• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zetter is Better

Fighting?

Rate this topic

Here are some videos of The Hockey fights gone wrong this year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4nttgE3RUA8&amp...ted&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nhmcoxibe3c

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sn05Q5yxmPY

TSN discussion on fighting

Whats your guys opinion? Should there be a harsher penalty for fighting? I heard them discussing it on TSN and I wondered what you guys thaught.

Whats your guys opinion? Should there be a harsher penalty for fighting? I heard them discussing it on TSN and I wondered what you guys thaught.

Dregger or McKenzie (don't recall) mentioned yesterday that Buttman is considering the "future of fighting in the NHL".

opinion? fire this idiot, who doesn't understand the game. hockey is ruined by cheapshoters and sucker-punchers who blossom in the instigator penalty era. and it was Gary Buttman "brillant" idea to "make the game better".

fighting belongs to hockey. and it has to be carried out properly. give tough guys a chance to fight like people and do their job. instead, penalize s*** like Tootoo or Avery (and Maltby, yes!) who piss players off and then hide behind stupid rules. let'em pay for what they do. the more transparent it is, the less crap will be done and less stupid injuries because of dangerous plays after conflicts that would otherwise be solved in a classic, legal, proper fight.

Fighting is what hockey is. You take out fighting you will lose some fans or not be on the fans good side. Thats one of the reasons why I played hockey to begin with. :D

akustyk, the reason why they don't penalize the instigators it is usually because they don't see the first penalty but the following one. Sad, but true.

There needs to be MORE fighting. Throw away the instigating and guys with visors need to lose the bucket before the fight starts. Theres nothing worse than splitting your hand open on a visor and have to get 10 stiches (left a cool scar though :blink: )

I agree with all these posts so far, the instigator rule needs to go away. However given the NHL's track record in the "Bettman Era", I'm pretty sure that he will "advise" the owners to vote to approve the wrong thing with little or no thought of consulting a player's committee 1st.... :nonono:

Edited by Winged Scooter

It looks like the KO punches landed were either luckey or the guy wasn't defending himself correctly.

Maybe if they made some sort of rule about grabbing the jersey and making it more like a boxing match players would defend themselves and not get KOed?

Just an idea...

There was a topic on Around The Horn today about Colin Campbell considering a ban on fighting. If they do, 2 bad things will happen as a result. One, I will never watch hockey again... mark my words. And two, you guys wont get to experience the pleasure of reading my posts anymore!

And two, you guys wont get to experience the pleasure of reading my posts anymore!

:(:D

I think fighting is such a part of the game it would be like taking out hitting or slap shots because people get hurt. It would be the MOST stupidest move in hockey since Bettman was hired.

There was a topic on Around The Horn today about Colin Campbell considering a ban on fighting. If they do, 2 bad things will happen as a result. One, I will never watch hockey again... mark my words. And two, you guys wont get to experience the pleasure of reading my posts anymore!

That would be too much for anyone to handle! :P

Fighting should very well stay. It's already majorly reduced from what it was a few years ago. If they take fighting out of the game, you will see a who lot of cheapshots with the sticks.

After reading the TSN article, I have to say something. They say that European leagues and College hockey don't have fighting, and the NHL should consider that based on those two not having it.Well, there's a very different constrant on the type of players in these leagues. My consensis is this:

In European leagues, most players are skilled finesse guys anyways. You will rarely see an enforcer come out of a European league (exceptions of course being Oliwa, Nazarov, Ivanans, etc.). But for the majority most people who desend from a European league aren't full time fighters.

In College hockey all of the players are young teenagers that are under the full watch of any school official. Playing College hockey is just like playing High School Hockey, and they want to model it around a school environment, in which most schools don't allow fighting (I can't even think of one that would).

So there you have it. There is legitimate reasons why these leagues don't have fighting. The NHL is different. It has a lot of hard nosed Canadians and Americans, and the tougher Europeans at that, and if you take it away there will be a lot of violence in others forms (stickwork). Getting rid of fighting will not solve anything.

That would be too much for anyone to handle! :P

Fighting should very well stay. It's already majorly reduced from what it was a few years ago. If they take fighting out of the game, you will see a who lot of cheapshots with the sticks.

