With a guy like Lidstrom I'm not to worried about one-two man offenses, though gaborik can be frightening. Only downside to playing Minnasota is it might tire us out since they go to overtime ALOT. It's a bit of a crapshoot between Calgary and San Jose for me, both are physical teams that'd manhandle us, though taking special teams into account I'd much rather play Calgary, they seem to get in penalty trouble with us alot and San jose's powerplay is nightmare inducing. Of course if the refs swallow their whistles completely I'd actually rather face San jose.

Calgary also has one of the worst road records in the entire league, and if you can't win on the road, being in 8th place, you're not going to do much in the playoffs.

Good point, I'd like to see our home ice advantage come in handy. This also makes another good case for Minnasota, also craptacular away from home.

Im more nervous for ANY opponent than Ive ever been in the playoffs. I thought wed beat the Oilers in 6, but it ended up going to other way.

In a way I feel like I wouldnt mind playing the Sharks because the Wings (for once) wouldnt take their first round opponents lightly. Then again, I feel like this is a MUCH different team than weve seen since...well, 2002, and maybe theyve learned their lesssons.

At any rate, I really think Bert, Calder, Markov, Hudler, Filppula, NO Lilja and a sophomore Kronwall and Lebda give us a different look than weve had in a while. Add to that the sick chemistry between Lang + Calder and Datsyuk + Zetterberg, and REAL goaltending, and we just might be a tough opponent ourselves. The fact that our first line in the playoffs is no longer a washed up power forward, a soft center coming back from a long injury and a traditional 3rd line grinder makes me feel just a little bit better.

First off, Dallas we could choke in the 1st round and still beat them since they ussually choke as well (and how.) You didn't mention Minnasota but they'd be my second choice, not really physical and aside from one or two players not a ton of offensive spark, With a guy like Lidstrom I'm not to worried about one-two man offenses, though gaborik can be frightening. Only downside to playing Minnasota is it might tire us out since they go to overtime ALOT. It's a bit of a crapshoot between Calgary and San Jose for me, both are physical teams that'd manhandle us, though taking special teams into account I'd much rather play Calgary, they seem to get in penalty trouble with us alot and San jose's powerplay is nightmare inducing. Of course if the refs swallow their whistles completely I'd actually rather face San jose.

Good point, I'd like to see our home ice advantage come in handy. This also makes another good case for Minnasota, also craptacular away from home.

Turco's not much in the playoffs, but the Dallas defense worries me. The Wings have had a tough time beating them a few times this year because of that.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

that 9 goal game by san jose has still not gotten past me. i do not want to play san jose. i don't really wat to play calgary. they are tough and i fear kipper. minnesota i wouldn't mind playing. but i want to play dallas. we lead the series 4-0 and we have the best chance against them

I am still holding my fingers crossed for Colorado to make it to the playoffs :-)

Wouldn't it be nice to beat them in the first round?

Although, if they make it they would be on a tear and might be quite dangerous to deal with. But then, who isn't?

I got no preference right now, regardless of where the Wings finish, which will be 1, 2, or 4 in the conference in all likelihood.

All eight teams are very good, so I don't see a huge significant advantage facing one team over the other for a consecutive stretch of games.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

after the past few years i'll go on record as saying i'm scared to death of the first round

LOL as am I.

First round is by far the toughest. Once the Wings make it out of the first round..then I can breathe a sigh of relief because that's when I think okay they can go really far now.

after the past few years i'll go on record as saying i'm scared to death of the first round

Yes I agree!! :unsure: San Jose looks scary, and Nabokov is playing awesome hockey. With Guerin, Chechoo, Marleau, and Thorton also, man I can see this series going into 7 games.

Edited by Zetterberg is the man!!

With the way things have gone this year, you better pray that you DONT have home ice advantage! :blink:

Why would that be ... pretty sure Detroit has the best home record in the league. But then again, you did blink, sooo ...

Calgary just isn't the same team under Playfair, they don't have the same tough element that they used to have and they are focusing more on offense than defense. Kiprusoff, while still having a better year than most goalies, isn't the same goalie who took his team to Game 7 of the finals and then won a Vezina last year.

I actually agree with this. Ive been a proponent of Calgary in the past, but theres something thats not the same about the team this year. I still would rank them 3rd behind Anaheim and San Jose in terms of playoff threats, but i dont like them as much as i have in years past.

To be the best you have to beat the best... we play who we play. No fear, no regrets, no mercy! :ph34r:

You're right on. Best post on here.

I actually agree with this. Ive been a proponent of Calgary in the past, but theres something thats not the same about the team this year. I still would rank them 3rd behind Anaheim and San Jose in terms of playoff threats, but i dont like them as much as i have in years past.

:o This is quite shocking coming from you!

Soooo how do you like the Wings this year? :sly::P

They've lost pretty much all of their character players. Vancouver and Minnesota scare me more than Calgary.