• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cjeder

Cheap Shots, Running the Keeper & Other Dirty Play

Rate this topic

Everyone knows the playoffs are going to be more intense. This year it seems something is lost in translation as dirty play seems to be the substitute for hard work. Three games into the most first round series and we have seen far too many players wheeled off the ice on stretchers and goalies run several times a game. Frankly, if this keeps up, I don't understand how any team will keep a top line intact or a starting keeper healthy through four rounds.

What are your thoughts? any clips of some of the plays in question? Is this years play exceptional or just playoff hockey as normal?

Everyone knows the playoffs are going to be more intense. This year it seems something is lost in translation as dirty play seems to be the substitute for hard work. Three games into the most first round series and we have seen far too many players wheeled off the ice on stretchers and goalies run several times a game. Frankly, if this keeps up, I don't understand how any team will keep a top line intact or a starting keeper healthy through four rounds.

What are your thoughts? any clips of some of the plays in question? Is this years play exceptional or just playoff hockey as normal?

normal playoff hockey in every series I have seen with the exception of Nashville vs. San Jose. Nashville players are playing cheap and dirty, they cant play fair so they have to cheat and hurt the other teams players. San Jose will retaliate in a BIG way very soon.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me

I don't know what happened but there seems to be a lack of respect on the ice. Players need to respect each other. I can't remember exactly what Hull said about the Armstrong hit, but it was something like: Even if it was a clean hit, you shouldn't take it because it's ridiculously dangerous to the player receiving the check. It's just part of respecting the players you play against.

I don't know what happened but there seems to be a lack of respect on the ice. Players need to respect each other. I can't remember exactly what Hull said about the Armstrong hit, but it was something like: Even if it was a clean hit, you shouldn't take it because it's ridiculously dangerous to the player receiving the check. It's just part of respecting the players you play against.

Totally disagree with Hull on that. Eaves could've wrapped it around and scored another goal or centered it right into the slot for another Senator to put it away. I would question players determination and effort if they lived by that rule. A more important rule that should be followed is this...

KEEP YOUR F'N HEAD UP!!!

Edited by WhiteLightning91

I thought the Flames had some dirty plays in game one , but overall our series has been pretty clean.

like the one time when cleary apparentlty ran at kiprusoff, even though it wasnt near the crease, and stuart kneed him in the back for it.

Brad Stuart is probably one of the dirtiest players I've seen in a while. The way he goes after peoples lower back when he cross checks is disgusting. At least Andrew Ference was a clean, solid hitter. I will always question the Flames for trading him away, since he was always so well liked.

The Flames play terrible so they know they will lose so they take sheap shots at the Wings and other dirty stuff. I think that when we have like a 2 goal or plus lead and there is like 5-10 mins left that Babs shouldn't play the first line as much because Dion Poof and Captain Visor will try and take cheap shots at them.

Detroit should send out a brawler line: :P

Bertuzzi - Franzen - Cleary

Markov - Lilja :sly:

They would take care of Captain Visor and Dion. ;)

Its no coincidence that the two most entertaining series so far for me, Pitt vs Ott and SJ vs Nash, are the two that have featured all 3 of those aspects. Im not really endorsing the cheapshots, but they certainly raise the intensity quite a few notches and I absolutely love it. Ok wait..i guess that is kind of an endorsement for more cheap shots! :D

In particular the Pittsburgh series has been great, and one of the more enjoyable ive seen in a long time.

Guest tangstoiggy

The Flames play terrible so they know they will lose so they take sheap shots at the Wings and other dirty stuff. I think that when we have like a 2 goal or plus lead and there is like 5-10 mins left that Babs shouldn't play the first line as much because Dion Poof and Captain Visor will try and take cheap shots at them.

Well just because Detroit is the softest team in the NHL....I guess any little hit would seem dirty to you

Your just lucky your not playing the Preds or the Sharks in the FIrst round.....The wings would be plucked by now.,

Or have you seen how dirty the Preds actually are... Flames are a very clean hitting team compared to the PReds

Brad Stuart is probably one of the dirtiest players I've seen in a while. The way he goes after peoples lower back when he cross checks is disgusting. At least Andrew Ference was a clean, solid hitter. I will always question the Flames for trading him away, since he was always so well liked.

Please :D Chelios is no angel bye any means, and then you've got the real dirty player in the NHL in Bertuzzi...the master of cheap shots :clap:

That's a brawler line?

Well just because Detroit is the softest team in the NHL....I guess any little hit would seem dirty to you

Your just lucky your not playing the Preds or the Sharks in the FIrst round.....The wings would be plucked by now.,

Or have you seen how dirty the Preds actually are... Flames are a very clean hitting team compared to the PReds

Please :D Chelios is no angel bye any means, and then you've got the real dirty player in the NHL in Bertuzzi...the master of cheap shots :clap:

Nah, they'd be taking so many penalties that the Wings would be outshooting them 97-35 through two games....wait....that sounds familiar....

Seriously though, the Flames haven't been overly dirty by nature. They're just getting frustrated. The two things that I've seen that was a little different than normal playoff hockey was the glove-on punch to Zetterberg and Stuart yanking on the guy when the ref had him tied up. Other than that it's your normal borderline stuff that made Vladdy so beloved to us in the past and makes us like Cheli now.

Shut up. Seriously.