After reading the TSN article, I have to say something. They say that European leagues and College hockey don't have fighting, and the NHL should consider that based on those two not having it.Well, there's a very different constrant on the type of players in these leagues. My consensis is this:

In European leagues, most players are skilled finesse guys anyways. You will rarely see an enforcer come out of a European league (exceptions of course being Oliwa, Nazarov, Ivanans, etc.). But for the majority most people who desend from a European league aren't full time fighters.

In College hockey all of the players are young teenagers that are under the full watch of any school official. Playing College hockey is just like playing High School Hockey, and they want to model it around a school environment, in which most schools don't allow fighting (I can't even think of one that would).

So there you have it. There is legitimate reasons why these leagues don't have fighting. The NHL is different. It has a lot of hard nosed Canadians and Americans, and the tougher Europeans at that, and if you take it away there will be a lot of violence in others forms (stickwork). Getting rid of fighting will not solve anything.

You know what i cant stand? When the little panzies in the media, who DONT watch hockey to begin with mind you, always bring up the Olympics and how great the games are. What a dumbass argument! Ok, well then you better cut the league down to about 6 teams so every team will be allstar caliber like the ones in the Olympics are. Oh, and of course being that every game in the Olympics is pretty much do or die might have something to do with the caliber of play you think?

So cut the teams down to 6, make the regular season 10 games....and you're in business! Olympic hockey in the NHL!!

I will boycott the NHL if they ever ban fighting, why alienate the fans you have to please the fans that you dont have??

Im right with you. Thats the key, they wont gain ANY fans by doing this....the only things to happen will be negative.

You know what i cant stand? When the little panzies in the media, who DONT watch hockey to begin with mind you, always bring up the Olympics and how great the games are. What a dumbass argument!

since when are the Olympic games great? :) has anything changed in hockey and bunches

of guys playing together for 2 weeks do make a team and present some level of teamwork?

I mean, sure, for those dumbasses in media who know s*** about the game but only want

big names to blow news - yeah, Olympics is great. but this is a team game and it is much

better if you have a real team than a bunch of poster-boys.

and yeah... fighting is sooooo ugly... meanwhile sucker-punches like Neil or coward bulls***

like Tootoo is fine... bravo! bravo! bravo!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4nttgE3RUA8&amp...ted&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nhmcoxibe3c

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sn05Q5yxmPY

TSN discussion on fighting

Yeah i saw that as well.. But no i don't think there should be a harsher penalty for fighting.. Fighting is hockey, its used to protect your superstars and if your down a goal or 2 you send your tough guy out to fight and see if you can get some momentum swinging your way.. They also asked about 300 players in the NHL and a high percentage said that a 5 minute penalty is good enough for fighting, not the 10 or 20 or a game misconduct like was mentioned on tsn

LMAO! Andrew Peters just said that taking fighting out of hockey is like taking the triple sow cow out of figure skating :P . Players and coaches were being interviewed on TSN about fighting.

Yeah i saw that too, he said something like she missed the rest of the tournament because of bad tailbone :lol:

Yeah i saw that as well.. But no i don't think there should be a harsher penalty for fighting.. Fighting is hockey, its used to protect your superstars and if your down a goal or 2 you send your tough guy out to fight and see if you can get some momentum swinging your way.. They also asked about 300 players in the NHL and a high percentage said that a 5 minute penalty is good enough for fighting, not the 10 or 20 or a game misconduct like was mentioned on tsn

I told people a few years ago there would be a 3 step plan to eliminate fighting. If either of these happens, its on the way out. First, fighting would be an automatic major - misconduct (5 and 10). The following season, it will emcompany an automatic game misconduct. That would be the final season with fighting as it would completely banned the year after that.

this is what happens when you put an idiot with no heart or understanding for the sport in charge of it...you ban fighting and you will loose the oldschool hockey fans and you'll see a bunch of corporate pricks show up at the game...fighting brings balance to the game, keeps the goons in check, and prevents idiots like tootoo from taking dangerous runs at your star players...you take that away, and bastards like him will go head hunting...then you'll see players like modano, crosby, ovachkin, datsyuk, zetterberg, etc, get carried out on stretchers...instead of banning fighting, fire bettmen...