• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Should Sergei Fedorov's number be retired in the future?

Rate this topic

Should Sergei Federov's number be retired in the future?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NO!!!

He wanted more money so he left the Wings as did Shanny so NO, he doesn't deserve to be up in the Rafters.

Stevie Y stayed here his whole career, amazing stats, future HOF, players that stay and contribute to our team are the ones that deserve being up there.

Outside of Detroit he will be remembered as a NHL player that spent alot of time in Detroit.

Those in the rafters are remembered as Red Wings first, NHL players second.

I see The retired number as the ultimate in honors, it has to be reserved for the players that had an impact. Not only the stats, but the team, the fans, and the town.

I do think he should be honored though, give him a plaque in a hallway somewhere, make it flashy and out of shiny gold... He'd like that.

Guest jaytan

Hell no!!!!

Look, the Red Wings are one of the most storied franchises in hockey, and it should take a lot to earn the honor of having a jersey number retired. Maybe if we were the Phoenix Coyotes, for example, and had a shorter and less magnificent history, and hadn't really had any players that were better or more significant than Federov, I'd agree to it. But even if he'd finished his career as a Red Wing, I don't know if he earns the honor.

Lidstrom, when his time comes, I can approve of that. That's about the only other guy from this era. Not even Shanahan, and I really like him. If the Red Wings retired every number of every notable player on their rosters throughout the years, we'd have to start using triple-digits in a few years.

Gotta go with no. I appreciate everything Federov did for the Wings, I really do, but hanging a number up is reserved to the best of the best, those that made the biggest impact on the sport and the team - in essence, Red Wing Royalty. Federov is not that.

I loved watching Fedorov play for the Wings -- whining and all, he was a beautiful sight to behold. One of the biggest talents/underachievers I've ever seen. I have wondered if the absence (of Shanny, Stevie, and others whom he played off of and who made him look incredible at times) has made his heart grow fonder of what once was?

I would take him back right now at a bargain basement price. Yes, I would. He might be re-born as a Wing. Who knows? Doubt it will happen though.

And no, he shouldn't get his number retired as a Wing. Lidstrom at some point, yes. He's about it, though, IMO. Few and far between, extraordinary franchise players should have their number in the rafters at the Joe or wherever the Wings end up in the future.

Not that I don't appreciate what Feds did for Detroit, of course. I also recognize what Detroit did for Feds in return. :)

Ack not jersey retirement discussion again!!!!!!! :scared::lol:

While I wouldn't mind seeing Fedorov back with the Wings, he's not getting his jersey retired IMO even if he did ever come back to the organization.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

NO! To have your number retired is not simply a reflection of statistics but it also a reflection of attitude and dedication. Sure Fedorova was a great player but he had attitud issues. Does no one remember him holding out for 70% of a season? He left of SoCa for more money only. People bash Shanny but his family is on the east coast. I was surprised he did not sign with Boston as that is where his wife is from...or course with that being one of the two worst run hockey franchises, I can see why he located close to Boston but not in it.

Also, a comparison to Ty Cobb? Give me a break. Cobb was ultimate player...win at all costs. He gave his all for the Tigers. The racist issue does not relate to this argument. He gave his all as a Tiger. Something Federova never did.

Currently, I think Lidstrom is the only current player who will have his number retired without question. The others, there is question. Plus, one must consider the de facto retirement of Number 16. I think that this is the next number that should go up, though from what I understand, it is an unwritten rule already that no one will wear this number again.

Guest DetroitIan

I find it pretty hilarious that almost 20 people think we should retire Feds jersey. The only way I would possibly agree with that, is if Fedorov came back and retired a Red Wing. But thats not gonna happen. So I voted no.

NO! To have your number retired is not simply a reflection of statistics but it also a reflection of attitude and dedication. Sure Fedorova was a great player but he had attitud issues. Does no one remember him holding out for 70% of a season? He left of SoCa for more money only. People bash Shanny but his family is on the east coast. I was surprised he did not sign with Boston as that is where his wife is from...or course with that being one of the two worst run hockey franchises, I can see why he located close to Boston but not in it.

Also, a comparison to Ty Cobb? Give me a break. Cobb was ultimate player...win at all costs. He gave his all for the Tigers. The racist issue does not relate to this argument. He gave his all as a Tiger. Something Federova never did.

Currently, I think Lidstrom is the only current player who will have his number retired without question. The others, there is question. Plus, one must consider the de facto retirement of Number 16. I think that this is the next number that should go up, though from what I understand, it is an unwritten rule already that no one will wear this number again.

The argument that Fedorov doesn't deserve it based on his personality has everything to do with Ty Cobb having a retired jersey despite being a blatant racist. Fedorov is the second best center to ever play for Detroit, and had he stayed in Detroit his jersey likely would have ended up in the rafters. The only reason it is even up for debate is the fact that he did leave. If he ends up returning, I can still see it happening, but as of right now there is zero chance.

The argument that Fedorov doesn't deserve it based on his personality has everything to do with Ty Cobb having a retired jersey despite being a blatant racist. Fedorov is the second best center to ever play for Detroit, and had he stayed in Detroit his jersey likely would have ended up in the rafters. The only reason it is even up for debate is the fact that he did leave. If he ends up returning, I can still see it happening, but as of right now there is zero chance.

Ok. I am waiting for your discussion about it having everything to do with Ty Cobb being a racist...

Federov's actions were contrary to the team's benefit. He held out for most of one seaons for more money and then he left for more money. How does being a racist have anything to do with Cobb's desire to win and play hard for the Tigers? It cannot be argued that because of him no African American's were allowed on the team because that was league policy at the time.

I have no problem if you can draw an example of a player leaving for money and holding and still getting his number retired by this whole Cobb thing still makes no sense.

Ok. I am waiting for your discussion about it having everything to do with Ty Cobb being a racist...

Federov's actions were contrary to the team's benefit. He held out for most of one seaons for more money and then he left for more money. How does being a racist have anything to do with Cobb's desire to win and play hard for the Tigers? It cannot be argued that because of him no African American's were allowed on the team because that was league policy at the time.

I have no problem if you can draw an example of a player leaving for money and holding and still getting his number retired by this whole Cobb thing still makes no sense.

Fedorov in 98 held out all season and got a contract that paid him 38 million over six years, which was less than his market value. He held out all season and was UNDERPAID when he finally signed. That's not holding out for more money; that's holding out for FAIR PAYMENT.

In 2003, he left for a 5 year deal worth 40m, instead of staying on a 4 year deal worth 40m. In other words, he left for LESS money.

So it comes back to the 'well Fedorov was a whiny ***** who didn't try hard.' Fedorov may have been inconsistent in the regular season, but while he was a Red Wing there were no players in the world who could be counted on for playoff scoring more than Sergei. He was also a two-time Selke winner and played that kind of defense in the playoffs.

I'll bring an interesting counter-argument to your money position. Mark Messier. He ditched the Rangers for the Canucks because of money. He won a Hart and a Cup in New York. Fedorov had a better career with Detroit than Messier with New York. More awards, more points, more Cups.

Please explain to me how Messier deserves his number retired in NY given the way he left.

Please explain to me how Messier deserves his number retired in NY given the way he left.

I'll explain why Messier deserves it and Federov doesn't in a brief and concise way: Messier played for the Rangers, and Federov played for the Red Wings.

Here is the expanded version:

Yes, both teams are origional 6 teams with long histories, but the history of the Rangers is very average. Perhaps you can remember when the Red Wings were the Dead Wings? Well, that's pretty much how it's been for NY since the NHL began. I mean, Richter was a very average goalie, and Messier is a bit of a ******, but the fact remains that they are all NY has to remember. That cup they won in 93-94 is all they have had since the stone age.

The Red Wings, on the other hand, have a long history of dedicated players, players that were both statistically relivant and played hard. In some places, ala St. Louis, a guy like Brett Hull (for example) can play there for a few seasons and score a bunch of goals and accomplish jack s*** (in terms of postseason success), but that jack S*** is all they have ever accomplished, so why not relish in it? However, these 3 cups were not Detroit's only 3 cups, we've won more, SO ACT LIKE IT! Federov was great, blah blah blah, but in Hockeytown only the BEST of the BEST of the BEST get up there. Detroit should only retire a number when there is absolutely no reason or room for debate, like Yzerman. Who would ever have this debate about Steve Yzerman? I doubt u'd even see any debate over Lidstrom. But Federov? Osgood? Shannahan? MCCARTY???? uh... Do you people think this is an expansion team? Let Columbus retire Federov's number, this is Detroit.

So your argument is rationale w/r/t the Rangers. Your point being they are wrong. Then, the Wings should retire Federov's number because two wrongs make a right?

Oh and full props to RedWings Gone Wild for their discussion. See, he actually discussed the Wings and why Federov's number should not be retired by the WINGS. Thank you for sticking to the point and not drawing upon tangents that do not relate to the discussion. As his ideas are superior to mine I will now go sit in the corner and continue reading not to rejoin this discussion unless improper analogies rear their ugly heads again.

Edited by dirac

Fedorov's number will not be retired.

After Lidstrom, the next most likely candidate is not Fedorov or Shanahan, but Chris Osgood.

Osgoods jersey will never hang along side Sawchuk's. It's silly to suggest. Fedorov is a much more likely candidate for such an honor. He was the first Wing to win a Hart Trophy as league MVP since Gordie in '63. When will another Wing even be nominated in the future? Lidstrom's jeresy being hung is a sure thing. Fedorov is the next most likely. Much more so than Shanahan or Osgood. Reguardless of how fans may feel about his departure.

Osgoods jersey will never hang along side Sawchuk's. It's silly to suggest. Fedorov is a much more likely candidate for such an honor. He was the first Wing to win a Hart Trophy as league MVP since Gordie in '63. When will another Wing even be nominated in the future? Lidstrom's jeresy being hung is a sure thing. Fedorov is the next most likely. Much more so than Shanahan or Osgood. Reguardless of how fans may feel about his departure.

Osgood may play five more years. If he plays all those years with Detroit, and averages just 20 wins per season, he's the All-time wins leader for the franchise. If he averages 23, he passes Sawchuk's career mark.

His number should absolutely be retired for all that he did in Detroit, but I don't think it will because of some of the reasons that previous posters already mentioned. To me, I don't see why it should matter what he did after he left Detroit. Teams retire players' numbers due to their career with that team, and not based on what the player did elsewhere. Feds was never washed up in Detroit, and was one of the 10 best players in the league throughout his entire career in Hockeytown. He played in every situation and was always great in big games. Besides, he spent 13 years in Detroit, which is more than Shanahan had, so I'm not going to make comparisons between the two. He didn't leave on the greatest terms, but players have left on much worse terms before. I just don't understand why a guy has to play his entire career with one team in order for fans to think that his number should be retired?

Guest Yzer19

Fedorov was a great player for the Red Wings. He played a big part in the 3 stanley cups. It's possible that his number will be retired. It won't happen right away like with Yzerman's number, but it would be in 5-10 years or so.

Even if it is not retired... I would like to see some young scrub actually try to wear the #91 in Detroit... That will never happen... #91 is as good as retired unless we get feds at the Trade Deadline :)