• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cicada

Emmerton Signed

Rate this topic

The Wings seem pretty exited about this guy. I know nothing about him, so I don't know what he'll do right off the bat or what they should do with him. At his age, he might just go back to juniors.

The Wings seem pretty exited about this guy. I know nothing about him, so I don't know what he'll do right off the bat or what they should do with him. At his age, he might just go back to juniors.

I'm pretty exited by this kid too, IF he's as good as he's expected to be , we have a potential future star here. :D

If he's going to be playing for the Griffins in the playoffs his junior career is over.

This kid has great on-ice vision, a soft pair of hands and he can shoot or pass. The only things that the Wings want himi to work on are his skating and size. The size will come and I'm sure his skating can improve.

Some scouts think he can develop into a quality top 6 forward.

Hey "Kp-Wings" how can you say that you don't know anything about Cory Emmerton when the person who started this topic ("Cicada") gave us the link to read about Emmerton's signing:

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Wings sign top pick Cory Emmerton

The Wings have signed forward Cory Emmerton, their 2006 top draft pick (41st overall, second round) to an entry-evel contract. Emmerton skated with some of the Wings at Wednesday's optional practice at Joe Louis Arena. He'll join Grand Rapids for the AHL playoffs. Emmerton got off to a hot start at Kingston, where he was one of the OHL's leading scorers before breaking his ankle in December. He returned late in the season and continued to put up points in the playoffs.

Furthermore, all you had to do to get information about Emmerton was to go to the Internet:

Cory Emmerton

Prospect Grade: 7.0 C

(Click Here for info on Prospect Grades)

Profile Contributed By: Jason Menard

History

The young forward has played a lot of hockey this season – and for good reason. With a stellar 90-point season paced with 64 assists, Emmerton has shown that he’s a prospect with elite playmaking skills that go a long way to make those around him better.

Emmerton was a member of the Canadian Junior Under-18 squad in addition to participating in the CHL Canada-Russia Challenge series in 2005. He also received an invite to the CHL Top Prospect game and he displayed his offensive prowess in all instances.

While his offensive potential was hinted at with a 17 goal, 21 assist performance last season in his rookie year, few expected Emmerton to almost triple his offensive production this season.

IS THERE SOME KIND OF ARCANE OR METAPHYSICAL MEANING TO YOUR POST THAT I'VE MISSED?!

If he's going to be playing for the Griffins in the playoffs his junior career is over.

not necessarily..

Kindl played a few games in GR last season and went back to Kitchener this season.

not necessarily..

Kindl played a few games in GR last season and went back to Kitchener this season.

That's very true. I don't think the same thing's going to happen to this kid though. I have a feeling he'll make the farm team in September.

Unlike Ryno, Ritola, Grigorneko, etc. the Wings did not have to sign Emmerton so soon. Or have him play in GR.

They must really like what they see.

And they haven't been wrong yet with any of their recent young prospects.

from what i've read about Emmerton, altough i'm by no means any sort of an expert, i'd thinkk he'll go back to Kingston next year purely because he didn't get a full years development this year due to his injury. I guess it's all to do with how he does in camp though...

if we can get Emmerton, Kindl and maybe nick Scott Parse from LA we'll have a damn good team in GR / possible call ups next year.

Emmerton cannot play for the Griffins full time until he's 20. It's Wings or back to Juniors for him next season. Same as it was for Kindl and Helm this season.

Also signing him early doesn't make him a free agent early unless he's actually playing and using up those years. Helm and Kindl both signed three year contracts last year and both still have three years left on them because playing in Juniors doesn't use up a year.

Emmerton cannot play for the Griffins full time until he's 20. It's Wings or back to Juniors for him next season. Same as it was for Kindl and Helm this season.

Also signing him early doesn't make him a free agent early unless he's actually playing and using up those years. Helm and Kindl both signed three year contracts last year and both still have three years left on them because playing in Juniors doesn't use up a year.

I wasn't sure how it would affect when they where RFA eligible, thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I'm really excited about Emmerton. I watched him play when the Frontenacs came to Windsor a couple months ago, and he looked great. He's a little like Z in the sense that he's an under-sized, hard-working, two-player with some pretty sweet moves. I've read some scouting reports that have panned his skating ability a bit, but he certainly didn't look slow when I saw him.

The whole size issue really annoys me, the kid has another 2 years to fill out anyway and plus he's bigger than 6 other players who are on the Wings roster already. He's slated at 6' 0" and 190lb and i suppose their looking at him to fill up to 205-210lb, yes he'll only be 19yr when the new season starts so its back to Kingston unless he has one hellova camp and cracks the roster. Of our other younger prospects only Kindl is going to be 20 at the start of next year and by all accounts he is either GR bound or makes the team. Still good to see us signing some young talent.

i think it's good they got him locked up now , the faster the better .......is he gonna play in the playoffs with grand rapids ?? from what i read thats what i understood .....i just hope he's not another evan mcgrath ( still early to call him a bust , i know but it's not looking so good)

I just wanna see us lock up and bring over some other guys ....grigorenko, ritola,ryno, ........which other prospects that we gotta sign this year or walk away do you guys think we should sign ? i know lofberg has been struggling but from what i read when we got him he had lots of potential and he's young and the scouts really liked him , there's no more cap and we use to easily spend 70 million a season , shouldnt we take a chance on him and sign him to a one year deal and bring him to grand rapids with ritola and axelsson ?? or just let him go ? also jeff may and stamler id also keep , cant have too many defensive prospects

Edited by zetterbergfuturemvp

I think this kid is Drapes replacement, I really do.

He was signed only to come in and play in camp and then go back down to juniors or GR at best. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Griffin sooner then later. This move doesn't do anything but lock him in to a cheaper cost if and when the salary cap goes up.

Good move by Holland.

Thanks for the info NN

Guest Agalloch

I think this kid is Drapes replacement, I really do.

He was signed only to come in and play in camp and then go back down to juniors or GR at best. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Griffin sooner then later. This move doesn't do anything but lock him in to a cheaper cost if and when the salary cap goes up.

Good move by Holland.

Emmerton plays nothing like Draper. He's a lot like Filppula. I'd say that Abdelkader or Helm are more likely to replace Draper eventually.