First of all, Chelios is 45 years old. He hasn't made a dirty play in almost 10 years. Calling him dirty now is just a joke. Maybe back in the 80's with his battles with Brian Propp, but he is certainly not a dirty player at this stage in his career. Anyone who says he is hasn't seen a true dirty player, ala Hartnell or Tootoo.

As for this Bertuzzi thing... Once again someone feels the need to bring up the Steve Moore incident. Has he done anything cheap before that? Huh? How about after that? You probably didn't even know who Bertuzzi is before the Steve Moore incident.

For the Wings being a bunch of soft, European *******, they are sure kicking the Flames ass right now. Check your facts before you speak.

By the way, if you didn't know, the Wings manhandled the Preds in the regular season, going 6-1-1. Their physical play sure didn't help their cause at all. Again, check your facts buddy.

You have again set me off with another peice of gold posting. Why is it that the other Flames fans can come on here and be intelligent and yet you cannot? Answer that for me please.

edited for grammar

Edited by Kp-Wings

SoupGuru, you are dead on... these guys don't need to completely annihilate one another. There are certain hits that you have to pull up a bit on. Mickey talks about them all the time.

Totally disagree with Hull on that. Eaves could've wrapped it around and scored another goal or centered it right into the slot for another Senator to put it away. I would question players determination and effort if they lived by that rule. A more important rule that should be followed is this...

KEEP YOUR F'N HEAD UP!!!

There is a difference between lowering the boom on a guy (shoulder/elbow to the head) and checking him. These hits are like head-hunting out there. The total lack of respect that some of these guys have for one another is amazing to me.

We also need to talk about the body armor these guys are wearing these days... no wonder people are getting carried out on stretchers. Soften the pads NHL/NHLPA before someone is paralyzed or has a serious head injury.

Um, we pretty much dominated the Preds this season. I guess you didn't take the time to look we're 6-1-1 with them this year. Obviously you're a widdle upset :( we've outscored you 7-2 and are up 2-0 so I can understand you're comments are just frustration.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

Guest micah
First of all, Chelios is 45 years old. He hasn't made a dirty play in almost 10 years.

Do you, uh, watch any Wings games? Chelios may not be what he oncw was, but he still plays dirty, cheapshots people and cowardly runs away or dives when he's called on it.

Do you, uh, watch any Wings games? Chelios may not be what he oncw was, but he still plays dirty, cheapshots people and cowardly runs away or dives when he's called on it.

Oh yeah, remember the other night when he had that knee on knee....ummm wait...no, that wasn't Chelios.

Or wait, what about that whole smashing someone's head into the boards from behind that he got susp...no wait..that wasn't Chelios either.

Hmm..cross checks to the face or back of the head? No...what about deliberately trying to injure...no...that wasn't him either.

Again, please tell us when exactly Chelios has a big dirty play? Not Iginla dirty (stickwork, crosschecks, etc) but real dirty play.

I won't hold my breath though.

Oh yeah, remember the other night when he had that knee on knee....ummm wait...no, that wasn't Chelios.

Or wait, what about that whole smashing someone's head into the boards from behind that he got susp...no wait..that wasn't Chelios either.

Hmm..cross checks to the face or back of the head? No...what about deliberately trying to injure...no...that wasn't him either.

Again, please tell us when exactly Chelios has a big dirty play? Not Iginla dirty (stickwork, crosschecks, etc) but real dirty play.

I won't hold my breath though.

:clap: great post!!

yeah i want to know when the last time you heard cheli's name because of a dirty play????

KEEP YOUR F'N HEAD UP!!!

I agree... A player is coming in on the goalie (or for a wrap around) .... Oh no don't touch him, by all means sir... you got in position for a wrap around.... go ahead and score... you deserve it!

Please.... If the dude is in scoring position you nullify him by knocking his arse on the ice. Don't want to get hit... don't try wrap around and keep your head up. Otherwise... Game on!

I agree... A player is coming in on the goalie (or for a wrap around) .... Oh no don't touch him, by all means sir... you got in position for a wrap around.... go ahead and score... you deserve it!

Please.... If the dude is in scoring position you nullify him by knocking his arse on the ice. Don't want to get hit... don't try wrap around and keep your head up. Otherwise... Game on!

But you're assuming that the only way to take him out of the play is to crush his head with your shoulder. I'm of the opinion there's an equally effective way of preventing him from coming in front of the net without bashing his face in - probably even a way of dishing out some pain to make him rethink it at a future time too. But if you have someone lined up and you realize he's not paying attention... I think you have a responsibility to lay off a little out of respect.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

But you're assuming that the only way to take him out of the play is to crush his head with your shoulder. I'm of the opinion there's an equally effective way of preventing him from coming in front of the net without bashing his face in - probably even a way of dishing out some pain to make him rethink it at a future time too. But if you have someone lined up and you realize he's not paying attention... I think you have a responsibility to lay off a little out of respect.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Unfortuantly while performing a wrap around, the skater by his own admission is lowering his stance and thus making a legal shoulder to shoulder hit more like a shoulder to head hit.

The player on the other end of the hit is equally not using his head at that moment in time... he is trying to score... Both are at fault in this case. Just as the person lining him up should have "respect" the player with the puck should use their brain. He won't go untouched and it is silly to think othewise.

Both are at fault in this case. Just as the person lining him up should have "respect" the player with the puck should use their brain. He won't go untouched and it is silly to think othewise.

I agree with you completely. I just think you shouldn't touch his head with your shoulder when he's in a vulnerable position.