• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsFanatic

ESPN: "Slim Chance" Hank back before playoffs

Rate this topic

At ESPN.com, the NHL Rumor Central page reads like this:

"Will Henrik Zetterberg return to the lineup before the start of the playoffs? Chances are looking slim for the Red Wings' star forward."

Unfortunately, you have to be an ESPN.com Insider to read the entire article. Whether this is pure speculation or actually based on new information can't be determined unless one can read the whole thing, but I thought it was worth posting. Anybody have access?

Edit: The thread title should say PLAYOFFS. Not sure how that got cut off. If a mod can change that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by RedWingsFanatic

I'd trust the local media before ESPN. Everything I've heard has Zetterberg returning for Game 1 of the playoffs -- if not the last game of the season in Chicago.

My assumption is he'll play for game 1 even if not 100%, he has the heart to pull that off quite easily. But I don't trust the source, most all of that inside information crap is eklundesque rumours. If this is true it'll hit the local media by the days end, if not I wouldn;t be too bothered by it.

Ted Kulfan:

Zetterberg skated today (it was an optional and many guys didn't skate) but said he won't be traveling to Chicago. Saturday? It sure doesn't look like it. But Zetterberg does appear all set to play Game 1 of the playoffs.

He's going to play, whether he's 100% or not. Datsyuk wasn't even skating prior to the playoffs last year. Zetterberg has been skating for a while now.

Well, first of all, both the blurb quoted above and the actual Insider article say Zetterberg isn't likely to return before the playoffs, which technically says nothing about Game 1 itself, so I don't understand why the panic.

Second, here's the actual Insider blurb. Not normally smiled upon by ESPN types to post Insider stuff on message boards but whatever, the panic needs to stop. After all, this is taken from a local source.

Wings still waiting for Zetterberg

Apr 4 - Red Wings F Henrik Zetterberg will get in just one game, if that, before the playoffs start, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The newspaper said Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock ruled out Thursday's game in Chicago, leaving just Saturday against the Blackhawks as a possible return for Zetterberg, who has been out since Feb. 24 because of an inflamed disk.

"I'd rather be ready for playoffs than play the last two of the regular season. But we haven't made a decision yet," Zetterberg told the Free Press on Tuesday.

"I felt pretty good today, but still, I haven't done the final steps in practice -- battling and starts and stops. I think I have to do that before playing."

All indications from various media outlets I've seen and people close to the organization feel it's not worth the risk to have him play the final two games. The 3-4 days off after the season concludes are going to be valuable to him and I wouldn't be surprised if Hank tries to go all out in at least two of those days to get back into game shape.

I think that even if he could it is better for him to take the extra time off. Chicago has some big checkers, and if he tweaks his back again its done for the playoffs, I'd rather he take the next week off, and show a little rust in game 1 then risk it and not be able to play at all.

just like my predecessors indicated: it's not worth to put him against Blackhawks. teams like them or Blues which subsequently suck and miss playoffs tend to be a pain in the ass for playoff contenders (see: Blues fighting Stars like crazy for god knows what reason) and sometimes go as far as taking liberties in the name of "showing'em". classic small dick syndrome, but unfortunately it is to be taken into account

Chicago might not be that much willing to go with such crap as St Louis, but I'd still keep my best players off the ice. and most certainly in such meaningless games.

Zet is off the ice and returns to Game 1, and it's perfectly fine. we need him fit for playoffs and regular season doesn't really count at this moment.

My assumption is he'll play for game 1 even if not 100%, he has the heart to pull that off quite easily. But I don't trust the source, most all of that inside information crap is eklundesque rumours. If this is true it'll hit the local media by the days end, if not I wouldn;t be too bothered by it.

never thought i'd say this, but this is one time where I'd downplay the 'heart' factor. You're right in that Z will definetly have have the heart to come back, but i hope he uses the brain too, and realizes that one ill-fated check on a less than healthy back could impact his career.

At this point I think whether he comes back or not before or during the playoffs he won't be 100% by the playoffs and who knows how that will hamper his game.

I'd rather have no Z, than a Zetterberg who is a liability out there. Or for him jeopardizing his long term health.

I still think we can win without him, and get him when we really will need him in later rounds.

At this point I think whether he comes back or not before or during the playoffs he won't be 100% by the playoffs and who knows how that will hamper his game.

I'd rather have no Z, than a Zetterberg who is a liability out there. Or for him jeopardizing his long term health.

I still think we can win without him, and get him when we really will need him in later rounds.

Can you imagine a 100% healthy and completely refreshed Zetterberg in the Finals?... :yowza:

But I kinda think we need him if we have any chance of getting to the finals :scared:

I'm hoping for Round 2....but yeah.

I know people think it's all manly and tough and team-oriented to play through an injury, but I think it's stupid. It could jeopardize a brilliant career, and injuries can be such a plague in this league.

If he's back, I do hope he's healthy!

Guest Agalloch

Can we please not make a topic about this every five hours? No one knows what's going to happen, obviously. It's gone from being out for one game, to two weeks, to March 30th, to Sunday against the BJ's, to tomorrow, to who the hell knows when, etc. No one knows what's going to happen, so unless Zetterberg says that he's 100% sure he'll return on a certain date, these threads are useless.

It's understandable that we all want to see him play at least one game before the playoffs just to see how he is. The thing is..I was thinking about it and playing against a team like the Hawks, where they have nothing to lose..kinda scares me. I always get the weird feeling that the bottom feeders try and take out the superstars on teams that are going to the playoffs. Therefore, I don't want to see Hank play till the playoffs. I do think if he feels ready he'll go. If he says he's healthy then he is, he won't play if he's got the slightest bit doubt that he can't do anything out there.

I'm hoping for Round 2....but yeah.

I know people think it's all manly and tough and team-oriented to play through an injury, but I think it's stupid. It could jeopardize a brilliant career, and injuries can be such a plague in this league.

If he's back, I do hope he's healthy!

Ahhhhggg!!! Round 2!!! Man do I not like the sound of that. No, screw his health ... all for the greater good, haha, jj.

Where are those LGW ladies bout' now ... surely they can get to the bottom of this.

Ahhhhggg!!! Round 2!!! Man do I not like the sound of that. No, screw his health ... all for the greater good, haha, jj.

Where are those LGW ladies bout' now ... surely they can get to the bottom of this.

hahaha send the ladies to "make him better" :clap::hehe:

I was just watching the sports part of the 11 O'Clock news with bernie and he said that hank wouldn't play the last two games. But when they interviewed Hank, he said there was no way he'd miss game one, of the playoffs which is good news. :thumbup: